Exploding television...

1 view

Mary Mathews

Dec 18, 2007, 12:20:55 PM12/18/07

My sister's friend's TV exploded. The two ladies there were hurt and
taken to the hospital. The house burned to the ground. Does anyone here
know about exploding TV's and what we can do to prevent such an
accident? Thanks. Mary

Donna

Dec 18, 2007, 12:41:44 PM12/18/07
marya...@webtv.net (Mary Mathews) wrote in news:1227-47680177-845
@storefull-3318.bay.webtv.net:

No clue how to keep that from happening. My nephew had that happen once.
Fortunately for them, no one was hurt.

--
~Donna
http://www.frugalsewing.com

Don K

Dec 18, 2007, 1:25:34 PM12/18/07
"Mary Mathews" <marya...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Is that the official analysis and not a gas leak or something?

Anyway, the glass picture tube could break or a power supply
capacitor could short out.

Both are pretty rare events IMO, but you could further minimize
risk by getting a TV with an LCD display rather than a picture tube.

Don

sarge137

Dec 18, 2007, 3:04:28 PM12/18/07

Can't say for sure Mary, but I'd bet next month's mortgage payment
that there's way more to the story. Television don't "explode".

I've seen cases where house fires were started by faulty electrical
circuits in televisions, then the picture tube exploded from the heat
of the ensuing fire; but in over forty years I've never seen or even
heard of anyone being injured from a spontaneously exploding
television.

If you're really concerned about this I'd suggest you contact your
sister's friend and get all the facts.

Regards,
Sarge

Dennis

Dec 18, 2007, 3:16:06 PM12/18/07

Was there a penguin atop the telly at the time?

Dennis (evil)

Anthony Matonak

Dec 18, 2007, 3:57:38 PM12/18/07

I can suggest the obvious. Don't own a TV and fireproof the house.

Anthony

turtlelover

Dec 18, 2007, 4:38:16 PM12/18/07
Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:20:55 -0500, marya...@webtv.net (Mary
> Mathews) wrote:
>

>>My sister's friend's TV exploded. The two ladies there were hurt and
>>taken to the hospital. The house burned to the ground. Does anyone here
>>know about exploding TV's and what we can do to prevent such an
>>accident? Thanks. Mary
>

> Was there a penguin atop the telly at the time?
>
> Dennis (evil)

My thought exactly, Dennis. I see there's another Monty Python fan here!

Cheers,

Seerialmom

Dec 18, 2007, 5:57:43 PM12/18/07

Simplest answer: Don't have a TV in the house Second simplest answer:
Get an LCD TV; no pesky CRT to build up pressure and burst.

Seerialmom

Dec 18, 2007, 5:58:31 PM12/18/07

This sure sounds like a story for the Mythbusters, doesn't it?

Vic Smith

Dec 18, 2007, 6:00:57 PM12/18/07

Just have to bleed off the CRT pressure once in a while.
Problem solved.

Rod Speed

Dec 18, 2007, 6:08:12 PM12/18/07

CRTs dont build up pressure and burst, they have a vacuum in them.

imascot

Dec 18, 2007, 6:19:54 PM12/18/07
Vic Smith <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote in

How exactly is this done?

J.

Mark Anderson

Dec 18, 2007, 6:32:54 PM12/18/07
In article im...@mycomputer.now says...

> > Just have to bleed off the CRT pressure once in a while.
> > Problem solved.
> >

> How exactly is this done?

There's a little valve at the back up the picture tube. Use need a
small screwdriver to open the valve that lets the air bubbles out.

Don K

Dec 18, 2007, 6:45:37 PM12/18/07
"Mark Anderson" <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote in message

You could use a bleeder resistor, but that's just a band-aid approach.

Don K

Dec 18, 2007, 6:47:08 PM12/18/07

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

And once the bag gets filled, it explodes.

