best price on 2 GB SD card?

OhioGuy

Oct 8, 2007, 8:42:43 PM10/8/07
Anybody know of a great deal on SD cards? I need at least 2 of the 2GB
variety to use in a couple of card readers I have laying around. Thanks!

Daniel T.

Oct 8, 2007, 9:04:39 PM10/8/07
In article <feeiql$gia$1...@aioe.org>, "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote:

> Anybody know of a great deal on SD cards? I need at least 2 of the 2GB
> variety to use in a couple of card readers I have laying around. Thanks!

Probably about $12 for a 2GB card.

OhioGuy

Oct 8, 2007, 11:13:40 PM10/8/07
> Probably about $12 for a 2GB card.

That's what I've been looking for, but I only seem to be finding them for
$18. For just a bit over that, I could get a 4 GB flash drive.

Where did you see the 2 GB SD cards for $12?

Daniel T.

Oct 9, 2007, 6:11:09 AM10/9/07

amazon.com has them used for as little as $12 or new for about $15.

Shawn Hirn

Oct 9, 2007, 6:46:22 AM10/9/07
In article <feeiql$gia$1...@aioe.org>, "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote:

> Anybody know of a great deal on SD cards? I need at least 2 of the 2GB
> variety to use in a couple of card readers I have laying around. Thanks!

Sign up for buy.com's weekly emails. They sometimes have them for a few
dollars on sale there. Try also checking http://pricegrabber.com to see
what shows up.

James

Oct 9, 2007, 9:10:43 AM10/9/07
On Oct 8, 8:42 pm, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:
> Anybody know of a great deal on SD cards? I need at least 2 of the 2GB
> variety to use in a couple of card readers I have laying around. Thanks!

Another frugal hint - make sure your device can read 2GB SD cards.
Many older card readers, digital cameras and PDAs can only read up to
1GB cards. I didn't know this until I read a sign at a local
retailler. I then went to check my Palm Tungsten T3, and it will only
take up to 1 GB.

James

Dennis

Oct 9, 2007, 2:46:01 PM10/9/07

Also, depending on what you want to use it for, pay attention to the
read/write speeds. Many of the cheap SD cards are pretty slow.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

qingf...@sohu.com

Oct 10, 2007, 8:15:57 AM10/10/07

Free post your Classified Ads to www.TakeAuto.com
Classified Ads - Free ads for cars, business opportunities, jobs
Classified Ads · Select your area | Post an ad | Log in. Find.
Employment · Personals · Cars & Trucks · Home & Office Furniture ·
Pets & Supplies

turtlelover

Oct 10, 2007, 9:44:34 AM10/10/07
Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 06:10:43 -0700, James <jl...@idirect.com> wrote:
>

>>On Oct 8, 8:42 pm, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody know of a great deal on SD cards? I need at least 2 of the 2GB
>>>variety to use in a couple of card readers I have laying around. Thanks!
>>
>>Another frugal hint - make sure your device can read 2GB SD cards.
>>Many older card readers, digital cameras and PDAs can only read up to
>>1GB cards. I didn't know this until I read a sign at a local
>>retailler. I then went to check my Palm Tungsten T3, and it will only
>>take up to 1 GB.
>

> Also, depending on what you want to use it for, pay attention to the
> read/write speeds. Many of the cheap SD cards are pretty slow.
>
> Dennis (evil)

I know what you mean about the older cameras. I have an Olympus 2020z that uses a _maximum_ 64MB card. The cards are nowhere to be found ... for a reasonable price, anyway. I wouldn't expect retail locations to use valuable shelf space for "obsolete" (in their eyes) media; however, I would also hope that someone who has one for sale wouldn't expect big bucks for them.

Cheers,

Evelyn C. Leeper

Oct 10, 2007, 9:59:19 AM10/10/07
turtlelover wrote:
> Dennis wrote:

>>> Another frugal hint - make sure your device can read 2GB SD cards.
>>> Many older card readers, digital cameras and PDAs can only read up to
>>> 1GB cards. I didn't know this until I read a sign at a local
>>> retailler. I then went to check my Palm Tungsten T3, and it will only
>>> take up to 1 GB.
>>
>> Also, depending on what you want to use it for, pay attention to the
>> read/write speeds. Many of the cheap SD cards are pretty slow.
>
> I know what you mean about the older cameras. I have an Olympus 2020z
> that uses a _maximum_ 64MB card. The cards are nowhere to be found ...
> for a reasonable price, anyway. I wouldn't expect retail locations to
> use valuable shelf space for "obsolete" (in their eyes) media; however,
> I would also hope that someone who has one for sale wouldn't expect big
> bucks for them.

