Surviving in New York on 99 cents

George Grapman

Mar 27, 2008, 12:36:12 AM3/27/08

Donna

Mar 27, 2008, 3:22:32 PM3/27/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in
news:%uFGj.2729$p24...@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/dining/26ninety.html?_r=1&ref=dining&
> oref=slogin

Interesting story. Our dollar stores are not that great around here and
often carry really inferior products. I'm thinking NYC has more to offer.

--
~Donna
http://www.frugalsewing.com

Seerialmom

Mar 27, 2008, 3:36:23 PM3/27/08
On Mar 27, 12:22 pm, Donna <do...@exitstageleftcroakerwoods.com>
wrote:
> George Grapman <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote innews:%uFGj.2729$p24...@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

> >http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/dining/26ninety.html?_r=1&ref=dining&
> > oref=slogin
>
> Interesting story. Our dollar stores are not that great around here and
> often carry really inferior products. I'm thinking NYC has more to offer.
>
> --
> ~Donnahttp://www.frugalsewing.com
> Reduce, reuse, recycle, re-create.

Reading through that article it doesn't seem that the person spent
"only 99¢" to feed the friends, they bought multiple items which were
99¢ each. But in defense of one of my favorite stores, 99¢ Only, a
person "could" make a nutritious meal for only 99¢ (there are some
items in the store listed as 3 for 99¢ or 2 for 99¢).

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mar 27, 2008, 4:05:06 PM3/27/08
Seerialmom wrote:
> On Mar 27, 12:22 pm, Donna <do...@exitstageleftcroakerwoods.com>
> wrote:
>> George Grapman <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote innews:%uFGj.2729$p24...@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/dining/26ninety.html?_r=1&ref=dining&
>>> oref=slogin
>> Interesting story. Our dollar stores are not that great around here and
>> often carry really inferior products. I'm thinking NYC has more to offer.

Around here one has to check the expiration dates closely (some stores
are better than others), and also know what stuff costs in the regular
stores. Some items are actually more expensive at the dollar stores!

Side note--check if your supermarket has a basket of marked-down items:
dented cans, etc. Some of these may be perfectly good but discontinued
(not expired, but just discontinued). We get various organic products
pretty cheaply this way. Also, post-holiday sales are good. I once got
a pound of cocoa for 75 cents because it was labeled "kosher for
Passover" and the store just automatically discounted all their Passover
stuff afterwards. (Hershey's cocoa, by comparison, goes for about $6 a
pound.)

Oh, and around here, sometime around the middle of Passover, my store
starts *giving away* five-pound packages of matzoh. No miniumum
purchase or anything, just "please take it off our hands--even the food
kitchens don't want it!" :-) (Eventually they will stop over-ordering
and this will go away....)

> Reading through that article it doesn't seem that the person spent

> "only 99ข" to feed the friends, they bought multiple items which were
> 99ข each. But in defense of one of my favorite stores, 99ข Only, a
> person "could" make a nutritious meal for only 99ข (there are some
> items in the store listed as 3 for 99ข or 2 for 99ข).

Also, if he bought four items for 99 cents each and fed four friends,
that would still count.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
All art at some time and in some manner becomes mass entertainment,

The Real Bev

Mar 29, 2008, 12:03:30 AM3/29/08
Donna wrote:

> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/dining/26ninety.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin>

> Interesting story. Our dollar stores are not that great around here and
> often carry really inferior products. I'm thinking NYC has more to offer.

The 99-Cents-Only stores in the Los Angeles (and other, I guess) area
carry a lot of foreign food (mostly China, but not exclusively), a
variety of name-brand sausage/hotdog products, fresh vegetables and
fruits, a lot of exotic sauces (the Philippine banana sauce was pretty
bland, but wotthehell) and a nice variety of brand-name toothpaste and
deodorant as well as a lot of imported bathroom needs and cleaning
supplies. Like Fry's, you could live in a 99-Cents-Only store :-)

http://www.99only.com/

I love those stores. The penny-a-minute long distance cards alone are
worth the price of admission.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Mar 29, 2008, 1:26:11 AM3/29/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

> Donna wrote
>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote

>>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/dining/26ninety.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin>

>> Interesting story. Our dollar stores are not that great around here and often carry really inferior products. I'm
>> thinking NYC has more to offer.

