Re: Fowl Math

Message has been deleted

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Jul 31, 2008, 3:03:58 AM7/31/08
Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

>Can anyone help me figure this out, please?

Maybe.

>I paid .99/lb for a chicken and made some broth to freeze
>for future use.

A P pound chicken?

>My yield was 1.6 lbs of *pure ground chicken meat and 7 full
>quarts of broth.

So the cost of the pure chicken was about $0.99P/1.6lb.

>The ingredients that went into the broth were from the garden so I can't
>for the life of me figure out how to calculate the cost of
>the seeds or plants.

The seeds and plants woulda been bought, no?

>Water was done by irrigation water shares and by flood so
>no pump electricity was used for watering.

How do you start a flood?

>The time on my electric range to cook the chicken down was
>a total of 5 hours over the course of two days.

Maybe 5 hours x 200 watts = 1 kWh worth about 10 cents.

>What would the price per pound of the chicken really be
>when all is said and done?

About $(0.10+0.99P)/1.6lb.

>And would I need to deduct the cost of the broth from the total?

No.

>I should know how to do this and it's driving me crazy.

The calculations seem easy enough, but what's the goal? You might compare
the cost of the chicken with the cost of 1.6 pounds of pure chicken from
a deli plus the cost of 7 quarts of chicken broth in cans and calculate
your equivalent hourly wage from that.

Nick

Message has been deleted

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 31, 2008, 2:35:59 PM7/31/08
On 31 Jul 2008 15:04:16 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

<snipped>
>I do plan on raising chickens next year so by knowing
>what the price is this way I can compare it later on when
>I'm growing my own.

Terri,

While I am a fan of self-sufficiency and home-grown food, I can tell
you from recent experience that there is no way that you can home
raise and butcher chickens at a cost anywhere near $1.00/lb.

Right off the top, you have the expense of the housing. If you have
predators in the area, then you can forget using chicken wire as
sufficient caging - unless - you are willing to take a chance on
losing your entire investment in one night. Figure a minimum coop or
tractor cost of $50 if you construct it yourself. A much more
comfortable figure would be $250 for something with more space.

Next, the price of my last 50 lb bag of grower/finisher feed at
Tractor Supply was $15. It took a little over a week for 17 of my 14
week old culls to go through that, plus table scraps, plus the wormy
corn from the garden. The culls are Cobbs, which have been ruthlessly
bred for feed to meat efficiency, so expect even higher feed costs
from other breeds.

Don't forget the expense of butchering. If you value your time at
even minimum wage, you lose money. I figure about 20 minutes per
bird. The job is messy and the chickens don't appreciate it.

Then there are the intangibles. I'm now recovering from a nice (not!)
bout of salmonella. The prime suspects are eggs from a neighbor's
home operation (maybe), some cheap hot dogs from save-a-lot
(unlikely), and my caring for and butchering of the chickens(most
likely). Chickens poop... a lot. Broiler breeds don't roost like
others, but just plop down when they get bored with standing. Unless
they have a huge area, they inevitably lie on their poop (as well as
eat it while scratching for other food). Moving a tractor twice a day
or keeping a minimal number of birds might minimize the problem, but
in summer you have to look for shady spots, and in winter...

The point is that with broilers, unless you want to run the birds
through a car wash or the dishwasher before butchering, there is going
to be some poop on them, something that a lot of literature
conveniently forgets to mention. Processing plants have methods of
safely dealing with this, home growers have to figure things out as
best they can.

Even though I got my birds for free, and they were nearly market
weight, I have to estimate my costs at a minimum of $10/bird. The
process has been educational and fun at times, but unless the cost of
whole chickens reaches $4 or more per pound, I won't be raising any
more birds for meat. The economic incentive just isn't there.

The more I grasp the way that chickens are raised and processed
commercially, the more in awe I am of the systems.