PaPaPeng

Dec 18, 2007, 6:50:06 PM12/18/07

A TV CRT is a vacuum tube. Should it fail it implodes not explode.
The tube itself is thin glass ande well protected by the TV box. In
front where the TV picture is, is a thick cornformal piece of glass
that protects the vacuum tube from imploding should you knock with a
piece of furniture or throw a can of beer at it. It take quite a
hammer force to break that protective glass layer. Next, should there
be a short circuit the main fuse from the power cord to the
transformer blows immediately. No power, no fire. The OP is making
up the story.

Dennis

Dec 18, 2007, 7:58:51 PM12/18/07
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:50:06 GMT, PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>A TV CRT is a vacuum tube. Should it fail it implodes not explode.

Having seen a large CRT burst first hand I can tell you that, to a
casual observer, there isn't a huge practical distinction. There is a
loud noise and little bits of glass go flying everywhere.

Dec 18, 2007, 8:01:24 PM12/18/07

"PaPaPeng" <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:04:28 -0800 (PST), sarge137
> <rboot...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>The OP is making up the story.

Well, duh! That's why it's so amusing!

Gary Heston

Dec 18, 2007, 11:59:33 PM12/18/07
In article <63ngm317ihhc292eu...@4ax.com>,
PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [ ... ] is a thick cornformal piece of glass [ ... ]

All this time, I though cornformal was a corn silk suit, and
it's a piece of glass.

Sigh.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

PaPaPeng

Dec 19, 2007, 4:22:33 AM12/19/07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:59:33 -0000, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
wrote:

>cornformal

Sigh. Two finger typing and sleepy eyes. 6 point type isn't exactly
kind on casual proof-reading.

To address another's comment. Smashing a TV crt is a staple
expression of anger in movies. The glass breaks and the bright light
goes fizz. For effect the prop guy may add a puff of smoke, probably
using black powder, and dub in the fizz soundtrack too. No electronic
component smokes that way. But no flying shards of glass that cut the
actor or another actor nearby. They use real TV sets not props (need
the video with scan lines or it'll look fake.) The stunt co-ordinator
knows the danger zone around smashing a TV set. Exploding glass from
an implosion there may be but they don't go far.

** Frank **

Dec 19, 2007, 9:23:04 AM12/19/07

"Mark Anderson" <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote in message

Removed a few CRTs myself and never saw any kind of mechanical valve.
Further, air doesn't bubble out, its a vacuum tube. Anyway, don't mess
around the inside of a CRT if you don't know what your are doing - high
voltage inside even if its disconnected from the power source and too easy
to cause an implosion.

** Frank **

Dec 19, 2007, 10:23:05 AM12/19/07

"PaPaPeng" <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I agree, sounds like the OP needed information to scam the insurance
company. I've taken a 12 pound sledgehammer to break up the front of a few
picture tubes - takes a few good whacks before I could crack it, after
releasing the vacuum first, of course. So very unlikely anyone could get
hurt from a CRT, and an implosion at that. Short circuit within the TV could
cause an explosion (a little pop that is) and the capacitor could explode
but no way could hurt anyone and the TV box should contain all of it. If the
TV catches on fire, for whatever reason, it would be most lightly a slow
fire and the friends of the sister let it burn. Sounds like they let the
house burn to the ground intentionally.

If the two ladies were hurt they were not watching a TV program, but more
likely fooling around inside the TV box and don't know what they were doing.

The assumption is CRT, but OP didn't say. Can't see LED, rear projection or
plasma panel could cause this kind of damage either. So what kind of TV is
she talking about?

Of course, this is all theory without having further information, but I
think the homeowner's insurance company has a strong cause to refuse payment
and possibly bring up fraud charges.

<RJ>

Dec 19, 2007, 11:29:09 AM12/19/07
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:20:55 -0500, marya...@webtv.net (Mary Mathews) wrote:

When TVs explode, the terrorists win !

<rj>

Mary Mathews

Dec 19, 2007, 2:32:42 PM12/19/07

Thanks for all this information. When the owner returns from the
hospital we might learn more. I do know that she had given a dinner
party that night. All the guests had left except one who had stayed to
help the hostess clean up. I doubt there was a mortgage on that home
that had been in the family for generations.

