sweat as a frugal substitute for shaving lather

Don K

Jul 12, 2007, 10:43:44 PM7/12/07
I don't normally shave with a razor, but the foil on my Norelco recently got damaged,
so I thought I'd use up the sample razors I have laying around.

I haven't bought shaving cream in about 40 years, and I'd hate to use up what's left
in that old 79-cent can of Colgate shaving cream I've been saving, so at first,
I tried shaving dry:

Ouch!... ooch!... Ouchy!
There has to be a better way than shaving dry!

Then I tried varying my morning routine.

With the hot weather, I work up a good sweat each morning walking the dog.
Rather than cooling down, showering, and then shaving, I tried shaving while
still hot, sweaty and slimy from walking Diesel.

It works! Hot slimy sweat is slippery enough to lubricate the skin and soften
the beard just about as well as shaving cream!

Don

Bob F

Jul 13, 2007, 12:35:18 PM7/13/07

"Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote in message

Any bar soap works fine.

Bob

Don K

Jul 13, 2007, 5:56:25 PM7/13/07
"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It works! Hot slimy sweat is slippery enough to lubricate the skin and soften
>> the beard just about as well as shaving cream!
>
> Any bar soap works fine.

Maybe, but you have to go out and buy soap. Sweat is free.

Don

Auntielle

Jul 15, 2007, 3:59:46 AM7/15/07
On Jul 13, 2:56 pm, "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:
> "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sweat may be free, but is also full of toxins. When you shave,
depending on the condition of the blade, you sometimes make
microscopic cuts in the skin. If your skin is sweaty, you are
introducing those toxins right into those microscopic cuts.
A swipe or two of bar soap does cost a few cents, but there is
something to be said for personal hygiene.
I suppose if I didn't brush my teeth until "fur" grew on them, the fur
would form a paste that I could brush my teeth with ... thereby saving
on toothpaste! (Sorry to be gross - trying to make a point). Sometimes
we can carry frugality a BIT too far!!!

Don K

Jul 15, 2007, 8:05:05 AM7/15/07
"Auntielle" <aunti...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 13, 2:56 pm, "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:
>> "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote in message

>> > Any bar soap works fine.
>>
>> Maybe, but you have to go out and buy soap. Sweat is free.
>>
> Sweat may be free, but is also full of toxins. When you shave,
> depending on the condition of the blade, you sometimes make
> microscopic cuts in the skin. If your skin is sweaty, you are
> introducing those toxins right into those microscopic cuts.
> A swipe or two of bar soap does cost a few cents, but there is
> something to be said for personal hygiene.

I do shower immediately afterwards, so personal hygiene is not
an issue.

Don

Roger Shoaf

Jul 15, 2007, 10:46:32 AM7/15/07
I don't know if my whiskers are softer than average or what, but my usual
routine is to remove the bulk of my beard in the shower by feel when I am
hot wet and soapy then when I get out of the shower, and my skin is still
damp I wet the razor and catch anything I missed in the shower.

The second shave is accomplished with a razor that is less than a week or
two old, and when it is time to replace it, I toss the one in the shower,
and cycle the one from the sink to the shower.

I seem to get the best life out of the Gillette disposables, the key is to
rinse them well and keep them dry.

I usually do not use aftershave, but on the occasions that I do, I prefer a
more subtle scent, so I dilute 1 part aftershave with 3 parts rubbing
alcohol and keep this in a small spray bottle.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote in message

Dennis

Jul 15, 2007, 4:30:48 PM7/15/07
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:46:32 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
<sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote:

>I don't know if my whiskers are softer than average or what, but my usual
>routine is to remove the bulk of my beard in the shower by feel when I am
>hot wet and soapy then when I get out of the shower, and my skin is still
>damp I wet the razor and catch anything I missed in the shower.

During periods when I shave my whole face (i.e., not bearded), I
usually shave in the shower. I use a special mirror that someone gave
me (probably purchased from The Sharper Image or something similar).
It attaches between the shower pipe and shower head and circulates
some of the hot water behind the mirror so it doesn't steam up. It
works great. I get nice close shaves with no muss nor fuss.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Jon v Leipzig

Jul 17, 2007, 5:58:26 AM7/17/07
Auntielle wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2:56 pm, "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:
>> "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote in message
>>> Any bar soap works fine.
>> Maybe, but you have to go out and buy soap. Sweat is free.
>>
>> Don
>
> Sweat may be free, but is also full of toxins. When you shave,
> depending on the condition of the blade, you sometimes make
> microscopic cuts in the skin. If your skin is sweaty, you are
> introducing those toxins right into those microscopic cuts.
> A swipe or two of bar soap does cost a few cents, but there is
> something to be said for personal hygiene.

Good point, thanx. I was about to suggest (to bypass working up a
sweat) using warm freshly-brewed urine.....