Steve IA

Jul 31, 2008, 2:35:11 PM7/31/08
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote in news:i6u394thmpk3t9knst9orafi1nmkaf2lhh@
4ax.com:

> On 31 Jul 2008 15:04:16 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>>I do plan on raising chickens next year so by knowing
>>what the price is this way I can compare it later on when
>>I'm growing my own.
>
> Terri,
>
> While I am a fan of self-sufficiency and home-grown food, I can tell
> you from recent experience that there is no way that you can home
> raise and butcher chickens at a cost anywhere near $1.00/lb.

But the difference in quality makes up for the added expenses.

> Right off the top, you have the expense of the housing. If you have
> predators in the area, then you can forget using chicken wire as
> sufficient caging - unless - you are willing to take a chance on
> losing your entire investment in one night. Figure a minimum coop or
> tractor cost of $50 if you construct it yourself. A much more
> comfortable figure would be $250 for something with more space.

This can be amortized ove ther next X years. Chickens give little wear/tear
to fence and coop.

> Next, the price of my last 50 lb bag of grower/finisher feed at
> Tractor Supply was $15. It took a little over a week for 17 of my 14
> week old culls to go through that, plus table scraps, plus the wormy
> corn from the garden. The culls are Cobbs, which have been ruthlessly
> bred for feed to meat efficiency, so expect even higher feed costs
> from other breeds.

Feed has increased (doubled?) in the last few years what with the demand
for corn.

> Don't forget the expense of butchering. If you value your time at
> even minimum wage, you lose money. I figure about 20 minutes per
> bird. The job is messy and the chickens don't appreciate it.

Our locker charges $1.50/bird, plucked, cleaned, cooled to 40F. We cut em
up and package for 2 adults.

> Even though I got my birds for free, and they were nearly market
> weight, I have to estimate my costs at a minimum of $10/bird. The
> process has been educational and fun at times, but unless the cost of
> whole chickens reaches $4 or more per pound, I won't be raising any
> more birds for meat. The economic incentive just isn't there.

We paid 85¢/chick and raise 20-25 each year. Have been for 8-10 years.
They are ready to butcher in 6-7 weeks. Again, the quality of the meat is
SO much better than store bought from the chicken factories as to be
uncomparable. Once you've eaten it you'll see that store-bought tastes like
spotted-owl, or worse.

Steve
41N

Dennis

Jul 31, 2008, 3:59:40 PM7/31/08
On 31 Jul 2008 04:21:14 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

>Can anyone help me figure this out, please?

>I paid .99/lb for a chicken and made some broth to freeze
>for future use.

>My yield was 1.6 lbs of *pure ground chicken meat and 7 full
>quarts of broth.

>* meaning no bones in the grinder-I handpicked the carcass
>so the weight of the meat was just that, meat only and I have
>an accurate scale.

>The ingredients that went into the broth were from the garden so I can't
>for the life of me figure out how to calculate the cost of
>the seeds or plants.

>That's problem #1.
>The bones were used for simmering and later put into the
>compost bin.

>Water was done by irrigation water shares and by flood so
>no pump electricity was used for watering.

>The time on my electric range to cook the chicken down was
>a total of 5 hours over the course of two days.

>I'm not including any of my time spent processing the chicken.
>Problem #2 is:

>What would the price per pound of the chicken really be

>when all is said and done? And would I need to deduct

>the cost of the broth from the total?
>

>I should know how to do this and it's driving me crazy.

While you're at it, maybe you can also figure out if a chicken and a
half can lay an egg and a half in a day in a half, how long will it
take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a
dill pickle?
;-)

Dennis (evil)

Dennis

Jul 31, 2008, 4:14:36 PM7/31/08
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:35:59 -0600, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

<chicken ranching trevails snipped>

>Even though I got my birds for free, and they were nearly market
>weight, I have to estimate my costs at a minimum of $10/bird. The
>process has been educational and fun at times, but unless the cost of
>whole chickens reaches $4 or more per pound, I won't be raising any
>more birds for meat. The economic incentive just isn't there.
>
>The more I grasp the way that chickens are raised and processed
>commercially, the more in awe I am of the systems.

