Driveway width

Jack Ricci

Sep 2, 2007, 5:06:16 PM9/2/07
All houses on the street are built on lots that are 60' wide, and all
have two car garages. All garages have driveways that lead into the
street and slope down to the street by becoming wider by two feet on
each side angling up toward the curb so as not to drop too suddenly on
the street. A neighbor has recently rebuilt his driveway, but instead of
a two-foot widening on each side has built a 3-foot slope on each side,
thus reducing on street parking to less cars in front of his house (we
live near a university, and a lot of students park on our street.)

My question: would it be permissible for others to do the same thing, if
they so wish, and is it legal? I looked up parking restrictions on our
city streets, but could find nothing to address this issue. Also, is it
legal to park in front of that slope as long as it doesn't obstruct the
two-car driveway? It is hard to explain the situation, but it is real.
It would be costly to redo the part that touches the street, but would
also at the same time be helpful. I do not want to antagonize the
neighbor who is difficult at best, and do not want to complain to the
city about something which might be perfectly legal.

Can someone advise me? Thank you.

street street street
___________ ____________
____curb___ __curb______| |
\ +1ft. +1ft |
\ \ / |
\ \ / |
\ driveway
\
\

Logan Shaw

Sep 2, 2007, 5:29:23 PM9/2/07
Jack Ricci wrote:
> AA neighbor has recently rebuilt his driveway, but instead of
> a two-foot widening on each side has built a 3-foot slope on each side,
> thus reducing on street parking to less cars in front of his house (we
> live near a university, and a lot of students park on our street.)
>
> My question: would it be permissible for others to do the same thing, if
> they so wish, and is it legal?

It's hard to imagine that the United Nations has organized a treaty
governing this issue and that it has been signed by every nation
on the planet. Therefore, whether it's legal probably depends on
where you live.

> I looked up parking restrictions on our
> city streets, but could find nothing to address this issue.

It might be part of the building codes rather than the parking
restrictions.

- Logan

Rick

Sep 2, 2007, 5:53:08 PM9/2/07

I don't think it really should be a concern of yours at all, since you
are asking for legal advice in a frugal consumer news group. And
"parking restrictions" have nothing to do with this matter. If you are
that far off base...

You need to call your zoning board to see if:

1.) It's legal to perform work on your property that encroaches on a
public street without pulling a permit.

2.) If zoning regulates the width of the private drive where it connects
to the public street.

But seriously, you are barking up the wrong news group.

Rick

Don K

Sep 2, 2007, 6:01:10 PM9/2/07
"Jack Ricci" <jrit...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> All houses on the street are built on lots that are 60' wide, and all
> have two car garages. All garages have driveways that lead into the
> street and slope down to the street by becoming wider by two feet on
> each side angling up toward the curb so as not to drop too suddenly on
> the street. A neighbor has recently rebuilt his driveway, but instead of
> a two-foot widening on each side has built a 3-foot slope on each side,
> thus reducing on street parking to less cars in front of his house (we
> live near a university, and a lot of students park on our street.)
>
> My question: would it be permissible for others to do the same thing, if
> they so wish, and is it legal? I looked up parking restrictions on our
> city streets, but could find nothing to address this issue. Also, is it
> legal to park in front of that slope as long as it doesn't obstruct the
> two-car driveway?

It seems to me that the owner can probably do whatever he likes as long
as it's within his 60 foot wide property lines and doesn't overlap into
the street right-of-way.

The street right-of-way probably includes the curb. If so, he wouldn't
be allowed to alter the curb.

Around here we have rounded-out guttercurbs that are maintained
by the county. There is no difference in the shape of guttercurb
whether it is adjacent to a sidewalk, driveway, or grassy area.

IMO, parking could overlap the driveway flareout, which is only
there for ease of turning, as long as driveway access wasn't blocked.

Don

Ward Abbott

Sep 2, 2007, 6:25:55 PM9/2/07
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:06:16 -0700, Jack Ricci <jrit...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Can someone advise me?

Yes...get your butt to the city/county building and ask them. We have
no power to enforce your local codes.

wyo...@newsguy.com

Sep 3, 2007, 12:01:29 AM9/3/07
wrote:

>All houses on the street are built on lots that are 60' wide, and all

it will be more frugal to resurface the driveway using the originally
constructed dimensions ( If it really needs resurfacing)

why do you need a wider driveway? Do you have a wasteful oversized
vehicle?

Shawn Hirn

Sep 3, 2007, 12:51:03 AM9/3/07
In article
<jritch53-7F0180...@news.phx.highwinds-media.com>,
Jack Ricci <jrit...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> All houses on the street are built on lots that are 60' wide, and all
> have two car garages. All garages have driveways that lead into the
> street and slope down to the street by becoming wider by two feet on
> each side angling up toward the curb so as not to drop too suddenly on
> the street. A neighbor has recently rebuilt his driveway, but instead of
> a two-foot widening on each side has built a 3-foot slope on each side,
> thus reducing on street parking to less cars in front of his house (we
> live near a university, and a lot of students park on our street.)
>
> My question: would it be permissible for others to do the same thing, if
> they so wish, and is it legal?

Impossible to say without knowing where in the world you live. This sort
of question depends on local zoning laws. Your county zoning office
would be able to give you an official answer.

Message has been deleted

Don

Sep 3, 2007, 12:04:33 PM9/3/07
"Jack Ricci"> wrote

Its none of your business.
Find something constructive to do with your time.
Seems like the US is turning into nothing but thugs and snitches.

spendwize.com

Sep 6, 2007, 11:01:48 PM9/6/07
Any driveway that's attaching to a road has to be approved by the entity
owning the road. It would be foolish at best for your neighbor to not have
this approved by the township, university or whoever owns the road. In
case of a township, I imagine such approval would be a public record. In
case of a university - I don't know but it may be useful for you to find
out. If he did not get this approved, you can get him to at least pay a
fine. Not sure what your intentions are though: do you also want to limit
parking in front of YOUR house?

Jack Ricci wrote:

Delivered via http://www.spendwize.com
Consumer News and Discussions Platform of the Net
misc.consumers.frugal-living - 1 messages and counting!