Screened in porch winterizing

1 view

Jeff

Oct 24, 2007, 11:43:33 PM10/24/07
I've got a screened in north facing porch, that I obviously won't be
using this winter.

From a heat loss perspective is it worth stapling up plastic over the
screens? There's about 20' of adjoining house wall with some windows in
it. If it would reduce heat loss through the windows I suppose it might
be worth it. And if it was facing another direction it might have more
solar gain. Would this help with air infiltration loss? Or would any
benifits be marginal?

Any thoughts? Anyone done anything similar?

Jeff

Bob F

Oct 25, 2007, 11:40:45 AM10/25/07

"Jeff" <dont_...@all.uk> wrote in message

If the walls between the porch and the house are insulated, it probably won't
make any difference.

Bob

Cra...@nevermind.com

Oct 25, 2007, 2:02:05 PM10/25/07
In the Northeast, most folks do it, we did when we had a porch.
Cranky Old Man

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:40:45 -0700, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com>

Melissa

Oct 25, 2007, 3:14:04 PM10/25/07

"Jeff" <dont_...@all.uk> wrote in message

I grew up in a house with a porch like that. My dad made wooden frames with
plastic that he installed every winter. It made the porch usable on mild
winter days. The porch was accessed through a single exterior type door that
was heavily weatherstripped and sealed pretty well considering the age of
the house. We live in Northeast Ohio so mild days weren't uncommon.

Melissa

Jeff

Oct 25, 2007, 11:48:59 PM10/25/07
Cra...@nevermind.com wrote:

> In the Northeast, most folks do it, we did when we had a porch.
> Cranky Old Man

Thanks. I'll try it this winter. The walls are insulated (last year
with cellulous blown in) but there's a fair amount of windows and of
course, the door. Melissas point about removeable frames is interesting.

Jeff