Were the butchered birds at least palatable? Our experience was that
the meat from our home-raised, free-range, home-butchered clucks was
roughly the consistency of old boot leather. Pretty much inedible no
matter how we cooked it (we finally just made broth and fed the rest
to the dog and cat). My theory is that we waited too long to butcher,
but given the initial results we haven't been very eager to try again.
Big disappointment and, as you experienced, not cost effective. Eggs
are much better, but still barely break even on feed costs.

One thing we did learn was that we could take our tough old roosters
to the local poutry auction and get $8-10 a piece for them. I have no
idea why people pay that for a rooster -- maybe just to add genetic
diversity to their own flocks? Anyway, it makes an outlet for the
excess roosters and pays for the gas to haul them to auction.

Our clucks are mostly a hobbie. Two daughters raise and show them for
4H and DW is a 4H leader. Plus we get all the eggs we can eat and
sell the excess to a small list of regular buyers.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dennis

Jul 31, 2008, 4:23:48 PM7/31/08
On 31 Jul 2008 20:16:01 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

>Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> While you're at it, maybe you can also figure out if a chicken and a
>> half can lay an egg and a half in a day in a half, how long will it
>> take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a
>> dill pickle?
>> ;-)

>Hah! I'd forgotten just how evil you really are!
>
>Maybe I'll just go shoot and eat the neighbor's noisy peacocks.

Mmm... beer-can peacock ...

Message has been deleted

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 31, 2008, 5:46:56 PM7/31/08
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:35:11 +0200 (CEST), Steve IA <n...@xnews.netl>
wrote:

>Our locker charges $1.50/bird, plucked, cleaned, cooled to 40F. We cut em
>up and package for 2 adults.

>We paid 85¢/chick and raise 20-25 each year. Have been for 8-10 years.
>They are ready to butcher in 6-7 weeks.

If you are only raising for 6 to 7 weeks, the meat will obviously be
more tender than that from older birds. You stated that you have
$2.35 invested per bird, between purchase of chicks and butchering,
without the cost of feed factored in.

In a best case scenario, excluding any deaths or unusual events, a
2:1 feed to weight ratio means that a 4 lb bird would use 8 lb of
feed. Skipping any variations in cost of starter/finisher and using
the $15 bag from TSC, I get $2.40 feed cost per bird. That gets us to
$4.75/bird without any labor cost in raising them or amortization of
the coop. If a 4 lb bird in the market costs $4, then you are paying
at least 75 cents per bird more than someone who buys off-the-shelf.

While you may value the taste, economically, it still doesn't make
sense.

FWIW:
http://www.newfarm.org/columns/org_news/2005/0405/methionine.shtml

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 31, 2008, 7:16:37 PM7/31/08

----------------------
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice
cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide
everything." -- Josef V. Stalin

www.myspace.com/bodybuildinggranny

heavy on the country music. if you don't like country, scroll down for
some surprises.

"Terri" <Te...@micron.net> wrote in message

>> While you're at it, maybe you can also figure out if a chicken and a
>> half can lay an egg and a half in a day in a half, how long will it
>> take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a
>> dill pickle?
>> ;-)

> Hah! I'd forgotten just how evil you really are!
>
> Maybe I'll just go shoot and eat the neighbor's noisy peacocks.

which, of course, is why they have them. they, and geese, make excellent
watchfowl.

Dennis

Jul 31, 2008, 7:17:15 PM7/31/08
On 31 Jul 2008 20:31:14 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

>While we've got 5.5 acres, it comes with coyotes, fox, hawks, owls,
>badgers, raccoons and the occasional roaming dog.
>I'd need a fortress to lock them up in at night. We're thinking
>of using some spare bricks that came with the place and running
>some hot wire around the outside to plug in at night. I'd
>set it up in back of the shop near power so I can also keep
>the water thawed in the winter.

We've lost clucks to coyotes, raccoons and cars (why DID the chicken
cross the road, anyway?). The eagles and hawks like to eyeball the
flock, but so far haven't worked up the courage to grab anything.
Having a chicken-friendly farm dog helps keep the predators at bay.
(Do you still have your dogs?)