You might try asking in your local Freecycle group--people may have them
lying around because they don't use anything that small anymore.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
He who knows only his own side of the case

Dennis

Oct 10, 2007, 12:00:38 PM10/10/07
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:59:19 -0400, "Evelyn C. Leeper"
<ele...@optonline.net> wrote:

>You might try asking in your local Freecycle group--people may have them
>lying around because they don't use anything that small anymore.

Wow, I've been reading movie reviews by the Leepers for over 20 years.
I didn't know you hung out in mcf-l.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

turtlelover

Oct 10, 2007, 3:08:40 PM10/10/07

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried Freecycle. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try again!

Cheers,

Don K

Oct 10, 2007, 5:46:40 PM10/10/07
"turtlelover" <turtl...@DONOTenter.net> wrote in message

I set up the local freecycle to forward everything as email, and set up a message rule
to put it all into a freecycle folder.

When I'm looking for something-in-particular from freecycle I insert another
message rule that will execute first and put it into a freecycle-look folder.
You would do this by searching for keywords in the subject line such as
64MB or card or Olympus, etc.

I most recently did this when my daughter needed to replace her dryer. It took
about 3 months, but one eventually showed up. Actually a whole bunch of
dryers started showing up all at once, but she only needed the one.!

Don

turtlelover

Oct 10, 2007, 10:18:51 PM10/10/07

I already have the messages sent as a digest, so I guess I should first set it up for individual emails. Eek! We're a needy bunch where I live, so this could get out of hand. Thanks for the suggestion, Don!

Cheers,
Turtlelover

Jeff

Oct 16, 2007, 3:06:49 AM10/16/07
turtlelover wrote:

> Dennis wrote:

>>> Another frugal hint - make sure your device can read 2GB SD cards.
>>> Many older card readers, digital cameras and PDAs can only read up to
>>> 1GB cards. I didn't know this until I read a sign at a local
>>> retailler. I then went to check my Palm Tungsten T3, and it will only
>>> take up to 1 GB.
>>

>> Also, depending on what you want to use it for, pay attention to the
>> read/write speeds. Many of the cheap SD cards are pretty slow.
>>
>> Dennis (evil)
>

> I know what you mean about the older cameras. I have an Olympus 2020z
> that uses a _maximum_ 64MB card. The cards are nowhere to be found ...

I think a lot of that is in the card design. I don't know about SD, but
CF cards have the logic in them and not the camera. So no matter how
large a CF card will get, any camera that takes them will still see the
entire card (my old old elph that came with a 8MB CF card reads the 2GB,
no problem). Advertising tends to promote a products worst virtue in
hopes of covering that up.

Compact Flash, is the largest of memory sticks.

Smart Media, was the dumbest.

and Secure Digital may very well be the least secure as it can be read
by so many different devices.

Jeff

Gene S. Berkowitz

Oct 16, 2007, 10:29:08 PM10/16/07
In article <13h8oev...@corp.supernews.com>, dont_...@all.uk
says...

> I think a lot of that is in the card design. I don't know about SD, but
> CF cards have the logic in them and not the camera. So no matter how
> large a CF card will get, any camera that takes them will still see the
> entire card (my old old elph that came with a 8MB CF card reads the 2GB,
> no problem). Advertising tends to promote a products worst virtue in
> hopes of covering that up.
>
> Compact Flash, is the largest of memory sticks.
>
> Smart Media, was the dumbest.
>
> and Secure Digital may very well be the least secure as it can be read
> by so many different devices.
>
> Jeff

SD cards also have most of the logic required (flash controller and
drive emulation) built in. The primary difference is that CF offers a
16-bit wide parallel bus, while SD offers at most a 4-bit, though very
high speed, bus.

SD/MMC cards are designed to permit several to share the bus, but I have
yet to see a consumer device that accepts more than one at a time.

As with older PCs, many older devices will have trouble with cards
larger than 2GB, because the nature of the drive addressing changes.

As to the "secure" part, many devices don't use it at all; they operate
the card in MMC mode, which has no security. When the security
mechanism is activated, the card is very effective at protecting the
information without the correct key.

--Gene