purchasing affordable health insurance

1 view

som...@somedomain.com.invalid

Dec 30, 2007, 11:45:01 AM12/30/07
I am an international student(26 years old, weight 135 pounds, height 5 feet 8 inches and
don't have any pre-existing condition, single, no dependents) on F-1 student visa currently
attending a community college in Florida, U.S and plan to transfer to another community
college in few months. The link I found http://serveglobe.com/usa/insurance/international-student-quotes-compare.asp
gave some plans for a person like me and Study USA Plan B
http://www.serveglobe.com/insurance/affiliate/nriol/brochure/study-usa-insurance.pdf is for
56(51+5 application fee) per month as mentioned at http://www.travelinsure.com/what/susarate.htm?32701
and for subsequent renewals additional 5$. I hardly ever go to the doctor, but the plan
described there mentions they will cover only 80% of the first 25K. I am currently insured,
but the new college I am moving to does not offer health insurance to international students
like me, but requires one to purchase it before getting admitted.

Does something less expensive than this plan with less co-pay/deductible exist?
This seems to have a co-pay of 50 for in-network as http://www.travelinsure.com/what/susaboc.htm?32701

Has anyone ever heard of this company Study USA Plan(http://www.travelinsure.com/what/susahigh.htm)
and does the link http://www.serveglobe.com/insurance/affiliate/nriol/brochure/study-usa-insurance.pdf
seem legitimate? Someone told me its rates are too low to be a valid provider.

Blue Cross of Florida online, http://www.bcbsfl.com/ has a premium of 126 per month with
a deductible of 500 per individual and "No deductible for in-network well care,
but co-insurance for in-network services " It seems if I visit a in-network provider most likely
I will be charged 20% of the cost? This has a high deductible and 20% co-insurance.

I was told there is also HTH Worldwide(http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/) which is
86 for standard(100$ deductible and basic medical is covered only 80% till 10K) and 116
for preferred(100$ deductible and after basic medical of 5K, 80% till 245K)
as http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/students_plans.cfm.

Being new to purchasing health insurance on my own I don't know much about rates.
I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions on the plans, features I should look for or any
other things I need to be aware of.

Thanks

Shawn Hirn

Dec 31, 2007, 12:54:41 AM12/31/07
In article <4777cb0d$0$14873$a926...@news.buzzardnews.com>,
<som...@somedomain.com.invalid> wrote:

> I am an international student(26 years old, weight 135 pounds, height 5 feet
> 8 inches and
> don't have any pre-existing condition, single, no dependents) on F-1
> student visa currently
> attending a community college in Florida, U.S and plan to transfer to
> another community
> college in few months. The link I found
> http://serveglobe.com/usa/insurance/international-student-quotes-compare.asp
> gave some plans for a person like me and Study USA Plan B
> http://www.serveglobe.com/insurance/affiliate/nriol/brochure/study-usa-insuran
> ce.pdf is for
> 56(51+5 application fee) per month as mentioned at
> http://www.travelinsure.com/what/susarate.htm?32701
> and for subsequent renewals additional 5$. I hardly ever go to the doctor,
> but the plan
> described there mentions they will cover only 80% of the first 25K. I am
> currently insured,
> but the new college I am moving to does not offer health insurance to
> international students
> like me, but requires one to purchase it before getting admitted.
>
> Does something less expensive than this plan with less co-pay/deductible
> exist?

Check with your school. Some colleges offer a discount policy to
students.

Rod Speed

Dec 31, 2007, 1:03:22 AM12/31/07

Which part of 'the new college I am moving to does not offer health insurance
to international students like me' are you having a problem with ?

som...@somedomain.invalid.com

Dec 31, 2007, 9:07:10 PM12/31/07
>Check with your school. Some colleges offer a discount policy to
>students.

My present school has one, but when I transfer the current insurance will
not carry over. I can get my current insurance as an individual for my
transferring college, but will have to pay 400$ premium per month.

The school I am transferring to does not endorse any particular provider,
but requires their international students to purchase one. So, I have to
shop around to determine which is most affordable for someone like me.

Blue Cross Shield of Florida(http://www.bcbsfl.com/) has a premium of 126

per month with a deductible of 500 per individual and "No deductible for
in-network well care, but co-insurance for in-network services " It seems
if I visit a in-network provider most likely I will be charged 20% of the

cost? Did I understand it correctly?

Has anyone ever heard of this company Study USA Plan B and does this

(http://www.hthstudents.com/insurance.cfm) which is 86 for standard(100$

deductible and basic medical is covered only 80% till 10K) and 116 for

preferred(100$ deductible and after basic medical of 5K, 80% till 245K).
Can anyone please advise if the companies are valid?

Also, how can I find if a health insurance company is legitimate and
treats their customers claims properly or not?

There are some other companies like
http://www.visitorsinsurance.com/international_student.php which offer
coverage upto 500K for 54$ monthly premium whose benefits are at
http://www.visitorsinsurance.com/patriotexchange_plan.php#Benefits
but they mention 100% in co-insurance. What might that mean?
I thought co-insurance is typically 10-20%, but 100% means I am
responsible for all costs? Am I understanding properly?

I would appreciate any advice in determining which insurance companies
are valid and handle claims properly.

Thanks

som...@somedomain.invalid.com

Dec 31, 2007, 9:17:33 PM12/31/07
Rod Speed wrote

>Which part of 'the new college I am moving to does not offer health
>insurance
>to international students like me' are you having a problem with ?

I am moving from college A to college B. Presently, I have health
insurance through College A, but when I move to college B it will not
carry over as it was purchased as a group policy for college A students
only by college A. College B does not have any such health insurance
policies for its students, but requires its international students to
have health insurance. If I want to keep the same insurance which college
A provides me when I move to college B I have to get it as an individual
it is expensive about 300-400 per month for premium.

The problem is in finding a health insurance from a legitimate company
for an affordable price(less than 100) if possible which treats claims
properly so that I have health insurance for myself and to satisfy
college B's transfer requirements.

Thanks

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jan 1, 2008, 8:08:34 PM1/1/08

See if your new school can give you a list of insurance providers. Even
if they don't provide insurance, they may be able to point you in the
right direction.

Alternatively, ask other international students at the new school for
suggestions.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
I believe I found the missing link between animal