>I'm curious, would you do it for eggs and bug control only? With
>a different breed, of course.

Try a few Americanas -- they lay cool-looking blue-green eggs (normal
inside).

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 31, 2008, 7:19:52 PM7/31/08

>> The point is that with broilers, unless you want to run the birds
>> through a car wash or the dishwasher before butchering, there is going
>> to be some poop on them, something that a lot of literature
>> conveniently forgets to mention. Processing plants have methods of
>> safely dealing with this, home growers have to figure things out as
>> best they can.

so do the eggs. all comes from the same place.

Message has been deleted

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 31, 2008, 9:42:18 PM7/31/08
On 31 Jul 2008 20:31:14 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

>This is one of the main reasons we're not even thinking about getting
>any just yet. That and the fact that until I sell my other house
>money is tight right now.

>While we've got 5.5 acres, it comes with coyotes, fox, hawks, owls,
>badgers, raccoons and the occasional roaming dog.
>I'd need a fortress to lock them up in at night. We're thinking
>of using some spare bricks that came with the place and running
>some hot wire around the outside to plug in at night. I'd
>set it up in back of the shop near power so I can also keep
>the water thawed in the winter.

Sounds plausable.

>> Next, the price of my last 50 lb bag of grower/finisher feed at
>> Tractor Supply was $15. It took a little over a week for 17 of my 14
>> week old culls to go through that, plus table scraps, plus the wormy
>> corn from the garden. The culls are Cobbs, which have been ruthlessly
>> bred for feed to meat efficiency, so expect even higher feed costs
>> from other breeds.

>That's good to know. Thanks, Harry.

da nada

>Having once been party to butchering @50 old chickens once as a kid,
>I flat refuse to ever do it again. Paying someone to do the deed
>is money well spent to me. <shudder>
>I'd rather pump out a septic tank with a garden hose.
>:)

pfft Septic tank with a hose? Child's play. Siphoning it out and
starting the siphon by hand, otoh...

>I'm not sure yet what breeds we're interested in. I want both eggs
>and meat.

Discussions here:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

>There is one other aspect of this that I hadn't mentioned and that is
>that I'm in the process of getting an organic rating. There is a large
>chain health food store moving in my area next year and a big organic
>market opening up. In addition to the chickens I'm eyeballing the
>possibility of growing heirloom tomatoes.

The chickens should love eating them :-)

>I'm curious, would you do it for eggs and bug control only? With
>a different breed, of course.

Dunno. Just too many predators around to let them free range. If
they could just be trained to use a litter box...

Seriously, the chicken litter from broiler houses is a valuable
commodity, probably worth more than the bug control. The folks around
here who want bug control get guineas.

Remember that is you are feeding chickens, rats like chicken feed.

Dennis

Jul 31, 2008, 9:41:10 PM7/31/08
On 1 Aug 2008 00:19:57 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

>Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> We've lost clucks to coyotes, raccoons and cars (why DID the chicken
>> cross the road, anyway?). The eagles and hawks like to eyeball the
>> flock, but so far haven't worked up the courage to grab anything.
>> Having a chicken-friendly farm dog helps keep the predators at bay.
>> (Do you still have your dogs?)
>

>No. I lost Luke in Jan of '06 and Mojo in July of the same year.

Sorry to hear that. I had to have my Dobie, Kylie, put down in Jan
'07. Her heart gave out at 5 years old. I guess it is fairly common
with Dobies (and Boxers). Tough couple of months watching her go
downhill.

>Taffy is our only remaining Katrina dog now and she's getting pretty
>old.
>We've added a *Carmine to the herd now. He grew up
>with geese and other birds just fine. The only birds he hates
>are peacocks.
>"Good boy Carmine, good boy."
>

>*Carmine is a black Lab and the best dog in the world. I may stick
>with Labs now instead of GSDs.

I had a shepherd/lab mix when I was a teenager -- the best of both
worlds!