> The 99-Cents-Only stores in the Los Angeles (and other, I guess) area carry a lot of foreign food (mostly China, but
> not exclusively), a variety of name-brand sausage/hotdog products,

Trouble is that those are made from surplus cats and dogs and rats.

> fresh vegetables and fruits, a lot of exotic sauces (the Philippine banana sauce was pretty bland, but wotthehell) and
> a nice variety of brand-name toothpaste and deodorant as well as a lot of imported bathroom needs and cleaning
> supplies. Like Fry's, you could live in a 99-Cents-Only store :-)

> http://www.99only.com/

> I love those stores. The penny-a-minute long distance cards alone are worth the price of admission.

You're better off with voip.

William Souden

Mar 29, 2008, 1:35:05 AM3/29/08
Until your internet connection goes down. VOIP is fine for social
calls or for companies with offices in different countries that need to
call each other but I would not want my business to customer calls
dependent on that service.

William Souden

Mar 29, 2008, 1:36:58 AM3/29/08
Read the small print on those cards for things like:

59 cent connect charge.
Weekly maintenance fee.
6 minute rounding.
99 cent pay phone surcharge.

Rod Speed

Mar 29, 2008, 2:36:13 AM3/29/08
William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Donna wrote

>>> The 99-Cents-Only stores in the Los Angeles (and other, I guess)
>>> area carry a lot of foreign food (mostly China, but not
>>> exclusively), a variety of name-brand sausage/hotdog products,
>>
>> Trouble is that those are made from surplus cats and dogs and rats.
>>
>>> fresh vegetables and fruits, a lot of exotic sauces (the Philippine
>>> banana sauce was pretty bland, but wotthehell) and a nice variety
>>> of brand-name toothpaste and deodorant as well as a lot of imported
>>> bathroom needs and cleaning supplies. Like Fry's, you could live
>>> in a 99-Cents-Only store :-)
>>
>>> http://www.99only.com/
>>
>>> I love those stores. The penny-a-minute long distance cards alone
>>> are worth the price of admission.
>>
>> You're better off with voip.

> Until your internet connection goes down.

Then you just fall back to the PSTN, stupid.

> VOIP is fine for social calls or for companies with offices in different countries that need to call each other but I
> would not want my business to customer calls dependent on that service.

No surprise that you ended up a race track bum.

Rod Speed

Mar 29, 2008, 2:39:32 AM3/29/08

There arent likely to be too many businesses that rely on penny-a-minute long distance cards alone, cretin.

William Souden

Mar 29, 2008, 11:00:50 AM3/29/08
But some businesses do rely on VOIP and the inherent problems were
pointed out.Of course your idea of a business call involves talking to
your case worker.

William Souden
sales fool/racetrack bum

William Souden

Mar 29, 2008, 11:03:19 AM3/29/08
I can afford to lose more at the track in a month than the amount you
get for your welfare stipend. You should try it it is the only place I
enjoy being around clueless people. Unfortunately I would not see you as
the turf club has dress/conduct codes but enjoy the grandstand where
people like you bet their welfare checks.

Rod Speed

Mar 29, 2008, 4:00:54 PM3/29/08

None rely on penny-a-minute long distance cards alone, cretin.

> and the inherent problems were pointed out.

Nope, you fucked that up completely. Any properly implemented voip system falls back to the PSTN fuckwit.

cswans...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2008, 10:26:39 AM3/30/08
On Mar 29, 1:00 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
> > Rod Speed wrote:

And that requires paying the monthly per line fees for both local
and long distance service that VOIP is supposed to avoid.

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 2:38:34 PM3/30/08
cswans...@gmail.com wrote

But avoids the call charges except when the broadband is down.

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 2:57:37 PM3/30/08
Most plans give x number of minutes before you pay added charges.
Most business land lines have per minute charges even for a call across
the street. As earlier stated I would not want to depend on the voice
quality of VOIP for business calls.

William Souden
sales fool/race track bum

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 3:16:40 PM3/30/08

Irrelevant to the penny-a-minute long distance cards being discussed.

> Most business land lines have per minute charges even for a call across the street.

Which is why anyone with a clue uses untimed voip instead.

> As earlier stated I would not want to depend on the voice quality of VOIP for business calls.

Any properly implemented voip system falls back to the PSTN if you need reliability.

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 4:08:41 PM3/30/08

Repeat: connection quality can be very poor with VOIP. I would not
want to depend on it for business calls, something you never deal with.

>> As earlier stated I would not want to depend on the voice quality of VOIP for business calls.
>
> Any properly implemented voip system falls back to the PSTN if you need reliability.

