Home colleged to save 200k?

oprah....@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2007, 10:01:51 PM9/5/07
It now costs almost $200,000 to send a kid to a typical private
college. Supposedely tuition has outpaced inflation over the last 10
years due to several reasons.

I wonder if we will see more kids 'home-colleged'? Will any grad.
school accept such students? What are some frugal alternatives to
this 200k price tag?

Logan Shaw

Sep 5, 2007, 10:23:59 PM9/5/07
oprah....@gmail.com wrote:
> It now costs almost $200,000 to send a kid to a typical private
> college. Supposedely tuition has outpaced inflation over the last 10
> years due to several reasons.

I believe it.

> I wonder if we will see more kids 'home-colleged'? Will any grad.
> school accept such students?

Hopefully not, and probably not.

> What are some frugal alternatives to
> this 200k price tag?

A public college. There are some good values to be had at certain
state schools which nonetheless supply a very solid education. Also,
scholarships and grants.

Another alternative is to spend the first 1 or 2 years at a cheaper
school. You can take English and calculus at just about any decent
school. Then transfer to the other school later, and you still get
a diploma with their (hopefully prestigious) name on it. In some
cases, this could reduce the quality of the education you get, but
in some cases perhaps not. It probably depends on the individual
schools and the major.

Yet another strategy is to take basics like English at a cheap
community college during the summer. That's similar to the strategy
of spending your first couple of years elsewhere, but it allows you
to carefully pick and choose which classes you think are worth taking
at the "real" (expensive) school.

And one more strategy is to test out of as much as possible. Go to
a good high school and take AP or IB classes (or whatever they're
doing now), then study hard and take every equivalence test you
think you have odds of passing. This saves time *and* money.

- Logan

Duke of Hazard

Sep 5, 2007, 10:48:10 PM9/5/07
On Sep 5, 9:23 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Yet another strategy is to take basics like English at a cheap
> community college during the summer. That's similar to the strategy
> of spending your first couple of years elsewhere, but it allows you
> to carefully pick and choose which classes you think are worth taking
> at the "real" (expensive) school.

My friends did this recently , but almost none of their credits
transferred to their prestigious 4-year college ( ranked in top 10 )!

> And one more strategy is to test out of as much as possible. Go to
> a good high school and take AP or IB classes (or whatever they're
> doing now), then study hard and take every equivalence test you
> think you have odds of passing. This saves time *and* money.
>
> - Logan

Not sure if this is much value at a top school either. I dont think
they offer such tests and even if they did all it will let you do is
enroll in a more difficult class to begin with.

Logan Shaw

Sep 6, 2007, 12:29:10 AM9/6/07
Duke of Hazard wrote:
> On Sep 5, 9:23 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> Yet another strategy is to take basics like English at a cheap
>> community college during the summer. That's similar to the strategy
>> of spending your first couple of years elsewhere, but it allows you
>> to carefully pick and choose which classes you think are worth taking
>> at the "real" (expensive) school.
>
> My friends did this recently , but almost none of their credits
> transferred to their prestigious 4-year college ( ranked in top 10 )!

It does require planning. It's best to check the target school's
policy before registering for a class you plan to transfer somewhere
else, because if you don't you can waste time taking classes that
don't transfer at all or that transfer in as some sort of credit
you don't need to graduate.

>> And one more strategy is to test out of as much as possible. Go to
>> a good high school and take AP or IB classes (or whatever they're
>> doing now), then study hard and take every equivalence test you
>> think you have odds of passing. This saves time *and* money.

> Not sure if this is much value at a top school either. I dont think

> they offer such tests and even if they did all it will let you do is
> enroll in a more difficult class to begin with.

I'd be surprised if the majority of top schools didn't have some sort
of program where you can test out of a few things like English
composition or a foreign language by getting a sufficient score on
a College Board Advanced Placement test. They might require really
high scores, though.

I guess the moral of the story is make sure your plan is going to
work before you start doing stuff that might be a waste of time and
money.

- Logan

jo...@phred.org

Sep 6, 2007, 1:36:47 AM9/6/07
A relative intentionally failed to register for one of his high school
graduation requirements, "forcing" him to take a fifth year of high
school, a year he filled with free AP courses and electives he'd never
had time for.

Not graduating on time did cost him a National Merit Scholarship, but
saved more than that in wiaved courses thanks to the AP courses.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Logan Shaw

Sep 6, 2007, 5:04:13 AM9/6/07
jo...@phred.org wrote:
> A relative intentionally failed to register for one of his high school
> graduation requirements, "forcing" him to take a fifth year of high
> school, a year he filled with free AP courses and electives he'd never
> had time for.
>
> Not graduating on time did cost him a National Merit Scholarship, but
> saved more than that in wiaved courses thanks to the AP courses.