I only heard of a TV exploding once before. It was an American living in
Germany. I will ask her for details. It seems she had left it on while
she was away for a short time. Mary

Rod Speed

Dec 19, 2007, 2:47:58 PM12/19/07

Or there was no one to notice the fire when it happened, or they were asleep etc.

> If the two ladies were hurt they were not watching a TV program, but
> more likely fooling around inside the TV box and don't know what they
> were doing.

Or were asleep when the fire happened.

> The assumption is CRT, but OP didn't say. Can't see LED, rear
> projection or plasma panel could cause this kind of damage either. So what kind of TV is she talking about?

> Of course, this is all theory without having further information, but
> I think the homeowner's insurance company has a strong cause to
> refuse payment and possibly bring up fraud charges.

Nope, not when the occupants could be asleep when the fire happened.

Dennis

Dec 19, 2007, 4:12:07 PM12/19/07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:22:33 GMT, PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:59:33 -0000, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
>wrote:
>
>>cornformal
>

>Sigh. Two finger typing and sleepy eyes. 6 point type isn't exactly
>kind on casual proof-reading.
>
>To address another's comment. Smashing a TV crt is a staple
>expression of anger in movies. The glass breaks and the bright light
>goes fizz. For effect the prop guy may add a puff of smoke, probably
>using black powder, and dub in the fizz soundtrack too. No electronic
>component smokes that way. But no flying shards of glass that cut the
>actor or another actor nearby.

Most of us understand that movies are make-believe and don't make a
very compelling argument against actual firsthand personal experience.

>They use real TV sets not props (need
>the video with scan lines or it'll look fake.) The stunt co-ordinator
>knows the danger zone around smashing a TV set. Exploding glass from
>an implosion there may be but they don't go far.

*smirk* Now who's making things up?

Lou

Dec 19, 2007, 4:44:52 PM12/19/07

"Vic Smith" <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]

That doesn't make much sense - CRT's are vacuum tubes. A defective tube
would most likely implode, not explode.

That being said, TV's do apparently explode occasionally. See for instance
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1656362.ece

PaPaPeng

Dec 19, 2007, 6:58:19 PM12/19/07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:12:07 -0800, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:22:33 GMT, PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:59:33 -0000, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>cornformal
>>

>>Sigh. Two finger typing and sleepy eyes. 6 point type isn't exactly
>>kind on casual proof-reading.
>>
>>To address another's comment. Smashing a TV crt is a staple
>>expression of anger in movies. The glass breaks and the bright light
>>goes fizz. For effect the prop guy may add a puff of smoke, probably
>>using black powder, and dub in the fizz soundtrack too. No electronic
>>component smokes that way. But no flying shards of glass that cut the
>>actor or another actor nearby.
>
>Most of us understand that movies are make-believe and don't make a
>very compelling argument against actual firsthand personal experience.

I had fixed many computer monitors, CRT and LCD displays (job related)
and my own TV sets. After being zapped once 30 years ago I had
never been zapped thereafter. I can find my way around any CRT or
LCD display without breaking or smoking any parts. In that sense I
don't have much experience with dangerous CRTs. I have never come
across one myself or heard of a piece of consumer electronics
equipment bursting into flames from people in the
electronics/electrical equipment trade. For the hell of it I tried
breaking a 23 inch TV set to find out what it would take to do it.
Believe me they build them real strong. You can drop it off a table
for example and the box will be dinged badly without the tube
shattering.

In modern equipment (ie anything 20 years old or newer) the parts are
so small and draw so little juice that even if a component does smoke
(short circuit) the worst that happens is a charred spot smaller than
a shirt button. Often you cannot even spot the part that failed.
Ergo modern electronics are not repairable on account of very highly
integrated parts (a whole function block in a single chip). The
electrical interconnects are thinner than a human hair and the whole
board is sealed under a thick polymer coating. The slightest
electrical surge and some electrical trace will vaporize somewhere.
There is no heat build-up to start any sparks or flames. A 32 inch
CRT TV has only a single board. If that goes the only option is to
replace the whole board. And since model changes happen in less than
a year that TV, and just about every modern electronics gadget, is as
good as a tosser.