Again, the latter incurs monthly charges per line whether you use it
or not.

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 4:19:23 PM3/30/08

Repeat: anyone with a clue can implement voip so that the connection
quality is indistinguishable from what you get with the PSTN.

> I would not want to depend on it for business calls,

Your terminal pig ignorance is your problem, fuckwit.

No surprise that you dont get to do a damned thing technology wise and ended up a race track bum.

>>> As earlier stated I would not want to depend on the voice quality of VOIP for business calls.

>> Any properly implemented voip system falls back to the PSTN if you need reliability.

> Again, the latter incurs monthly charges per line whether you use it or not.

But avoids the call charges except when the broadband is down.

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 4:35:29 PM3/30/08

Want me to repost your work history,welfare boy? As i said, we welcome
clueless people like you to the track but,remember, the turf club had
higher admission fees, along with dress and conduct codes.
Tell me. Mr. knows everything, why do you think I like seeing clueless
people at the track?
Why do you equate the track with bums? Bad personal experience? all
those numbers confuse you? Lost and though it was fixed?

>>> Any properly implemented voip system falls back to the PSTN if you need reliability.
>
>> Again, the latter incurs monthly charges per line whether you use it or not.
>
> But avoids the call charges except when the broadband is down.

But you still pay monthly charges per line so if you office
has 50 lines there is a substantial cost for a service that is rarely used.
You may not care about connection quality when calling your case
worker but those of us who use phone for something called work do care/

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 4:59:24 PM3/30/08

<reams of your mindless raving completely irrelevant to what is being
discussed, penny-a-minute long distance cards, flushed where it belongs>

>>> Again, the latter incurs monthly charges per line whether you use it or not.

>> But avoids the call charges except when the broadband is down.

> But you still pay monthly charges per line so if you office has 50 lines there is a substantial cost for a service
> that is rarely used.

Only a stupid race track bum would have that many lines for when the broadband is down.

Anyone with a clue would have more than one broadband so that doesnt all go down at once.

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 5:03:56 PM3/30/08

Yep. only a stupid race track bum would work in an office with 50
employees all of whom need phones. Don't the people in your welfare
office have individual lines?

> Anyone with a clue would have more than one broadband so that doesnt all go down at once.
>
> No surprise that you dont get to do a damned thing
> technology wise and ended up a race track bum.

So tell us, welfare boy, why do you equate the track with bums? Ever
been there? Know how it works? Lost and you think it is fixed? Are all
the well heeled people in the turf club bums?

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 5:04:28 PM3/30/08

Yep. only a stupid race track bum would work in an office with 50

employees all of whom need phones. Don't the people in your welfare
office have individual lines?

> Anyone with a clue would have more than one broadband so that doesnt all go down at once.
>
> No surprise that you dont get to do a damned thing
> technology wise and ended up a race track bum.

So tell us, welfare boy, why do you equate the track with bums? Ever

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 5:30:39 PM3/30/08

Only a stupid race track bum would have them using penny-a-minute long distance cards.

Anyone with a clue would have them all using voip on redundant
broadband so they dont lose all broadband at once.

>> Anyone with a clue would have more than one broadband so that doesnt all go down at once.

>> No surprise that you dont get to do a damned thing
>> technology wise and ended up a race track bum.

<reams of your mindless raving completely irrelevant to what is being

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 5:37:31 PM3/30/08

What part of bad call quality is bad for business was not
clear?Oh,right, you are a welfare leech.

>>> No surprise that you dont get to do a damned thing
>>> technology wise and ended up a race track bum.
>
> <reams of your mindless raving completely irrelevant to what is being
> discussed, penny-a-minute long distance cards, flushed where it belongs>

I never suggested phone cards,welfare boy.
Bet you can not explain why we like to see clueless people at the track.

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 5:42:01 PM3/30/08

Looks as if it is time to repost the pitiful work history of Rod
Speed.
He has had a total of one job as an adult.
A fast food place made the mistake of hiring him. He was moved from
the register because he could not handle public contact (customers
rarely enjoy being called fuckwits) and was moved to the fry grill.
He dropped a burger. The manager said "no problem, we all make
mistakes". Rod went into a tantrum and blamed the manager because, as we
know, he is never wrong.
He was then given the job of cleaning the rest rooms. He was fired
when , rather than scrub a toilet, he kept flushing it while yelling
"reams of puerile shit flushed down the toilet.
This all happened before lunch on the first day.
Rod has never had a another job. Keep in mind when one starts a new
job these things happen:
Your boss tells you what to do- Rod can never bear that.
You have questions-Rod never admits to not knowing everything.
You make a mistake-Rod can never admit to one.

