Where can I buy a cheap little wooden shed?

GeneCo...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2008, 6:13:39 PM4/6/08
I don't understand anything of building one myself from scratch. I
just can assemble it.

If you know links, please let me know.

Gene

Message has been deleted

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 8, 2008, 9:02:14 AM4/8/08
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:41:12 -0400, Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>In article
><a3278184-90a1-4381...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>Stop by local home center stores such as Home Depot to see what they
>offer.

I wouldn't call them cheap. The wooden ones they sell are durned
pricey. I checked them out, since I've got to put together a chicken
coop soon. Ain't no chickens of mine goina live in one of them
mansions.

Dennis

Apr 8, 2008, 5:38:58 PM4/8/08
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:02:14 -0600, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

>I wouldn't call them cheap. The wooden ones they sell are durned
>pricey. I checked them out, since I've got to put together a chicken
>coop soon. Ain't no chickens of mine goina live in one of them
>mansions.

When we first got chickens, I built an 8x12 walk-in coop for them (the
Palais de Poulet). I went to a local yard that sells
second/salvaged/surplus lumber and building items. I picked out a
load of 2x4 seconds and T-111 plywood "blows" for cheap and got to
work. Six years later, the coop is still standing and the chickens
don't seem to care about cosmetics. :-) So that's one way to go.

But these days, Mrs. (evil) prefers several "chicken tractors" to the
single large coop for her flocks. Google to get some ideas, but these
are small shelters with attached runs that are easy for a couple of
people to move. We (for example) put them over the garden plot in the
spring and fall and let the little clucks scratch and peck (and shit)
away. Good for the chicks and good for the garden. Keeping them in
smaller, separate groups seems to make them happier, too.

Just an idea.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

Gary Heston

Apr 8, 2008, 11:22:17 PM4/8/08
In article <30rmv3l668jlkbr8c...@4ax.com>,

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:41:12 -0400, Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net>
>wrote:

>>> I don't understand anything of building one myself from scratch. I
>>> just can assemble it.

The local Habitat for Humanity organization builds storage sheds as a
means of training volunteers in the basics of using tools and construction.

You might want to check with your local HfH to see if they're doing this,
and join in on a few shed building sessions.

>>> If you know links, please let me know.

>>Stop by local home center stores such as Home Depot to see what they
>>offer.

>I wouldn't call them cheap. The wooden ones they sell are durned
>pricey.

Yeah, they like them a whold lot.

> I checked them out, since I've got to put together a chicken
>coop soon. Ain't no chickens of mine goina live in one of them

Want some free shipping crates? As in 8' high x 8' long x 4' deep plywood
or OSB with 1x framing? There's a place here with bunches of them for free.

(Not that this will benefit most of you, but I think Mrs. Chickpea makes an
occasional trip to the local Botanical Garden, so it'd be convenient for
Harry to ride along and collect crate pieces. And, I can take them to lunch.)

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"The lurking figure of Charles Darwin was observed fleeing the

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 9, 2008, 6:16:10 PM4/9/08

Good idea, but we have a grey fox that I've seen slinking out back,
and some wandering dogs, and the sounds of coyotes some nights. For
now, a single pest-proof coop that is visible from the house will be
the priority. The garden is up and on the other side of the road.

Business is down and money being tight, I'm getting real tightwaddy.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 9, 2008, 6:30:45 PM4/9/08
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:22:17 -0500, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
wrote:

>In article <30rmv3l668jlkbr8c...@4ax.com>,
> <hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:41:12 -0400, Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>
>>>In article
>>><a3278184-90a1-4381...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>The local Habitat for Humanity organization builds storage sheds as a
>means of training volunteers in the basics of using tools and construction.
>
>You might want to check with your local HfH to see if they're doing this,
>and join in on a few shed building sessions.

With the price of gas and thin finances, we haven't been out much.
I've even been lax on hitting the blood drives.

>>>Stop by local home center stores such as Home Depot to see what they
>>>offer.
>
>>I wouldn't call them cheap. The wooden ones they sell are durned
>>pricey.
>
>Yeah, they like them a whold lot.
>
>> I checked them out, since I've got to put together a chicken
>>coop soon. Ain't no chickens of mine goina live in one of them
>
>Want some free shipping crates? As in 8' high x 8' long x 4' deep plywood
>or OSB with 1x framing? There's a place here with bunches of them for free.

If I dare take the cargo trailer into Huntsville, that could be a
possibility. It has been set aside for the most of the winter. I
just hooked it up to find a replacement for the lawn tractor, but
prices were high for relatively cheaply built Murray mowers. Ended up
getting a used motor for $100, and waiting for the right tractor
deal.* Now wish me luck on hooking it up.

I know what I would like, but can't afford, even used. A Kubota BX23.
Perfect for the digging I have left to do and setting corner posts for
the fences.

>(Not that this will benefit most of you, but I think Mrs. Chickpea makes an
>occasional trip to the local Botanical Garden, so it'd be convenient for
>Harry to ride along and collect crate pieces. And, I can take them to lunch.)

Mrs. Chickpea has been staying in the pod for the past few months as
well, now that her master gardener course is over and money is
tighter. I've had to hit Harbor Freight a couple of times, and we've
picked some stuff up at the Publix, but other than that both been
homebodies. With the garden needing to be started, and getting the
winter creaks out of the bones, we'll see.