>>They use real TV sets not props (need
>>the video with scan lines or it'll look fake.) The stunt co-ordinator
>>knows the danger zone around smashing a TV set. Exploding glass from
>>an implosion there may be but they don't go far.
>
>*smirk* Now who's making things up?

When a TV tube implodes some fragments will bounce. They don't go
far. I know what I am talking about. If you want to worry yourself
about exploding TV tubes be my guest.

>Dennis (evil)

John Savage

Dec 19, 2007, 7:10:29 PM12/19/07
marya...@webtv.net (Mary Mathews) writes:
>My sister's friend's TV exploded. The two ladies there were hurt and
>taken to the hospital. The house burned to the ground. Does anyone here
>know about exploding TV's and what we can do to prevent such an
>accident? Thanks. Mary

Were your friends injured by pieces of exploding tv, or by the fire?

The possibilities? Maybe the set had taken a heavy bump at some time,
(even as far back as when it was transported from factory to retailer)
weakening the glass of the picture tube in some area, and eventually
thermal stresses exceeded its breaking point and the collapse caused
electrical sparking that set fire to something flammable.

If the set was old, an accumulation of dust inside the set where high
voltages are present could have caused a partial short circuit that
overheated plastic, causing it to smoulder and burst into flame. (It
doesn't even need an accumulation of dust; a component failure in a
critical location can do that.)

Rod Speed

Dec 19, 2007, 9:10:53 PM12/19/07

Thats wrong. There are still a few components on that that can be
replaced cheaply if they are what has failed, most obviously with the
diodes that rectify the mains etc and they are often what has failed
because they are the most highly electrically stressed components.

> And since model changes happen in less than a year that TV, and
> just about every modern electronics gadget, is as good as a tosser.

Depends on whether you are paying for your time or not.

The Real Bev

Dec 20, 2007, 1:11:54 AM12/20/07
Dennis wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:20:55 -0500, marya...@webtv.net (Mary
> Mathews) wrote:
>>

>>My sister's friend's TV exploded. The two ladies there were hurt and
>>taken to the hospital. The house burned to the ground. Does anyone here
>>know about exploding TV's and what we can do to prevent such an
>>accident? Thanks. Mary
>

> Was there a penguin atop the telly at the time?

Bastard, I was going to say that.

--
Cheers, Bev
If I gave a shit, you'd be the first one I'd give it to.

The Real Bev

Dec 20, 2007, 1:15:56 AM12/20/07
Don K wrote:

> "Mark Anderson" <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote:
>> im...@mycomputer.now says...
>>>
>>> How exactly is this done?
>>
>> There's a little valve at the back up the picture tube. Use need a
>> small screwdriver to open the valve that lets the air bubbles out.

The Brits call them valves, but we yanks call them tubes. Either one
will work. Just make sure you use an insulated screwdriver.

> You could use a bleeder resistor, but that's just a band-aid approach.

Expensive and hard to find. Where did you get yours?

--
Cheers, Bev
Giving advice likely to kill the stupid is called passive eugenics.

The Real Bev

Dec 20, 2007, 1:17:18 AM12/20/07
Dennis wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:50:06 GMT, PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>A TV CRT is a vacuum tube. Should it fail it implodes not explode.
>
> Having seen a large CRT burst first hand I can tell you that, to a
> casual observer, there isn't a huge practical distinction. There is a
> loud noise and little bits of glass go flying everywhere.

Which is why it's so cool to toss one into a big dumpster and then run
like hell!

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2007, 3:30:56 AM12/20/07
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

> Don K wrote
>> Mark Anderson <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote
>>> im...@mycomputer.now wrote

>>> There's a little valve at the back up the picture tube. Use need a
>>> small screwdriver to open the valve that lets the air bubbles out.