Ever since then Rod has been on the dole. The check comes twice a
month and near the end of the cycle his posts make it obvious that the
meds have run out.
Each new case worker at the welfare office is assigned to Rod. They
keep hoping that a new person is hired to take over his case.

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 6:16:19 PM3/30/08

Only a stupid race track cretin would be stupid enough to have any
business exclusively using penny-a-minute long distance cards.

And only a stupid race track bum wouldnt be able to
implement voip so no one would be able to detect any
difference in call quality in a proper double blind trial.

>> <reams of your mindless raving completely irrelevant to what is being
>> discussed, penny-a-minute long distance cards, flushed where it belongs>

> I never suggested phone cards

You were stupid enough to make your original comment when it
was penny-a-minute long distance cards being discussed, fuckwit.

The Real Bev

Mar 30, 2008, 9:55:34 PM3/30/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Donna wrote
>>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote

>>> Interesting story. Our dollar stores are not that great around here and often carry really inferior products. I'm
>>> thinking NYC has more to offer.
>
>> The 99-Cents-Only stores in the Los Angeles (and other, I guess) area carry a lot of foreign food (mostly China, but
>> not exclusively), a variety of name-brand sausage/hotdog products,
>
> Trouble is that those are made from surplus cats and dogs and rats.

Still, pretty tasty! Remember, nobody got sick from eating hamburger
made from the local downer cows, even though they were covered in their
own shit when they were dismembered. I ate street tacos in Tijuana. I
cook every once in a while. People worry too much.

>> fresh vegetables and fruits, a lot of exotic sauces (the Philippine banana sauce was pretty bland, but wotthehell) and
>> a nice variety of brand-name toothpaste and deodorant as well as a lot of imported bathroom needs and cleaning
>> supplies. Like Fry's, you could live in a 99-Cents-Only store :-)
>
>> http://www.99only.com/
>
>> I love those stores. The penny-a-minute long distance cards alone are worth the price of admission.
>
> You're better off with voip.

Not really if I make perhaps 10 minutes of LD phone calls in a BIG year.
And VOIP doesn't work when you have a power outage. No worries,
though, I've still got an old-fashioned non-wallwart phone and could
call the electric company to come out and fix the problem.

--
Cheers, Bev
*Are you *sure* there's a hyphen in "anal-retentive?"*

The Real Bev

Mar 30, 2008, 10:01:53 PM3/30/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> cswans...@gmail.com wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>

>>> Nope, you fucked that up completely. Any properly
>>> implemented voip system falls back to the PSTN fuckwit.
>
>> And that requires paying the monthly per line fees for both
>> local and long distance service that VOIP is supposed to avoid.
>
> But avoids the call charges except when the broadband is down.

I see. Spend ~$25/month to save maybe a nickel a month in LD? Yep,
sounds good to me, sign me up.

What I'm bitter about is that my monthly local phone service costs
$10.69. The taxes and fees and surcharges bring it up to $17.88. If I
select measured (limited) service I can save maybe $3/month, which makes
no difference when you add in the additional charges for what would be
your normal phone usage.

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 10:33:19 PM3/30/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> cswans...@gmail.com wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote

>>> And that requires paying the monthly per line fees for both
>>> local and long distance service that VOIP is supposed to avoid.

>> But avoids the call charges except when the broadband is down.

> I see.

No you dont.

> Spend ~$25/month to save maybe a nickel a month in LD?

Nope, only if you need that level of reliability of your
phone services and dont get it included with your DSL.

And you save a lot more than a nickel a month in phone call charges too.

> Yep, sounds good to me, sign me up.

You dont qualify, you're too stupid.

> What I'm bitter about is that my monthly local phone service costs
> $10.69. The taxes and fees and surcharges bring it up to $17.88.

A good reason for having naked DSL and just yawning when the broadband does go down.

Mine doesnt go down every year now, and when it does, its usually not during
the time I even want to make phone calls, because everyone is asleep.

So voip at no hardware cost whatever makes a lot more sense than penny-a-minute long distance cards.

> If I select measured (limited) service I can save maybe $3/month, which makes no difference when you add in the
> additional charges for what would be your normal phone usage.