A guy from my high school had a similar story, but in reverse. Instead
of intentionally delaying his graduation, he took extra courses and
planned to meet all the requirements to graduate early. Then along
came H. Ross Perot, who spearheaded efforts to reform the Texas public
schools[1]. Along with the "no pass, no play" rule came a "no graduate
early, no matter if you've fulfilled 100% of the requirements" rule.
As I recall hearing, the new rules essentially left him with a senior
year during which he had no academic requirements at all. So he
registered for as many AP classes as possible, and I believe may have
even worked out a special deal to take a course or two at a local
college at the same time. Essentially he was unable to skip his
last year of high school as planned so instead he skipped his first
year of college.

- Logan

[1] This was actually a pretty high-profile thing when he was involved
in it, and it gained him a lot of notoriety and respect statewide.
It is probably one of the reasons he was able to garner as much
support as he did when he ran for President.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Sep 6, 2007, 11:57:39 AM9/6/07

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> jo...@phred.org wrote:

> planned to meet all the requirements to graduate early. Then along
> came H. Ross Perot, who spearheaded efforts to reform the Texas public
> schools[1]. Along with the "no pass, no play" rule came a "no graduate
> early, no matter if you've fulfilled 100% of the requirements" rule.

the reason for that is because schools get a per capita subsidy from
the federal govt. if you graduate early, you screw the district out
of that portion of the subsidy. this is also why districts are so strict
in how many days you can miss. they claim that it's for the sake of
the student, but if a student has mono and the dr says no school for 4
weeks, the student can do the work at home, but won't be passed to
the next grade. because they didn't show up for the head count, the
district will make sure to get that money and then some the next year.
this actually happened in a district we lived in; the kid was an a/b
student and fully capable of keeping up while at home.

Jessica V.

Sep 6, 2007, 12:20:18 PM9/6/07
On Sep 5, 10:23 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

Many colleges offer reduced cost courses to high school students who
have met the prerequisites for the courses offered and have at least a
B average in their high school classes. Both high school and college
credit is granted for successful completion. At the private college
where I once worked the tuition for HS students was $100 a course.

Bundle that with AP courses and Clep tests and it is possible to enter
college with the first two years already completed.

Summer course offerings from community colleges and state universities
can offer savings as well on core curriculum. I do not know how
frequently this occurs, but I have taken summer courses at the nearby
community college taught by well known professors from NYU, UNE, Brown
and Yale.

There are many ways to save both time and money on higher education.
Yet another consideration is if a degree from a private college is
really going to result in a better education and greater earning power
than the same degree from a state university.

JV

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Sep 6, 2007, 4:08:07 PM9/6/07
In article <TrVDi.6045$tY2.2350@trndny01>, der...@hotmail.com
says...

> "Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> > planned to meet all the requirements to graduate early. Then along

> > came H. Ross Perot, who spearheaded efforts to reform the Texas public
> > schools[1]. Along with the "no pass, no play" rule came a "no graduate
> > early, no matter if you've fulfilled 100% of the requirements" rule.

> the reason for that is because schools get a per capita subsidy from
> the federal govt. if you graduate early, you screw the district out
> of that portion of the subsidy. this is also why districts are so strict
> in how many days you can miss. they claim that it's for the sake of
> the student, but if a student has mono and the dr says no school for 4
> weeks, the student can do the work at home, but won't be passed to
> the next grade. because they didn't show up for the head count, the
> district will make sure to get that money and then some the next year.
> this actually happened in a district we lived in; the kid was an a/b
> student and fully capable of keeping up while at home.

I suspect that it goes further than just the head count. As I
understand it, US school districts - and the teachers therein -
are partly judged on performance. Specifically, the scores that
their students receive on yearly standardised tests.

The kids who are capable of graduating early (or just dropping
out to get a GED at, say, sixteen) are the ones who would do
well on those tests.

So, allowing them to graduate early, would result in a lower
average quality of students. And lower average test scores.
Which would make the school district and teachers look bad. They
don't care about the imposition on the higher-quality students.

Some states actually have (or at least used to have) a minimum
age of eighteen to take a GED test. To discourage kids leaving
high school before then. But the rule also applied to kids who
already weren't in school, and weren't going be. Including those
who were "home-schooled" and wanted the piece of paper so they
could get a job.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Beeblebrox

Sep 6, 2007, 7:18:16 PM9/6/07
Duke of Hazard wrote:
> On Sep 5, 9:23 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Yet another strategy is to take basics like English at a cheap
>>community college during the summer. That's similar to the strategy
>>of spending your first couple of years elsewhere, but it allows you
>>to carefully pick and choose which classes you think are worth taking
>>at the "real" (expensive) school.
>

> My friends did this recently , but almost none of their credits
> transferred to their prestigious 4-year college ( ranked in top 10 )!

you're supposed to check it out beforehand

Lou

Sep 6, 2007, 7:35:10 PM9/6/07

<oprah....@gmail.com> wrote in message

When some of these graduates can step out of school and into a job paying
100K, it might not be such a bad deal.

m...@privacy.net

Sep 7, 2007, 12:57:58 PM9/7/07
"Jessica V." <jeilee...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yet another consideration is if a degree from a private college is
>really going to result in a better education and greater earning power
>than the same degree from a state university.

Also it matters how old you are

Example..does a degree make any sense for someone 50?