> The Brits call them valves,

Not with CRTs they dont.

> but we yanks call them tubes. Either one will work.

Not with CRTs they dont.

> Just make sure you use an insulated screwdriver.

You dont need to do that with the valve that lets the air out.

>> You could use a bleeder resistor, but that's just a band-aid approach.

> Expensive and hard to find. Where did you get yours?

Make it.

John Savage

Dec 20, 2007, 6:46:53 AM12/20/07
I wrote:
>marya...@webtv.net (Mary Mathews) writes:
>>My sister's friend's TV exploded. The two ladies there were hurt and
>>taken to the hospital. The house burned to the ground. Does anyone here
>>know about exploding TV's and what we can do to prevent such an
>>accident? Thanks. Mary
>
>Were your friends injured by pieces of exploding tv, or by the fire?
>
>The possibilities? Maybe the set had taken a heavy bump at some time,

I've just been reminded of a number of fires some years back in some
tv sets. It appeared that a particular model had a flaw or was badly
designed, and the fire brigade recommended that [all] consumers always
switch their sets off at the wall socket, rather than leave them in a
hibernation state. The inconvenience of not being able to switch the
tv on using the remote control probably disinclines most consumers from
switching off at the wall. This would be about 15 years ago.

PaPaPeng

Dec 20, 2007, 9:24:02 AM12/20/07
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:10:53 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thats wrong. There are still a few components on that that can be
>replaced cheaply if they are what has failed, most obviously with the
>diodes that rectify the mains etc and they are often what has failed
>because they are the most highly electrically stressed components.

All modern electronic equipment from mainstream manufacturers have
very high reliability. Heard that famous line about them failing one
week after a five year warranty period?. Components like diodes are
sources from very few remaining global sized manufacturers and they
are all manufactured to the same specs - with MTBF (mean time between
failure) measured in years. There's no savings in buying from a less
reliable manufacturer. The returns and repairs will bankrupt any
business promptly. When equipment fails the vendor gives you a brand
new one and toss out the return. That's a lot cheaper than hiring
knowledgeable experienced service guys. The few service guys they
have are essentially board and module swappers. Out of five modules
swap out each one in succession until one works. No one does
diagnostics or component repairs anymore. Microminiaturization makes
that impossible anyway.

I fixed my own TV set because it cost me $800 new, a generic
replacement at $300 and I'm not going to lug that 20 year old hernia
box to the TV service shop that was going to charge $70 for just
looking. Had the thing just died I would have tossed it. But it had
an intermittent video problem that a slap on the cabinet side could
temporarily fix. That means the components were OK and it had a cold
solder or loose connection somewhere. I loved the challenge but it
still took me 5 tries to locate the cold solder. The service shop guy
would give up after 1/2 and hour and collect his $70. Any more effort
and he loses big. The TV now looks better than before, 5 years now
after that fix. Dang I take care of my toys and enjoy fixing them. I
have 50 year old stuff that still hum along like new.

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2007, 12:59:39 PM12/20/07
PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> In modern equipment (ie anything 20 years old or newer) the parts
>>> are so small and draw so little juice that even if a component does
>>> smoke (short circuit) the worst that happens is a charred spot
>>> smaller than a shirt button. Often you cannot even spot the part
>>> that failed. Ergo modern electronics are not repairable on account
>>> of very highly integrated parts (a whole function block in a single chip).
>>> The electrical interconnects are thinner than a human hair and the
>>> whole board is sealed under a thick polymer coating. The slightest
>>> electrical surge and some electrical trace will vaporize somewhere.
>>> There is no heat build-up to start any sparks or flames. A 32 inch
>>> CRT TV has only a single board. If that goes the only option is to
>>> replace the whole board.

>> Thats wrong. There are still a few components on that that can be

>> replaced cheaply if they are what has failed, most obviously with the
>> diodes that rectify the mains etc and they are often what has failed
>> because they are the most highly electrically stressed components.

> All modern electronic equipment from mainstream
> manufacturers have very high reliability.