Another good reason for choosing to use voip alone for a residential user
who can use a cellphone if the broadband is down and you need to make
a phone call while its down and when you are out of the house etc.

I can make voip calls using my cellphone too, so even if the
broadband is down, I just yawn and use the cellphone instead.

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2008, 10:38:29 PM3/30/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Donna wrote

>>> The 99-Cents-Only stores in the Los Angeles (and other, I guess)
>>> area carry a lot of foreign food (mostly China, but not
>>> exclusively), a variety of name-brand sausage/hotdog products,

>> Trouble is that those are made from surplus cats and dogs and rats.

> Still, pretty tasty!

Dunno, the rats can be a tad gamey.

> Remember, nobody got sick from eating hamburger made from the local downer cows, even though they were covered in
> their own shit when they were dismembered.

Plenty have actually.

> I ate street tacos in Tijuana.

And then there's the wacky weed...

> I cook every once in a while.

Too radical.

> People worry too much.

After all, everyone dies.

>>> fresh vegetables and fruits, a lot of exotic sauces (the Philippine
>>> banana sauce was pretty bland, but wotthehell) and a nice variety
>>> of brand-name toothpaste and deodorant as well as a lot of imported
>>> bathroom needs and cleaning supplies. Like Fry's, you could live
>>> in a 99-Cents-Only store :-)

>>> http://www.99only.com/

>>> I love those stores. The penny-a-minute long distance cards alone are worth the price of admission.

>> You're better off with voip.

> Not really if I make perhaps 10 minutes of LD phone calls in a BIG year.

Yes, really even if you only make that many. And you also have to
consider how many calls you make if they only cost 8c in total etc.

> And VOIP doesn't work when you have a power outage.

Mine does, I can do it from the cellphone.

> No worries, though, I've still got an old-fashioned non-wallwart phone and could call the electric company to come out
> and fix the problem.

Anyone with a clue can call them on their cellphone.

The Real Bev

Mar 30, 2008, 10:42:45 PM3/30/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

>> What I'm bitter about is that my monthly local phone service costs

>> $10.69. The taxes and fees and surcharges bring it up to $17.88.
>
> A good reason for having naked DSL and just yawning when the
> broadband does go down.

Unless you're within 14,000 feet of <something> you can't get DSL, and
when you can it's still pitifully slow. BTW, you can't get naked DSL
here, you have to buy local phone service ($17.88 minimum) and then add
DSL on top of that. And we can't get REAL high-deductible medical
insurance either. Isn't political bribery wonderful?

> Mine doesnt go down every year now, and when it does, its usually not
> during the time I even want to make phone calls, because everyone is
> asleep.

We don't lose power that often, but having to re-set all the clocks is a
real pain.

> So voip at no hardware cost whatever makes a lot more sense than
> penny-a-minute long distance cards.

Hardware is cheap or free. Monthly charges are not.

>> If I select measured (limited) service I can save maybe $3/month,
>> which makes no difference when you add in the additional charges
>> for what would be your normal phone usage.
>
> Another good reason for choosing to use voip alone for a residential
> user who can use a cellphone if the broadband is down and you need to
> make a phone call while its down and when you are out of the house
> etc.

That's only for the profligate people who use hundreds of cell minutes a
month.

> I can make voip calls using my cellphone too, so even if the
> broadband is down, I just yawn and use the cellphone instead.

Profligate, just as I said.

William Souden

Mar 30, 2008, 10:56:27 PM3/30/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> cswans...@gmail.com wrote

>>> But avoids the call charges except when the broadband is down.
>
>> I see.
>
> No you dont.
>
>> Spend ~$25/month to save maybe a nickel a month in LD?
>
> Nope, only if you need that level of reliability of your
> phone services and dont get it included with your DSL.

But with a business you need that reliability.

> And you save a lot more than a nickel a month in phone call charges too.

What you do not comprehend is you pay a per line monthly fee for each
land line even if they are not used.You also do not understand that in
many businesses each person may need their own phone. Of course that was
not the case at your short lived fast food job.

>> Yep, sounds good to me, sign me up.
>
> You dont qualify, you're too stupid.

Another fact filled reply from the child with a work history of 4 hours.

