Cork hard to come by on wine bottles?

Boothbay

Oct 29, 2008, 6:35:38 PM10/29/08
What's with the wine industry...replacing cork tops with metal caps
and white ( ? )..I don't even know what the last one is made of. The
last one is so difficult to open and forget about putting it back onto
the bottle...its almost impossible. I even had to use a sharp razor to
try and taper one end so it could be inserted and it was hard to
carve. Finally, after thinking I succeeded, a few minutes later I
heard a 'pop' and sure enough the pressure in the bottle, popped the
stopper. Why can't they leave it as it was with the cork stopper? Its
even harder to see when purchased if it has such a stopper, cause its
covered with wax paper, that u can only take off after buying it.

Boothbay

Oct 29, 2008, 6:36:00 PM10/29/08

Rod Speed

Oct 29, 2008, 7:08:26 PM10/29/08
Boothbay <harri...@aol.com> wrote:

> What's with the wine industry...replacing cork tops with metal caps
> and white ( ? )..I don't even know what the last one is made of.

Plastic.

They do that because cork is much more variable.

> The last one is so difficult to open and forget about putting it back
> onto the bottle...its almost impossible. I even had to use a sharp
> razor to try and taper one end so it could be inserted and it was
> hard to carve. Finally, after thinking I succeeded, a few minutes later
> I heard a 'pop' and sure enough the pressure in the bottle, popped
> the stopper. Why can't they leave it as it was with the cork stopper?
> Its even harder to see when purchased if it has such a stopper, cause
> its covered with wax paper, that u can only take off after buying it.

The world's moved on, just like it always does.

Dennis

Oct 29, 2008, 7:47:12 PM10/29/08

Why not just save a cork next time you find one and use it to reseal
the next bottle with a plastic stopper?

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

Bob F

Oct 29, 2008, 8:05:01 PM10/29/08

"Boothbay" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message

http://www.baycrossings.com/archives/2003/08_September/cork_no_more.htm

curly'q

Oct 30, 2008, 7:05:12 AM10/30/08

That's what you get for not drinking the whole bottle :-)

One of the little secrets of the snobbish wine industry is that a screw
cap protects the unopened and opened wine better then natural or
synthetic cork

Good luck trying to market a $20.00 bottle of wine with a screw cap.

LA

Boothbay

Oct 31, 2008, 10:16:43 AM10/31/08
On Oct 29, 7:47 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:35:38 -0700 (PDT), Boothbay

That's fine, but how can one tell these days...corks,screws are
covered with plastic wrappings...also, while I wait for that eventful
day of getting a cork, the wine would take the vinegar route I was
told. Right now, I got it covered with aluminum.

Dennis (evil)

E Z Peaces

Oct 31, 2008, 12:43:39 PM10/31/08

My favorite brands have never used plastic stoppers.

The E & J Gallo Winery produces Night Train Express and Thunderbird (The
American Classic).

Mogen David produces MD 20/20 (If you drink it you won't need glasses.)

The Centerra Wine Company produces Cisco and Richards Wild Irish Rose.

Dennis

Oct 31, 2008, 1:56:56 PM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:16:43 -0700 (PDT), Boothbay
<harri...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Oct 29, 7:47 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:35:38 -0700 (PDT), Boothbay
>>
>> <harri85...@aol.com> wrote:
>> >What's with the wine industry...replacing cork tops with metal caps
>> >and white ( ? )..I don't even know what the last one is made of. The
>> >last one is so difficult to open and forget about putting it back onto
>> >the bottle...its almost impossible. I even had to use a sharp razor to
>> >try and taper one end so it could be inserted and it was hard to
>> >carve. Finally, after thinking I succeeded, a few minutes later I
>> >heard a 'pop' and sure enough the pressure in the bottle, popped the
>> >stopper. Why can't they leave it as it was with the cork stopper? Its
>> >even harder to see when purchased if it has such a stopper, cause its
>> >covered with wax paper, that u can only take off after buying it.
>>
>> Why not just save a cork next time you find one and use it to reseal
>> the next bottle with a plastic stopper?