We have a 2 y.o. Blue Heeler mix that we rescued from the pound last
summer. She is great with the kids, cats and livestock, but so far
doesn't play well with other dogs. Too isolated out here with few
opportunities to socialize, I guess.

>>>I'm curious, would you do it for eggs and bug control only? With
>>>a different breed, of course.
>>
>> Try a few Americanas -- they lay cool-looking blue-green eggs (normal
>> inside).

>Are they related to the Anacondas?
>It's been so long since I've been around chicken raising endevours that I
>don't even know of some of the breeds now.
>It used to be Rhodes, Bantys or Big White ones were the only choices.

We (and really, I mean my wife -- she is the chicken herder -- I just
build coops and haul feed sacks ;-) started out with New Hampshire
Reds, but have added assorted other breeds (Leghorns, Americanas,
Polish, Banties, Barred Rock, Silkies, etc) over the years. Now it is
a just a menagerie -- some of the crosses look pretty interesting!

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Marsha

Jul 31, 2008, 9:45:57 PM7/31/08
Dennis wrote:
> Sorry to hear that. I had to have my Dobie, Kylie, put down in Jan
> '07. Her heart gave out at 5 years old. I guess it is fairly common
> with Dobies (and Boxers). Tough couple of months watching her go
> downhill.
>
> I had a shepherd/lab mix when I was a teenager -- the best of both
> worlds!
>
> Dennis (evil)

Sorry to horn in on your conversation, but we have a lab/shepherd and
she is definitely the best of both worlds. Feisty, compliant, large,
extremely smart, manipulative, and loyal. She's 12 now, in the winter
of her life, but still very healthy. She will be hard to replace. We
were thinking about a Dobie or a Boxer next time....maybe not?

Marsha/Ohio

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 31, 2008, 11:04:03 PM7/31/08
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:14:36 +0000 (UTC), Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Were the butchered birds at least palatable? Our experience was that
>the meat from our home-raised, free-range, home-butchered clucks was
>roughly the consistency of old boot leather. Pretty much inedible no
>matter how we cooked it (we finally just made broth and fed the rest
>to the dog and cat). My theory is that we waited too long to butcher,
>but given the initial results we haven't been very eager to try again.
>Big disappointment and, as you experienced, not cost effective. Eggs
>are much better, but still barely break even on feed costs.

Haven't felt well enough to even think about eating one yet. I do know
the breast of one of the ones I butchered felt tough. We'll see in a
few days. There are ways of cooking that make this less of a problem.

>One thing we did learn was that we could take our tough old roosters
>to the local poutry auction and get $8-10 a piece for them. I have no
>idea why people pay that for a rooster -- maybe just to add genetic
>diversity to their own flocks? Anyway, it makes an outlet for the
>excess roosters and pays for the gas to haul them to auction.

Sounds like there might be cock fights around there. Sacrificial
sparring partners perhaps?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

Aug 1, 2008, 5:49:31 AM8/1/08
Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:
>nicks...@ece.villanova.edu wrote

>>>I paid .99/lb for a chicken and made some broth to freeze
>>>for future use.
>>
>> A P pound chicken?

>You lost me here.

Suppose the chicken weighed 4 pounds, ie P = 4.

>> So the cost of the pure chicken was about $0.99P/1.6lb.

P = 4 makes the 1.6 pounds of pure chicken product cost $2.48 per pound.

>>>Water was done by irrigation water shares and by flood so
>>>no pump electricity was used for watering.
>>
>> How do you start a flood?

>We turn the head gate valve on and open the sliders on the irrigation pipe.

Two businessmen are on the beach in Florida. One asks "How did you get
the money to retire down here?" The other says "I had a warehouse, and
it burned down, and the insurance company paid for it." The first says
"I had a factory, and it was destroyed by a flood." The other asks...

>>>The time on my electric range to cook the chicken down was
>>>a total of 5 hours over the course of two days.
>>
>> Maybe 5 hours x 200 watts = 1 kWh worth about 10 cents.
>>
>>>What would the price per pound of the chicken really be
>>>when all is said and done?
>>
>> About $(0.10+0.99P)/1.6lb.

