Debbie Meyers GreenBags Review & Banana Freshness Experiment

Paul Michaels

Jul 29, 2008, 7:14:44 PM7/29/08
I got a package of the Debbie Meyer Green Bags for free from a family
member who always seems to be buying those sketchy As Seen On TV type
products.

To test them out, I took two new bananas and put one of them in a
green bag and left the other one out in the open air.

After leaving them alone in a dark corner of an air conditioned room
for four days, the banana in the green bag did seem to fare better.

The green bag banana had less black spots on the yellow skin, the
fruit inside was firmer, and the peel stayed yellow for longer after
it had been removed.

The open air banana had lots of black spots on the skin, the fruit was
noticeably mushier, and the peel turned very black a few minutes after
I peeled it off.

I admit that the experiment was a bit short, but we go shopping once a
week and fresh produce doesn't hang around too long in this household
before it is eaten.

Since the banana test, I've been casually using the bags for our
celery, romaine lettuce, tomatoes and carrots. It seems like the
produce stays fresher for longer but I haven't done any more
experiments.

The 20 bag package might be worth the $9.99 price if you buy produce
in bulk.

I posted pictures of the banana experiment in this photo gallery -
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Debbie-Meyer-Green-Bags-Consumer-Review

__
Cheers,
Paul Michaels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Al Bundy

Jul 30, 2008, 10:45:55 AM7/30/08
On Jul 29, 7:14 pm, Paul Michaels <PaulMichaels7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got a package of the Debbie Meyer Green Bags for free from a family
> member who always seems to be buying those sketchy As Seen On TV type
> products.
>
> To test them out, I took two new bananas and put one of them in a
> green bag and left the other one out in the open air.
>
> After leaving them alone in a dark corner of an air conditioned room
> for four days, the banana in the green bag did seem to fare better.
>
> The green bag banana had less black spots on the yellow skin, the
> fruit inside was firmer, and the peel stayed yellow for longer after
> it had been removed.
>
> The open air banana had lots of black spots on the skin, the fruit was
> noticeably mushier, and the peel turned very black a few minutes after
> I peeled it off.
>
> I admit that the experiment was a bit short, but we go shopping once a
> week and fresh produce doesn't hang around too long in this household
> before it is eaten.
>
> Since the banana test, I've been casually using the bags for our
> celery, romaine lettuce, tomatoes and carrots. It seems like the
> produce stays fresher for longer but I haven't done any more
> experiments.
>
> The 20 bag package might be worth the $9.99 price if you buy produce
> in bulk.

> __

> Cheers,
> Paul Michaels
> Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I just don't see the point in wasting money on special bags to
slightly delay the ripening process. If I can't eat it, I can freeze
it and keep it a lot longer than those silly bags. Also, it's not much
of a test to compare 50¢ bags with nothing. What would a regular bag
do? A paper bag? Plastic wrap? I really don't care anyway because I
use or freeze.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 31, 2008, 12:36:52 PM7/31/08
"Al Bundy" <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

the bags let the produce keep for a lot more than a couple of days longer.
and they can be washed and used several times. i prefer to eat my
produce fresh whenever possible, and freezing it required that it
be blanched first, thereby inactivating the very enzymes that i want.

they work a lot better than other wraps. but i get mine in the store,
and i don't think they have the debbie meyer name.