>> What I'm bitter about is that my monthly local phone service costs
>> $10.69. The taxes and fees and surcharges bring it up to $17.88.
>
> A good reason for having naked DSL and just yawning when the broadband does go down.
>
> Mine doesnt go down every year now, and when it does, its usually not during
> the time I even want to make phone calls, because everyone is asleep.
>
> So voip at no hardware cost whatever makes a lot more sense than penny-a-minute long distance cards.
>
>> If I select measured (limited) service I can save maybe $3/month, which makes no difference when you add in the
>> additional charges for what would be your normal phone usage.
>
> Another good reason for choosing to use voip alone for a residential user
> who can use a cellphone if the broadband is down and you need to make
> a phone call while its down and when you are out of the house etc.

But we have been talking about businesses, an alien concept to you.

> I can make voip calls using my cellphone too, so even if the
> broadband is down, I just yawn and use the cellphone instead.

Who do you call beside your case worker?

Rod Speed

Mar 31, 2008, 12:19:18 AM3/31/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> What I'm bitter about is that my monthly local phone service costs
>>> $10.69. The taxes and fees and surcharges bring it up to $17.88.

>> A good reason for having naked DSL and just yawning when the broadband does go down.

> Unless you're within 14,000 feet of <something> you can't get DSL,

Wrong.

> and when you can it's still pitifully slow.

Wrong.

> BTW, you can't get naked DSL here, you have to buy local phone service ($17.88 minimum) and then add DSL on top of
> that.

You still benefit from not having to pay any call charges,
and its available to fall back to if the DSL goes down.

> And we can't get REAL high-deductible medical insurance either.

Because you lot were stupid enough to not force your politicians to allow that.

> Isn't political bribery wonderful?

Nothing wonderful about clowns like you lot that cant even
manage to elect those who will deliver what you want.

>> Mine doesnt go down every year now, and when it does, its usually not
>> during the time I even want to make phone calls, because everyone is asleep.

> We don't lose power that often, but having to re-set all the clocks is a real pain.

That was a comment on the broadband, not the power.

Anyone with a clue synchs the clocks using the net.

>> So voip at no hardware cost whatever makes a lot more sense than penny-a-minute long distance cards.

> Hardware is cheap or free. Monthly charges are not.

Anyone with a clue uses voip with no monthly charges.

>>> If I select measured (limited) service I can save maybe $3/month,
>>> which makes no difference when you add in the additional charges
>>> for what would be your normal phone usage.

>> Another good reason for choosing to use voip alone for a residential
>> user who can use a cellphone if the broadband is down and you need to
>> make a phone call while its down and when you are out of the house etc.

> That's only for the profligate people who use hundreds of cell minutes a month.

Wrong.

>> I can make voip calls using my cellphone too, so even if the
>> broadband is down, I just yawn and use the cellphone instead.

> Profligate, just as I said.

Wrong, just as I said.

Rod Speed

Mar 31, 2008, 12:25:15 AM3/31/08
William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> I see.

>> No you dont.

>>> Spend ~$25/month to save maybe a nickel a month in LD?

>> Nope, only if you need that level of reliability of your
>> phone services and dont get it included with your DSL.

> But with a business you need that reliability.

Even a stupid race track bum should have noticed that no viable
business uses penny-a-minute long distance cards alone.

And that its completely trivial for any business
with a clue to have redundand broadband too.

>> And you save a lot more than a nickel a month in phone call charges too.

> What you do not comprehend is you pay a per line monthly fee for each land line even if they are not used.

I said that myself, fuckwit.

> You also do not understand that in many businesses each person may need their own phone.

They all get that even when its done using voip, fuckwit.

>>> What I'm bitter about is that my monthly local phone service costs
>>> $10.69. The taxes and fees and surcharges bring it up to $17.88.

>> A good reason for having naked DSL and just yawning when the broadband does go down.

>> Mine doesnt go down every year now, and when it does, its usually not during the time I even want to make phone
>> calls, because everyone is asleep.

>> So voip at no hardware cost whatever makes a lot more sense than penny-a-minute long distance cards.

>>> If I select measured (limited) service I can save maybe $3/month,
>>> which makes no difference when you add in the additional charges
>>> for what would be your normal phone usage.

>> Another good reason for choosing to use voip alone for a residential user who can use a cellphone if the broadband is
>> down and you need to make
>> a phone call while its down and when you are out of the house etc.

> But we have been talking about businesses,

Nope, only some stupid race track bum has.

Everyone else has noticed that no viable business uses penny-a-minute long distance cards alone.

