Walk Score™ for Your Address

SMS

Jun 7, 2008, 2:32:46 PM6/7/08
http://walkscore.com/

They take your address and they use Google Maps to index the businesses,
services, etc that are close enough to walk to.

It's got a lot of errors, but it's still interesting.

Some of the errors I found:

One of the "schools" it listed near me was the "AAA Driving School."

One of the libraries it listed is actually a State Farm insurance agency
owned by someone I know.

An AMC movie theater that opened about a year ago, about 1 mile away
from me, isn't listed.

Most of the distances over 2 miles are completely wrong. I.e. Google
maps shows one of the movie theaters listed as being 9.2 miles away,
while Walkscore shows it as 5.48 miles away.

Several of the businesses it lists are not in business any more or have
changed names.

One of "libraries" it showed was a library inside an HP building on an
HP campus.

Gary Heston

Jun 7, 2008, 2:52:29 PM6/7/08
In article <qrA2k.3935$ZE5...@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com>,

>They take your address and they use Google Maps to index the businesses,
>services, etc that are close enough to walk to.

[ ... ]

Or, you could just use MapQuest, which is likely to be far more complete
and accurate than something still having the bugs worked out, and no need
for third-party sites.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"a member or members of Osama bin Ladens' Al Qaeda network, posing as

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 7, 2008, 3:23:43 PM6/7/08
SMS wrote:
> http://walkscore.com/
>
> They take your address and they use Google Maps to index the businesses,
> services, etc that are close enough to walk to.
>
> It's got a lot of errors, but it's still interesting.

It's hysterical -- lists a lot of places that are right across the
freeway from where I live but that you have to go 2 miles to get to a
freeway underpass to go around the freeway. Lists a Sherwin-Williams
paint store as a hardware store. Lists tiny local grocers, but not all
of them, and doesn't list two major grocery stores less than a mile away.

In fact, all the distances appear to be "as the crow flies," not "as the
pedestrian walks."

And it lists Jamba Juice as a bar ROTFL.

Al Bundy

Jun 8, 2008, 4:48:02 PM6/8/08

Interesting, but too full of errors for practical use. Stuff across
the street is absent while stores closed a decade ago are shown as
active. A Google search on the zip code and address is more
comprehensive and one can do their own comparison without the little
house progress bar.