>That's fine, but how can one tell these days...corks,screws are

>covered with plastic wrappings...also, while I wait for that eventful
>day of getting a cork, the wine would take the vinegar route I was
>told. Right now, I got it covered with aluminum.

Ask a wine-drinking friend, a restaurant or a wine shop for a spare
cork. Or just go to your local homebrew/wine making shop and buy a
handful of new real corks for a dollar or two.

Jeez, you're making this way more complicated than it is. Maybe you
just needed to whine.

Dennis (evil)

The Real Bev

Oct 31, 2008, 9:01:34 PM10/31/08
Dennis wrote:

> Ask a wine-drinking friend, a restaurant or a wine shop for a spare
> cork. Or just go to your local homebrew/wine making shop and buy a
> handful of new real corks for a dollar or two.
>
> Jeez, you're making this way more complicated than it is. Maybe you
> just needed to whine.

I remember reading somewhere that it was recently discovered that
aluminum caps work better than corks -- even for expensive wine. Is
this Alcoa propaganda?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Nov 1, 2008, 12:29:55 AM11/1/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Dennis wrote

>> Ask a wine-drinking friend, a restaurant or a wine shop for a spare cork. Or just go to your local homebrew/wine
>> making shop and buy a handful of new real corks for a dollar or two.

>> Jeez, you're making this way more complicated than it is. Maybe you just needed to whine.

> I remember reading somewhere that it was recently discovered that
> aluminum caps work better than corks -- even for expensive wine. Is
> this Alcoa propaganda?

Nope, its true. The only problem is that stupid wine snobs demand corks and get it when its expensive wine.

webs...@cox.net

Nov 1, 2008, 12:43:45 AM11/1/08
On Oct 31, 10:56 am, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Jeez, you're making this way more complicated than it is.  Maybe you
> just needed to whine.

I think so as well
We bought a kit with a couple rubber stopper type things, which work
just fine.
If we want to bother, we can also pump the air out of the bottle to
protect the wine if we want to save it that long.
It usually isn't necessary <g>

Dennis

Nov 1, 2008, 12:01:58 PM11/1/08

I bought one of those stoppers with the pump to remove the air from
the bottle. I didn't notice much difference. Maybe I'm overly
sensitive, but I taste a noticable change in wine after a day or so
from the initial opening, no matter how I reseal the bottle.

The last time I made a batch of wine, I put about half of it in 375 ml
bottles. That seems like a convenient size for a couple glasses with
dinner and no leftovers.

Too bad you can't find the better wines in boxes. The air-tight
collapsible bag inside and the tap seem to keep the wine fresh for
quite a while.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

webs...@cox.net

Nov 1, 2008, 12:58:12 PM11/1/08
On Nov 1, 9:01 am, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

We use the box wine for general table wine.
My only gripe is that the bag is not recyclable, as are the bottles.
I recycle the box, but I'm not sure they like that because of the
coating.

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Nov 2, 2008, 12:54:07 AM11/2/08
webs...@cox.net wrote:

>On Nov 1, 9:01 am, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >I think so as well
>> >We bought a kit with a couple rubber stopper type things, which work
>> >just fine.
>> >If we want to bother, we can also pump the air out of the bottle to
>> >protect the wine if we want to save it that long.
>> >It usually isn't necessary <g>
>>
>> I bought one of those stoppers with the pump to remove the air from
>> the bottle.  I didn't notice much difference.  Maybe I'm overly
>> sensitive, but I taste a noticable change in wine after a day or so
>> from the initial opening, no matter how I reseal the bottle.
>>
>> The last time I made a batch of wine, I put about half of it in 375 ml
>> bottles.  That seems like a convenient size for a couple glasses with
>> dinner and no leftovers.
>>
>> Too bad you can't find the better wines in boxes.  The air-tight
>> collapsible bag inside and the tap seem to keep the wine fresh for
>> quite a while.