William Souden

Mar 31, 2008, 1:20:48 AM3/31/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> A good reason for having naked DSL and just yawning when the broadband does go down.
>
>> Unless you're within 14,000 feet of <something> you can't get DSL,
>
> Wrong.

What yo you think the maximum distance is?

>> and when you can it's still pitifully slow.
>
> Wrong.
>
>> BTW, you can't get naked DSL here, you have to buy local phone service ($17.88 minimum) and then add DSL on top of
>> that.
>
> You still benefit from not having to pay any call charges,
> and its available to fall back to if the DSL goes down.
>
>> And we can't get REAL high-deductible medical insurance either.
>
> Because you lot were stupid enough to not force your politicians to allow that.

Yep, we need a system that takes care of unemployable people like you.

William Souden

Mar 31, 2008, 1:23:10 AM3/31/08

And it elides your simpleton brain that having a land line even as a
back up incurs monthly per line fees but as we know your idea of
business is getting your welfare stipend.

Rod Speed

Mar 31, 2008, 1:40:38 AM3/31/08
William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Unless you're within 14,000 feet of <something> you can't get DSL,

>> Wrong.

> What yo you think the maximum distance is?

I know there is no maximum distance.

>>> and when you can it's still pitifully slow.

>> Wrong.

>>> BTW, you can't get naked DSL here, you have to buy local phone
>>> service ($17.88 minimum) and then add DSL on top of that.

>> You still benefit from not having to pay any call charges,
>> and its available to fall back to if the DSL goes down.

>>> And we can't get REAL high-deductible medical insurance either.

>> Because you lot were stupid enough to not force your politicians to allow that.

>>> Isn't political bribery wonderful?

William Souden

Mar 31, 2008, 10:25:20 AM3/31/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Wrong.
>
>> What yo you think the maximum distance is?
>
> I know there is no maximum distance.

This is where Rod screams "bullshit" or "irrelevant" or, showing
total defeat, gives us the paper bag or toilet bots.

http://www.dslreports.com/distance

http://www.tribcsp.com/faq-dsl.php

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/01/double.dsl.idg/index.html

http://www.broadbandweek.com/news/010108/010108_telecom_distance.htm

Rod Speed

Mar 31, 2008, 3:24:16 PM3/31/08
William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> What yo you think the maximum distance is?

>> I know there is no maximum distance.

> http://www.dslreports.com/distance

Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

And says just what I said.

> http://www.tribcsp.com/faq-dsl.php

Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

And doesnt conflict with what I said.

> http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/01/double.dsl.idg/index.html

Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

And in fact says precisely what I said, that there is no absolute maximum distance.

> http://www.broadbandweek.com/news/010108/010108_telecom_distance.htm

Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

And in fact says precisely what I said, that there is no absolute maximum distance.

No surprise that the best you can manage is race track bum.

William Souden

Mar 31, 2008, 3:43:00 PM3/31/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote

>>> I know there is no maximum distance.
>
>> http://www.dslreports.com/distance
>
> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.
>
> And says just what I said.

You said there is no maximum distance. The link says:

CLECs and ILECs work from distance estimates or actual checks before
accepting an order. Here is what we know of the distance limits they
work by. If you have more information specific to a provider, please
feel free to add it below, or if you can confirm more provider limits,
please talkback here: Distance remarks Read [17286]

>> http://www.tribcsp.com/faq-dsl.php
>
> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.
>
> And doesnt conflict with what I said.

You said there are no distance limits. The link says:

Distance is measured by the length of the cable that twists and turns
underground - not as the crow flies. The limitations are different for
the different types of DSL. The distance limit for ADSL is typically
18,000 feet or approximately 3 miles.

>> http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/01/double.dsl.idg/index.html
>
> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.
>
> And in fact says precisely what I said, that there is no absolute maximum distance.

Actually it says:

.

The repeater sits in the middle of a long line between HDSL2 modems and
regenerates the dying HDSL2 signal, which peters out as lines lengthen.
Without a repeater, customer sites must be within 12,000 feet of the
switching office. The repeater pushes that distance to 24,000 feet

>> http://www.broadbandweek.com/news/010108/010108_telecom_distance.htm
>
> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.
>
> And in fact says precisely what I said, that there is no absolute maximum distance.

Actually it says:

mpass about 80 percent of its customer base.

According to SBC spokesperson Shawn Dainas, outfitting the gateways with
DSL puts most customers within 12,000 feet of the neighborhood gateway,
giving SBC the ability to offer DSL speeds of 1.5 megabits per second
downstream and 6 Mbps upstream.

