Regular Homeowner's H03 policy allowed for a Condo instead of H06?

JayN

Sep 16, 2008, 6:27:49 PM9/16/08
I live in a large Condo (it is a townhouse but is still a condo). I'm
shopping around for insurance, since my existing insurance company
raised the rates by 12%.

One agent, who works directly for one of the insurance companies, is
telling me that he checked with his manager, and they can write me a
regular Homeowner's policy HO3 instead which will be less expensive
than if I were covered on an HO6 (condo policy). He claims this is
allowed.

I believe the reason they are talking about an HO3 is because my
existing policy has almost 150K insured for the "Building Property" on
the inside of my unit. My unit is 3000 square feet if you include
the finished basement. They consider that to be unusual for a condo,
and he says that would be cheaper to just get a regular HO3, and they
claim this is allowed. The quote I am being giving is a couple
hundred less than what I am currently paying.

Just want to confirm that this is really allowed?

Thanks,

J.