For once Rod Speed might be useful! My memory may be faulty but IIRC
back around the early seventies the Australians used to put lots of
wine in the collapsible bag type boxes including some reasonably
expensive (and I suppose good) vineyards and years. IIRC the boxes
held not 4 or 5 liters but 1.5 or 2. This was way before the US woke
up to this form of delivery. All that was available here was plonk in
glass jugs. If you called them "flagons" as I made the mistake of
doing you got this uncomprehending look somewhat like you got when you
called a store selling fruit and vegetables "a greengrocer" as you
would in the UK and the rest of the English speaking world.

As to current developments, Hogue, who make upscale wines (primarily
riesling and gewurtztraminer; their late-vintage Johanisberg riesling
and their chenin blanc are outstanding IMO) sell their wine in bottles
with screw tops and a plastic washer. They have a little card attached
to the bottles explaining that their research shows that the screw top
and plastic washer are far better than anything else including corks
both in preventing product deterioration prior to opening and in
preserving the opened bottle.

Bob F

Nov 2, 2008, 7:02:49 AM11/2/08

<NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov> wrote in message

> For once Rod Speed might be useful! My memory may be faulty but IIRC
> back around the early seventies the Australians used to put lots of
> wine in the collapsible bag type boxes including some reasonably
> expensive (and I suppose good) vineyards and years. IIRC the boxes
> held not 4 or 5 liters but 1.5 or 2. This was way before the US woke
> up to this form of delivery.

Overheard:

"How can you tell a good wine from a bad wine"

"From the shape of the box"

webs...@cox.net

Nov 2, 2008, 8:32:16 PM11/2/08
On Nov 1, 9:01 am, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

There are some times where the screw caps are always better:
In a canoe on a calm river, with a sweetie in the bow...
On a hillside in the cool of the evening, with a picnic basket and a
blanket to watch the stars come out...
An impromptu campground in the wide open desert...
You get the idea.
All is well, until he says, "Where the bloody heck is the
corkscrew!!??"

I've had to dig out a cork with a nail clippers. Kinda slows down the
moment, eh?

Rod Speed

Nov 2, 2008, 10:44:34 PM11/2/08
webs...@cox.net wrote:
> On Nov 1, 9:01 am, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think so as well
>>> We bought a kit with a couple rubber stopper type things, which work
>>> just fine.
>>> If we want to bother, we can also pump the air out of the bottle to
>>> protect the wine if we want to save it that long.
>>> It usually isn't necessary <g>
>>
>> I bought one of those stoppers with the pump to remove the air from
>> the bottle. I didn't notice much difference. Maybe I'm overly
>> sensitive, but I taste a noticable change in wine after a day or so
>> from the initial opening, no matter how I reseal the bottle.
>>
>> The last time I made a batch of wine, I put about half of it in 375
>> ml bottles. That seems like a convenient size for a couple glasses
>> with dinner and no leftovers.
>>
>> Too bad you can't find the better wines in boxes. The air-tight
>> collapsible bag inside and the tap seem to keep the wine fresh for
>> quite a while.

> There are some times where the screw caps are always better:

All the time screw caps are better.

Gary Heston

Nov 3, 2008, 7:29:00 PM11/3/08
In article <834192f1-4fc2-4ef7...@i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
<webs...@cox.net> wrote:
[ ... ]

>There are some times where the screw caps are always better:
>In a canoe on a calm river, with a sweetie in the bow...
>On a hillside in the cool of the evening, with a picnic basket and a
>blanket to watch the stars come out...
>An impromptu campground in the wide open desert...
>You get the idea.
>All is well, until he says, "Where the bloody heck is the
>corkscrew!!??"

>I've had to dig out a cork with a nail clippers. Kinda slows down the
>moment, eh?

Use a stick/screwdriver or similar item and a rock to drive the cork
into the bottle. Much faster, then you have to finish the bottle...

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Why is it that these days, the words "What idiot" are so frequently
followed by the words "at Microsoft"?