> No surprise that the best you can manage is race track bum.

No surprise that with your inability to comprehend what you read or
admit error you are a career welfare leech.

Rod Speed

Mar 31, 2008, 4:17:04 PM3/31/08
William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> http://www.dslreports.com/distance

>> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

>> And says just what I said.

> You said there is no maximum distance.

And there clearly isnt as every single one of your cites makes very clear indeed.

In spades with the last two.

> The link says:

> CLECs and ILECs work from distance estimates or actual checks before accepting an order. Here is what we know of the
> distance limits they work by. If you have more information specific to a provider, please feel free to add it below,
> or if you can confirm more provider limits, please talkback here: Distance remarks Read [17286]

Thats not saying there is a single maximum distance that applys to all DSL providers, cretin.

And it clearly shows a table where the distance varys with provider, fuckwit.

>>> http://www.tribcsp.com/faq-dsl.php

>> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

>> And doesnt conflict with what I said.

> You said there are no distance limits.

And there clearly isnt as every single one of your cites makes very clear indeed.

In spades with the last two.

> The link says:

> Distance is measured by the length of the cable that twists and turns underground - not as the crow flies. The
> limitations are different for the different types of DSL. The distance limit for ADSL is typically 18,000 feet or
> approximately 3 miles.

And the other cites clearly show that there is no absolute limit of 18,000 feet, fuckwit.

And the word TYPICALLY is there for a reason, fool.

>>> http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/01/double.dsl.idg/index.html

>> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

>> And in fact says precisely what I said, that there is no absolute maximum distance.

> Actually it says:

> The repeater sits in the middle of a long line between HDSL2 modems
> and regenerates the dying HDSL2 signal, which peters out as lines
> lengthen. Without a repeater, customer sites must be within 12,000 feet of the switching office. The repeater pushes
> that distance to 24,000 feet

So clearly there is no maximum distance when repeaters can be used, fuckwit.

>>> http://www.broadbandweek.com/news/010108/010108_telecom_distance.htm

>> Doesnt say anything like what Bev said.

>> And in fact says precisely what I said, that there is no absolute maximum distance.

> Actually it says:

> mpass about 80 percent of its customer base.

Pity about the other 20%, fuckwit.

> According to SBC spokesperson Shawn Dainas, outfitting the gateways
> with DSL puts most customers within 12,000 feet of the neighborhood
> gateway, giving SBC the ability to offer DSL speeds of 1.5 megabits
> per second downstream and 6 Mbps upstream.

Doesnt say a damned thing about any absolute distance limit, fuckwit.

>> No surprise that the best you can manage is race track bum.

> No surprise that with your inability to comprehend what you read

I comprehended all that shit you cited fine thanks, fuckwit. Unlike you.

> or admit error

Not a single error of mine to admit there, fuckwit.

Every single cite of your SUPPORTED what I said, that Bev's distance is just
plain wrong and that there is no single maximum distance for DSL, fuckwit.

William Souden

Mar 31, 2008, 4:31:32 PM3/31/08

Initial Rod Speed claim:There is no maximum distance, period.
Rod Speed after links are posted showing maximum distances:The links
support his claim.
Ros Speed after the text from those links showing maximum distances
are posted: No, I never said that, I said there was no single maximum
distance.

> No surprise that the best you can manage is race track bum.

No surprise that the best you can manage is being a welfare leech.
Come on, Rod, admit your failure with he paper bag and toilet bots.

Rod Speed

Mar 31, 2008, 5:38:29 PM3/31/08

>>> The link says:

>>> The link says:

>>> Actually it says:

>>> Actually it says:

>>> or admit error

And not one of your cites said that there is a single maximum distance for all DSL, fuckwit.

And not one of them is anything like Bev's stupid claim either.

> Rod Speed after links are posted showing maximum distances:

You never ever asked about maximum DISTANCES, you pathetic excuse for a lying bullshit artist.

> The links support his claim.

Which is precisely what they do, that there is no single maximum distance for all DSL, fuckwit.

> Ros Speed after the text from those links showing maximum distances are posted:

You never ever asked about maximum DISTANCES, you pathetic excuse for a lying bullshit artist.

> No, I never said that, I said there was no single maximum distance.

Which is clearly what I did say when thats what Bev claimed, fuckwit.

No surprise that the best you can manage is lying race track bum.