Rod Speed, what do you know about currency?

TwoAllBeefPatties

Jul 21, 2007, 11:25:28 AM7/21/07
Where would you invest, Rod Speed? Australia has had a run up in its
dollar. Our US dollar is sucking. Don't tell me commodities. That
stuff is already played out I bet. Maybe real estate in Australia? Who
is buying all these assets? Certainly not the average American, all
tapped out of cash.

William Souden

Jul 21, 2007, 11:31:20 AM7/21/07
Rod has nothing to invest. He is on welfare.

Just A User

Jul 21, 2007, 12:41:02 PM7/21/07

Well I consider myself an average American and I have investments and my
financial situation is better than it was 1, 2, 5, and even 10 years ago.

TwoAllBeefPatties

Jul 21, 2007, 1:21:32 PM7/21/07

Inflated dollars perhaps or just able to avoid making bad investments
or just a great salary obtainer or a mixture of all or some? You are
able to go into any kind of investment situation and come out good.
Your house or houses double in price too? Glad to know that you have
done well. Tell us how you did it without being tapped out of cash.

Dennis

Jul 21, 2007, 1:26:32 PM7/21/07

Gee, you don't suppose a record run-up in real estate and the Dow at
14000 could offer any clues, do ya?

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin

Rod Speed

Jul 21, 2007, 2:44:14 PM7/21/07
TwoAllBeefPatties <kwo...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Where would you invest, Rod Speed?

I dont generally 'invest' in currencys. The most I do is keep
substantial payments in an appropriate currency etc.

> Australia has had a run up in its dollar. Our US dollar is sucking.

Trouble is that changes are hard to predict, particularly relatively short term ones.

> Don't tell me commodities. That stuff is already played out I bet.

I doubt it. I cant see china ending up with a major problem any time soon.

It is where I have quite a bit of my assets, tho not in the commoditys
themselves, in operations like BHP Billiton and Rio and Oxiana etc.

> Maybe real estate in Australia?

The trouble with real estate is that is nothing like as flexible.
I do have a substantial part of my assets in real estate, but
its easier for me to do than someone outside the country.

> Who is buying all these assets?

Most those who have realised the advantage of buying over renting.

> Certainly not the average American, all tapped out of cash.

Yeah, we dont see a lot of americans buying real estate here.

Quite a few SE Asian chinese, mostly to provide them with a bolt
hole if the brown stuff does hit the fan back in their country of
origin as does happen periodically, most recently in Indonesia.

Hordes of them send their kids here for education with an eye to
being able to move here if things come unstuck back in their own
country again. We have one of the highest immigration rates in
the entire world, and in fact take more from SE Asia than we do
from europe and new zealand combined now, and thats very visible
in the 5 biggest capital citys.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Jul 21, 2007, 6:46:05 PM7/21/07
jdoe <jd...@aol.com> wrote

> Just A User <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote
>> TwoAllBeefPatties wrote

> while the numbers might look to be larger their value hasn't changed
> much, it just takes more money to get less product

Wrong if he would otherwise have pissed that money against the wall instead.

Steve

Jul 22, 2007, 12:15:15 AM7/22/07
What a silly question, there's absolutely no topic on which Rod is not
an expert.

--

When they discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.

...Bernard Bailey

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Jul 23, 2007, 1:01:36 AM7/23/07
Jimington <wvzu...@gfa.pp> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> TwoAllBeefPatties <kwo...@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> Where would you invest, Rod Speed?

>> I dont generally 'invest' in currencys. The most I do is keep
>> substantial payments in an appropriate currency etc.

>>> Australia has had a run up in its dollar. Our US dollar is sucking.

>> Trouble is that changes are hard to predict, particularly relatively short term ones.

>>> Don't tell me commodities. That stuff is already played out I bet.

>> I doubt it. I cant see china ending up with a major problem any time soon.

>> It is where I have quite a bit of my assets, tho not in the commoditys
>> themselves, in operations like BHP Billiton and Rio and Oxiana etc.

>>> Maybe real estate in Australia?

>> The trouble with real estate is that is nothing like as flexible.
>> I do have a substantial part of my assets in real estate, but
>> its easier for me to do than someone outside the country.

> I'm not sure if it'd be too easy to find many
> good places to invest in Australia right now.

Dunno, things do look that way at times, but with 20/20 hindsight,
they turn out to have been a lot better than they looked at the time.

> The recent boom in prices has swamped what may have been a
> good investment a few years ago and the places that still appear
> cheap are likely to dwindle to or remain as ghost towns.

Dunno, I cant see the coast dwindling ever, or remaining as ghost towns either.

>>> Who is buying all these assets?

>> Most those who have realised the advantage of buying over renting.

> Renting can still be a smart option for some.

Not very many now. The main problem is that getting started owning
isnt that easy to do, but I bet it ends up still being worth doing if feasible.

>>> Certainly not the average American, all tapped out of cash.

>> Yeah, we dont see a lot of americans buying real estate here.

>> Quite a few SE Asian chinese, mostly to provide them with a bolt
>> hole if the brown stuff does hit the fan back in their country of
>> origin as does happen periodically, most recently in Indonesia.

>> Hordes of them send their kids here for education with an eye to
>> being able to move here if things come unstuck back in their own
>> country again. We have one of the highest immigration rates in
>> the entire world, and in fact take more from SE Asia than we do
>> from europe and new zealand combined now, and thats very visible
>> in the 5 biggest capital citys.

> There has to be some good reasons for people to live in the big cities.

Specially those coming from high density asian citys.

> I have nothing but good memories of computer shops and hot bread
> shops run by asians, i wish some of them would move a bit north.

Yeah, we dont see so many interested in outside the capital citys as we used to.

Corse their possibililitys are much better than they used to be now too.

BeaF...@msn.com

Jul 23, 2007, 2:58:41 PM7/23/07

You are so right! This Speed person is amazing. A person with limited
education and insught can blow away the most informed, thought out
opinions with a simple "you don't know what you're talking about"
retort. It is like a blind man being critical of Picasso or a deaf
person pointing out the shortcomings of Beethoven, except in
'Speedland' he is always right.

What I especially like about The Speedster is how a person can post a
three hundred word arguement with links and footnotes and then Rod can
unravel the entire arguement with a simple, "Nope you're wrong."

There should be an entire alt.Rod Speed where questions to life's
questions can all be answered. I would like to see an entire
Speedernet, but alas he is only one person. Maybe we could fund a
Speed University. A Rod Speed think tank? How about a Speedpedia? A
branch of science; Speedology? Better yet a whole religion, we could
call it Speedatarian.