softscrub copycat recipe

val189

Jan 2, 2007, 1:37:27 PM1/2/07
I mixed about 1/2 C baking soda with a few squirts of dish liquid, then
added white vingegar til achieving desired consistency. Mixed it with
an old wooden chopstick in a wide mouth plactic jar. Worked like a
charm on sinks and tubs. The price is sure right.

Now, if I could just duplicate that glasstop stove cleaner....

Seerialmom

Jan 2, 2007, 3:46:42 PM1/2/07

I don't see why you couldn't use the same formula; maybe a little less
dishsoap and baking soda, rinsing well afterwards.

New Leaf

Jan 2, 2007, 3:47:59 PM1/2/07

That's the amazing recipe everyone was using in the summer. It is
wonderful on acrylic.

Viv

Logan Shaw

Jan 2, 2007, 9:34:11 PM1/2/07

Let me know when you've got Scrubbing Bubbles duplicated.

That and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, a/k/a Sudafed (*not*
Sudafed PE, which is the lame, less-effective phenylephrine
"replacement" that the government sorta forced them into making).

I just paid $9.99 for a box of 20 time-release (12 hour) caplets
of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride because (as usual this time of year)
the store was out of store brand and I had to get name brand. It
really irks me to pay $0.50/pill for OTC medication that has been out
for basically as long as I can remember. Granted, the time-release
ones are sorta newish, but they're not *that* new. I've got the
cheap loratadine (Claritin) thing figured out, but not so with
pseudoephedrine hydrochloride.

- Logan

Dennis

Jan 3, 2007, 11:46:10 AM1/3/07
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 20:34:11 -0600, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>That and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, a/k/a Sudafed (*not*
>Sudafed PE, which is the lame, less-effective phenylephrine
>"replacement" that the government sorta forced them into making).
>
>I just paid $9.99 for a box of 20 time-release (12 hour) caplets
>of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride because (as usual this time of year)
>the store was out of store brand and I had to get name brand. It
>really irks me to pay $0.50/pill for OTC medication that has been out
>for basically as long as I can remember. Granted, the time-release
>ones are sorta newish, but they're not *that* new. I've got the
>cheap loratadine (Claritin) thing figured out, but not so with
>pseudoephedrine hydrochloride.

You should feel lucky -- at least you can buy it OTC. Here in Oregon,
the War On Some Drugs frenzy has resulted in it being made available
by prescription only. So add a $50 ($75?) office visit to the tab.

Dennis (evil)
--
What the government gives, it must first take.

Seerialmom

Jan 3, 2007, 2:13:09 PM1/3/07

You figured out how to make generic Claritin? :) As for the
pseudoephedrine I buy the 48 count box at Sam's club; of course I have
to make sure the "pharmacy" is open because I have to let them take my
name, rank and serial # as well as my first born child to buy it since
they need to track all the cold and allergy sufferers out there who
might sell their stash to some clandestine meth lab ;) BTW that
"reformulated" stuff doesn't work AT ALL..and apparently was never
intended for internal use; just for nasal passages.

Seerialmom

Jan 3, 2007, 2:15:03 PM1/3/07

Go up to Vancouver or down to Weed...I'm sure there's a Rite Aid there
that'll sell it to you :) And the cost of gas wouldn't be nearly as
much as a doctor visit :)

A Man

Jan 29, 2008, 3:49:08 PM1/29/08
In article <1167763047.2...@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
gweh...@bellsouth.net says...
Um, that's the formula for a science class volcano. Didn't the mixture
foam when you added vinegar? Or did you mean "baking powder" which does
not foam in the presence of an acid (vinegar)?

Seerialmom

Jan 29, 2008, 6:50:49 PM1/29/08
On Jan 29, 12:49 pm, A Man <u...@ftc.gov> wrote:
> In article <1167763047.207979.166...@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> gwehr...@bellsouth.net says...> I mixed about 1/2 C baking soda with a few squirts of dish liquid, then

> > added white vingegar til achieving desired consistency.  Mixed it with
> > an old wooden chopstick in a wide mouth plactic jar. Worked like a
> > charm on sinks and tubs.  The price is sure right.
>
> > Now, if I could just duplicate that glasstop stove cleaner....
>
> Um, that's the formula for a science class volcano. Didn't the mixture
> foam when you added vinegar? Or did you mean "baking powder" which does
> not foam in the presence of an acid (vinegar)?

Maybe the dish liquid changes the chemical reaction so it doesn't do
the volcano thing? I haven't tried it...just a thought. But you can
take half a lemon and salt or baking soda, dip the half of lemon in it
and use that as a "scrub".

val189

Jan 30, 2008, 8:15:23 PM1/30/08
On Jan 29, 3:49 pm, A Man <u...@ftc.gov> wrote:

> Um, that's the formula for a science class volcano. Didn't the mixture
> foam when you added vinegar?

Yes, but not exactly Vesuvius. Dribble the vinegar in gradually.

Or did you mean "baking powder" which does
> not foam in the presence of an acid (vinegar)?

No. Besides, baking soda is what gives it its slightly abrasive
quality.

I'm surprised you could resurrect this old post. I'm still using the
stuff - makes porcelain sinks gleam.