That raises the price of the pure chicken product to $2.54/lb.

Nick

Steve IA

Aug 1, 2008, 7:17:27 AM8/1/08
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote in news:vba494pufpmlt08kpv02pln79ueimanmpn@
4ax.com:

> While you may value the taste, economically, it still doesn't make
> sense.

I guess it gets back to the semi-annual "frugal vs. value" discussion.
Plus I don't have your faith in the cleanliness of the poultry industry.
YMMV.

Steve
Southiowa

Steve IA

Aug 1, 2008, 7:20:51 AM8/1/08
Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote in news:Xns9AEC91998E3687544444@
130.133.1.18:

> Steve IA <n...@xnews.netl> wrote in

>> Our locker charges $1.50/bird, plucked, cleaned, cooled to 40F. We cut
>> em up and package for 2 adults.
>

> That's pretty good. The local place I was looking at charges $3.00/bird:
> http://www.homegrownpoultry.net/

Oops! the SO just corrected me. It was $2/bird.

Steve

hchi...@hotmail.com

Aug 1, 2008, 1:45:39 PM8/1/08
On 1 Aug 2008 04:06:00 GMT, Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

>hchi...@hotmail.com wrote in
>
>I keep returning to this:

>> Next, the price of my last 50 lb bag of grower/finisher feed at
>> Tractor Supply was $15. It took a little over a week for 17 of my 14
>> week old culls to go through that, plus table scraps, plus the wormy
>> corn from the garden. The culls are Cobbs, which have been ruthlessly
>> bred for feed to meat efficiency, so expect even higher feed costs
>> from other breeds.
>

>It's the amount of feed per week that bothers me as it seems
>absolutely enormous over what I remember the grandparents
>feeding their chickens. A 50 lb bag of feed for Carmine
>lasts well over a month and a half around here.
>Is it the breed that requires so much feed?

Possibly. They are voracious feeders.

Dennis

Aug 1, 2008, 1:08:05 PM8/1/08

I've had two Dobermans and they were, hands down, the best dogs I've
ever had. Spirited but gentle, smart and obediant, loyal and (almost
too) affectionate. The first one lived to 11 years, then developed
lesions on her spine, began losing control of her back half and had to
be put down. The second developed heart problems at 5 and also had to
be put down. Too much interbreeding with purebreds, I think.

Do some research on "enlarged cardio myopathy" before getting a Dobie
or a Boxer. Apparently as many as 50% of the dogs of those breeds are
affected. I had never heard about it until my second dog was
diagnosed. It is an ugly condition where the dog slowly swells and
drowns in its own fluids.

For our current dog, we intentionally went with a mixed breed from the
pound. No guarantees of course, but at least she doesn't have the
known bad health stats against her that some of the purebreds do.
She's a nice dog (mostly Blue Heeler aka Australian Cattle Dog), but I
still miss my Dobies.

Dennis (evil)
--
What government gives, it must first take away.

Dennis

Aug 1, 2008, 1:19:59 PM8/1/08
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:04:03 -0600, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:14:36 +0000 (UTC), Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:

>>One thing we did learn was that we could take our tough old roosters
>>to the local poutry auction and get $8-10 a piece for them. I have no
>>idea why people pay that for a rooster -- maybe just to add genetic
>>diversity to their own flocks? Anyway, it makes an outlet for the
>>excess roosters and pays for the gas to haul them to auction.
>
>Sounds like there might be cock fights around there. Sacrificial
>sparring partners perhaps?

Hmm, certainly possible -- lots of <insert ethnic group with a
tradition of cock fighting> around here in PNW. I didn't go to the
auction myself, so I don't know who was doing the buying.

It is kind of funny to watch them fight in the yard, at least the
initial ritualistic dance part. We try to break them up before anyone
really gets hurt, but there are usually some bloody/scabbed combs.
One rooster is missing an eye. Can't babysit them all the time.

Fricken' feathered lizards...