Irrelevant to that claim you made about replacing the whole board,
that you carefully deleted from the quoting and I have restored.

> Heard that famous line about them failing one
> week after a five year warranty period?.

Pity its aways been a mindlessly silly lie. It
isnt even possible to design them to do that.

> Components like diodes are sources from very few remaining global
> sized manufacturers and they are all manufactured to the same
> specs - with MTBF (mean time between failure) measured in years.

Irrelevant to the fact that the ones that the diodes which rectify the
mains live in one of the most demanding environments, because
they are exposed to spikes on the mains, and thats why they do
still sometimes fail. Thats got nothing to do with MTBF either.

> There's no savings in buying from a less reliable manufacturer.

Irreveant to what is being discussed, whether when
they do fail, you dont have to replace the whole board.

> The returns and repairs will bankrupt any business promptly.
> When equipment fails the vendor gives you a brand new one
> and toss out the return. That's a lot cheaper than hiring
> knowledgeable experienced service guys. The few service
> guys they have are essentially board and module swappers.

Irrelevant to what can be done if it fails outside warranty and they
dont all have 5 year warrantys, particularly the low end stuff.

> Out of five modules swap out each one in succession until one
> works. No one does diagnostics or component repairs anymore.

Some still do that in their own time with stuff that is out of warranty.

> Microminiaturization makes that impossible anyway.

No it doesnt with the diodes that rectify the mains in the power supply.

> I fixed my own TV set because it cost me $800 new, a generic
> replacement at $300 and I'm not going to lug that 20 year old hernia
> box to the TV service shop that was going to charge $70 for just
> looking. Had the thing just died I would have tossed it. But it had
> an intermittent video problem that a slap on the cabinet side could
> temporarily fix. That means the components were OK and it had
> a cold solder or loose connection somewhere. I loved the
> challenge but it still took me 5 tries to locate the cold solder.

Just as true of a failed mains rectifying diode if you know what you are doing.

Your original that you carefully deleted from the
quoting and I have restored is just plain wrong.

> The service shop guy would give up after 1/2 and hour
> and collect his $70. Any more effort and he loses big.

Irrelevant to what someone else can do if they arent paying for anyone else's time.

> The TV now looks better than before, 5 years now after
> that fix. Dang I take care of my toys and enjoy fixing them.

So your original that you carefully deleted from the
quoting and I have restored is just plain wrong.

> I have 50 year old stuff that still hum along like new.

Me too, but completely irrelevant to what was being discussed,
your silly claim that only a board swap is possible now.

Dennis

Dec 20, 2007, 2:53:01 PM12/20/07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:11:54 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dennis wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:20:55 -0500, marya...@webtv.net (Mary
>> Mathews) wrote:
>>>
>>>My sister's friend's TV exploded. The two ladies there were hurt and
>>>taken to the hospital. The house burned to the ground. Does anyone here
>>>know about exploding TV's and what we can do to prevent such an
>>>accident? Thanks. Mary
>>
>> Was there a penguin atop the telly at the time?
>
>Bastard, I was going to say that.

Neener-neener. And I half expected that no one would get the
reference.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

PaPaPeng

Dec 20, 2007, 5:11:37 PM12/20/07
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 04:59:39 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Irrelevant to the fact that the ones that the diodes which rectify the
>mains live in one of the most demanding environments, because
>they are exposed to spikes on the mains, and thats why they do
>still sometimes fail. Thats got nothing to do with MTBF either.

Just wondered when you kick in your Rod Speed Rants mode. Doesn't
take much. You've got pretty remarkable equipment or incredibly bad
luck when any equipment you ever possessed blows only a diode that you
can locate and fix. Methinks its more like a neuron in your noggin
that blew each time. At your advanced age and all those diode class
neurons you blew along the way it is indeed a miracle that you are
still just two posts or so from being a raving lunatic.

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2007, 5:50:55 PM12/20/07
PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> All modern electronic equipment from mainstream
>>> manufacturers have very high reliability.

