Best small freezer (5-7 cu ft)??

1 view

m...@privacy.net

Aug 8, 2007, 4:43:35 PM8/8/07
Any diff between the brands in this small size? Or
should one just shop for price alone?

Id prefer a very efficient one...even if small (5 cu
ft)...... but not sue any diff between brands in this
size range

Advice?

Rod Speed

Aug 8, 2007, 5:22:55 PM8/8/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Any diff between the brands in this small size?

Yes, particularly on how the shelves are done etc.

> Or should one just shop for price alone?

Nope.

> Id prefer a very efficient one...even if small (5 cu ft)......
> but not sue any diff between brands in this size range

There is on the shelf detail. Some have racks inside
the door and some dont, and some have slide out
bins and some just have fixed shelves.

> Advice?

m...@privacy.net

Aug 8, 2007, 7:15:01 PM8/8/07
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Any diff between the brands in this small size?
>
>Yes, particularly on how the shelves are done etc.

what brand and model would YOU buy in a 5-7 cubic foot
size Rod?

Given that efficiency and layout is priority

Rod Speed

Aug 8, 2007, 7:48:53 PM8/8/07
m...@privacy.net wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Any diff between the brands in this small size?

>> Yes, particularly on how the shelves are done etc.

> what brand and model would YOU buy in a 5-7 cubic foot size Rod?

I basically choose from what is available at the time I buy one,
and since they last so long, that varys with the purchase.

What I buy isnt necessarily the same as you either, mine
have to go under an existing cantilevered 20' long bench
which constrains the height of the freezer and I only ever
use verticals, I hate freezers with just a lid.

I also avoid the ones which have the shelves formed
from sheet metal because I have had one of those fail.
Not sure if you can even buy those now tho, its been
quite a while since I bought the last one.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 9, 2007, 11:06:34 AM8/9/07
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What I buy isnt necessarily the same as you either, mine
>have to go under an existing cantilevered 20' long bench
>which constrains the height of the freezer and I only ever
>use verticals, I hate freezers with just a lid.

But isn't an upright freezer working against mother
nature every time you pen it.... as cold air would
"fall" out of it rather than being "constrained" in a
chest freezer even if lid opened?

Peter Bruells

Aug 9, 2007, 11:18:34 AM8/9/07
m...@privacy.net writes:

Yes. However, if you are short space, this doesn't help you a lot.

Wayne Sallee

Aug 9, 2007, 2:02:28 PM8/9/07
m...@privacy.net wrote on 8/9/2007 11:06 AM:

> But isn't an upright freezer working against mother
> nature every time you pen it.... as cold air would
> "fall" out of it rather than being "constrained" in a
> chest freezer even if lid opened?

Yea it's the choice between efficiency of electrical
consumption, or efficiency of use.

Wayne Sallee
Webm...@LeesburgNazarene.org

Rod Speed

Aug 9, 2007, 3:36:53 PM8/9/07
m...@privacy.net wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

Yes, but since I keep my freezers full, just because of the
way I use them, its not a major effect and chest freezers
are a pain in the arse to get at the stuff down the bottom etc.

Rod Speed

Aug 9, 2007, 3:38:23 PM8/9/07
Wayne Sallee <Wa...@WayneSallee.com> wrote
> m...@privacy.net wrote

>> But isn't an upright freezer working against mother
>> nature every time you pen it.... as cold air would
>> "fall" out of it rather than being "constrained" in a
>> chest freezer even if lid opened?

> Yea it's the choice between efficiency of electrical consumption,

The difference is actually quite small, essentialy because
the thermal capacity of the air is trivial compared with the
thermal capacity of what is stored in the freezer.

> or efficiency of use.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 9, 2007, 4:33:11 PM8/9/07
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The difference is actually quite small, essentialy because
>the thermal capacity of the air is trivial compared with the
>thermal capacity of what is stored in the freezer.

so are you saying that as long as you keep an upright
freezer stoked with frozen foods (not empty air)....
that it may be as efficient as a chest freezer anyway
even given cold air falls of upright when opened?

Rod Speed

Aug 9, 2007, 4:44:57 PM8/9/07

Its more complicated than that. The reality is that even if you
dont keep it full, the energy required to cool the air that replaces
what falls out is very small, and you dont open freezers that
much anyway, just a couple of times a day at most.

I doubt you'd even be able to measure the difference in practice.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 9, 2007, 5:09:46 PM8/9/07
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Its more complicated than that. The reality is that even if you
>dont keep it full, the energy required to cool the air that replaces
>what falls out is very small, and you dont open freezers that
>much anyway, just a couple of times a day at most.
>
>I doubt you'd even be able to measure the difference in practice.

ok thanks for the perspective rod!

Wayne Sallee

Aug 9, 2007, 5:43:34 PM8/9/07

That's a good point. It does not take long to cool
the air inside the freezer.

Allen Weiner

Aug 10, 2007, 3:59:27 PM8/10/07
Rod Speed wrote:
> m...@privacy.net wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Yes, particularly on how the shelves are done etc.
>
>> what brand and model would YOU buy in a 5-7 cubic foot size Rod?
>
> I basically choose from what is available at the time I buy one,
> and since they last so long, that varys with the purchase.

<snip>

They don't necessarily last so long. A long time ago I bought a 5 cu
foot freezer from the now defunct Montgomery-Ward chain. Before buying,
I asked the salesman whether the freezer was manufactured in the USA. He

evaded the question. It turns out it was manufactured in Italy.

Five years later, the freezer motor started running 24/7 and my
electricity bill skyrocketed. Finally, the freezer motor burned out.

Rod Speed

Aug 10, 2007, 4:14:11 PM8/10/07
Allen Weiner <alwe...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> m...@privacy.net wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> what brand and model would YOU buy in a 5-7 cubic foot size Rod?

>> I basically choose from what is available at the time I buy one,
>> and since they last so long, that varys with the purchase.

> They don't necessarily last so long.

They do if you buy the right technology. I avoid the ones where the
shelves are made from sheet metal, I've had one of those lose the
gas and which was uneconomic to repair. I choose the ones where
the gas is in metal tubes, never had one of those fail in decades now.

> A long time ago I bought a 5 cu foot freezer from the now defunct Montgomery-Ward chain. Before
> buying, I asked the salesman whether the freezer was manufactured in the USA. He evaded the
> question. It turns out it was manufactured in Italy.

> Five years later, the freezer motor started running 24/7 and my
> electricity bill skyrocketed. Finally, the freezer motor burned out.

Likely the gas leaked out of that one too.