The Real Bev

Aug 4, 2008, 1:56:33 AM8/4/08
Terri wrote:

> Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> While you're at it, maybe you can also figure out if a chicken and a
>> half can lay an egg and a half in a day in a half, how long will it
>> take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a
>> dill pickle?
>> ;-)

> Hah! I'd forgotten just how evil you really are!
>
> Maybe I'll just go shoot and eat the neighbor's noisy peacocks.

Report back, possibly with recipes. I'm sure the people in Arcadia
(wild free-range PROTECTED peacocks, but I doubt anybody would tattle).
Damn things poop green glue.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If your mechanic claims that he stands behind his brake jobs, keep

-- B. Ward

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Aug 5, 2008, 8:20:52 PM8/5/08
Terri wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Terri wrote::

>>> Hah! I'd forgotten just how evil you really are!
>>>
>>> Maybe I'll just go shoot and eat the neighbor's noisy peacocks.
>>
>> Report back, possibly with recipes. I'm sure the people in Arcadia
>> (wild free-range PROTECTED peacocks,
>

> Wait. Protected?? WHY?

Because. Lucky Baldwin imported them for his "ranch" and they've
multiplied handily. The city fathers think they're a tourist attraction
or something and there's a law against molesting the peacocks. They're
awfully pretty and the babies are cute, but I would think that the
screaming gets pretty old pretty quickly.

>> but I doubt anybody would tattle).
>> Damn things poop green glue.
>>

> Oddly enough, since I posted that I've noticed there hasn't been a
> single peacock heard. I've also noticed a huge increase in coyote
> calls lately as well.
> Coincidence?
> Might have to leave an extra snack for Wile E.

You obviously forgot that coyotes can read. They don't post much, but
they lurk a lot.

--
Cheers,
Bev

manny

Aug 10, 2008, 4:27:55 PM8/10/08
On Jul 31, 12:03�am, nicksans...@ece.villanova.edu wrote:
> Terri �<Te...@micron.net> wrote:
> >Can anyone help me figure this out, please?
>
> Maybe.

> >I paid .99/lb for a chicken and made some broth to freeze
> >for future use.
>
> A P pound chicken?
>
> >My yield was 1.6 lbs of *pure ground chicken meat and 7 full
> >quarts of broth.

> So the cost of the pure chicken was about $0.99P/1.6lb.
>
> >The ingredients that went into the broth were from the garden so I can't
> >for the life of me figure out how to calculate the cost of
> >the seeds or plants.
>
> The seeds and plants woulda been bought, no?

> >Water was done by irrigation water shares and by flood so
> >no pump electricity was used for watering.
>
> How do you start a flood?
>
> >The time on my electric range to cook the chicken down was
> >a total of 5 hours over the course of two days.
>
> Maybe 5 hours x 200 watts = 1 kWh worth about 10 cents.
>
> >What would the price per pound of the chicken really be
> >when all is said and done?
>
> About $(0.10+0.99P)/1.6lb.
>
> >And would I need to deduct the cost of the broth from the total?
>
> No.
>
> >I should know how to do this and it's driving me crazy.
>
> The calculations seem easy enough, but what's the goal? You might compare
> the cost of the chicken with the cost of 1.6 pounds of pure chicken from
> a deli plus the cost of 7 quarts of chicken broth in cans and calculate
> your equivalent hourly wage from that.
>
> Nick

I am still wondering how you can possibly get 7 quarts of stock from
one damn chicken??? Manoli

clams_casino

Aug 10, 2008, 5:26:55 PM8/10/08
manny wrote:

>>Nick
>>

>I am still wondering how you can possibly get 7 quarts of stock from
>one damn chicken???

S t r e t c h

webs...@cox.net

Aug 10, 2008, 5:38:53 PM8/10/08
On Aug 5, 5:20 pm, The Real Bev <bashley101+use...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You obviously forgot that coyotes can read. They don't post much, but
> they lurk a lot.

They don't post. They hold up signs, usually just before their
cartoonish demise. Unfortunately, signs don't go well into the
internet.

Message has been deleted