>> Irrelevant to that claim you made about replacing the whole board,
>> that you carefully deleted from the quoting and I have restored.

>>> Components like diodes are sources from very few remaining global

>>> sized manufacturers and they are all manufactured to the same
>>> specs - with MTBF (mean time between failure) measured in years.

>> Irrelevant to the fact that the ones that the diodes which rectify

>> the mains live in one of the most demanding environments, because
>> they are exposed to spikes on the mains, and thats why they do
>> still sometimes fail. Thats got nothing to do with MTBF either.

> Just wondered when you kick in your Rod Speed Rants mode.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

> Doesn't take much.

Yep, just some fool like you making a spectacular fool of
yourself with the sort of claim you made that you keep
carefully deleting from the quoting and I keep restoring.

And you clearly wouldnt know what a real rant was if it bit you on your lard arse.
My comment on your original was MUCH smaller than your original, stupid.

> You've got pretty remarkable equipment or incredibly bad luck when any
> equipment you ever possessed blows only a diode that you can locate and fix.

Never ever said anything even remotely resembling anything like that.

I JUST said that that is and EXAMPLE of where your original is just plain wrong.

<reams of your desperate attempts at puerile insults that any
2 year old could leave for dead flushed where they belong>

PaPaPeng

Dec 20, 2007, 6:21:47 PM12/20/07
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:50:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You've got pretty remarkable equipment or incredibly bad luck when any
>> equipment you ever possessed blows only a diode that you can locate and fix.
>
>Never ever said anything even remotely resembling anything like that.
>
>I JUST said that that is and EXAMPLE of where your original is just plain wrong.
>
><reams of your desperate attempts at puerile insults that any
>2 year old could leave for dead flushed where they belong>

You are such an authority. Do tell us what consumer equipment you
have actually fixed and describe the nature of the problem and the
fix. It need not even involve a blown diode. We can all use the
troubleshooting skills you have acquired. After all this is a frugal
newsgroup where we like to do things for ourselves.

By the way I am pretty flattered that you think so highly of two year
old Chinese tots - the ability to use a computer, language skills, the
Art of Insult, etc. No wonder we are leaving you outback Ozzies in
the dust, or rather digging the ground for iron ore. That's coolie
work. Now just don't go blow another diode class neuron. You ain't
got many left.

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2007, 6:57:51 PM12/20/07

>>> You've got pretty remarkable equipment or incredibly bad luck when any

>>> equipment you ever possessed blows only a diode that you can locate and fix.

>> Never ever said anything even remotely resembling anything like that.

>> I JUST said that that is and EXAMPLE of where your original is just plain wrong.

> You are such an authority.

You are such a pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.

> Do tell us what consumer equipment you have actually
> fixed and describe the nature of the problem and the fix.

Completely and utterly irrelevant to that stupid claim you made at the top

that you keep carefully deleting from the quoting and I keep restoring.

And just how many of you are there between those ears anyway ?

> It need not even involve a blown diode. We can all use the
> troubleshooting skills you have acquired. After all this is a
> frugal newsgroup where we like to do things for ourselves.

Most dont have the knowledge required to do that safely with quite a bit of consumer
equipment, and there are plenty of obvious sources of the info available online if you do.

<reams of your desperate attempts at puerile racist insults that

PaPaPeng

Dec 20, 2007, 9:37:06 PM12/20/07
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:57:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

><reams of your desperate attempts at puerile racist insults that
>any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where they belong>

Yoh Speedo. You have been stuck in this rut (aka rant) for as long as
you had been in this group. Fix that first then come back. Hint. It
doesn't require you to know what a diode is let alone identify one and
replace it. Even a coolie can fix it.

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2007, 9:48:09 PM12/20/07
PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote

PaPaPeng

Dec 21, 2007, 6:47:43 AM12/21/07

You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by saying "Uncle."

Rod Speed

Dec 21, 2007, 1:16:12 PM12/21/07
PaPaPeng <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote

<reams of your desperate attempts at puerile racist shit that