Bean Paste and eternity.

john d hamilton

Nov 8, 2008, 8:44:34 AM11/8/08
we have a jar of 'woh hup' *black bean paste* (mild).

Here in London u.k., we invariably have information on the jar's label about
when the contents must be *consumed by*, once opened. That's as well as the
usual *best before* date stamped on the lid, (that's for before its opened).

This bean paste is imported from Singapore and does not have any 'consume
by' information on the label. It only says refrigerate after opening. The
contents are listed as: black beans, vegetable oil, salt, chili, yeast
extract, and sugar, sesame oil, and natural spices.

My son takes this to mean there is no 'consume by' date applicable and it's
still in the fridge for many months 'after' being opened. Do you think
this is safe to use? I know some things last forever, i.e. fermented Soya
bean paste (miso) and pickled salt plums and the proprietor of our local
Indian shops says his jars of pickles would last forever and is annoyed food
regulations force him to put a 'best before' date on his pickles.

Maybe the 'original market' Chinese would automatically know if it should be
used more or less straight-away, but here in London we don't have a clue,
and feel uneasy with my son's optimism about this paste. Grateful for
advice on how long we can safely keep it please.

Message has been deleted

john d hamilton

Nov 8, 2008, 9:42:04 AM11/8/08

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

> john d hamilton <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> This bean paste is imported from Singapore and does not have any 'consume
>> by' information on the label. It only says refrigerate after opening. The
>> contents are listed as: black beans, vegetable oil, salt, chili, yeast
>> extract, and sugar, sesame oil, and natural spices.
>
> Bean pastes last up to 12 months in the fridge. Often longer. Mine
> last 6 months before they're used up and they've been fine in that
> period. I suspect they could go for at least twice that long.
> -sw

many thanks. I'm surprised it lasts that long because if i cook beans they
seem to go 'off' pretty quickly soon after even in the fridge. Would it be
the salt and chili that preserves the beans in this case, i wonder?

Victor Sack

Nov 8, 2008, 12:05:23 PM11/8/08
john d hamilton <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> we have a jar of 'woh hup' *black bean paste* (mild).
>
> Here in London u.k., we invariably have information on the jar's label about
> when the contents must be *consumed by*, once opened. That's as well as the
> usual *best before* date stamped on the lid, (that's for before its opened).
>
> This bean paste is imported from Singapore and does not have any 'consume
> by' information on the label. It only says refrigerate after opening.

Maybe ask the manufacturers at
<http://www.wohhupfood.com/contactus.html>?

Victor

Dave Bell

Nov 8, 2008, 12:05:48 PM11/8/08

Exactly! I've had some that I'm certain was years old, and couldn't
tell it from "fresh" (whatever that is!)

Dave

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Arri London

Nov 9, 2008, 11:05:28 AM11/9/08

Bean pastes keep forever in the fridge. They are fermented and salted
for the most part. If there is concern, dole it out and freeze it. Works
a treat.

AndyS

Nov 9, 2008, 12:21:15 PM11/9/08

Andy suggests:

Get a cat. Feed some of the stuff to the cat...

If the cat doesn't die, it's probably OK to eat...

This ain't rocket surgery...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

aine...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2008, 9:45:45 PM11/10/08
u probably have to throw it away..
what for u want to kept it??
u can get a new one..
health is more important more than everything..

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game <a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com> http://uc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com> http://gc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>