Charter's plan to tamper with user's web traffic and read the actual data in the packets, and on top of this playing [W][O][R][D][G][A][M][E][S] by calling this an enhanced user experience.

A Texan From Connecticut

May 15, 2008, 1:30:33 AM5/15/08
(If Charter and the rest want to "enhance my experience" how about
KEEPING YOUR FUCKING MITTS OFF OF MY DATA! What a concept!)

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1832256

Charter Is Latest ISP To Plan Wiretapping Via DPI
Posted by kdawson on Tuesday May 13, @02:42PM
from the bad-phorm dept.
Privacy The Internet
Charter Communications has begun sending letters to its customers
informing them that, in the name of an "enhanced user experience," it
will begin spying on their traffic and inserting targeted ads. This
sounds almost indistinguishable from what Phorm proposed doing in the
UK. Lauren Weinstein issues a call to arms.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1832256

George

May 15, 2008, 12:01:15 PM5/15/08
A Texan From Connecticut wrote:

> Privacy The Internet
> Charter Communications has begun sending letters to its customers
> informing them that, in the name of an "enhanced user experience," it
> will begin spying on their traffic and inserting targeted ads. This
> sounds almost indistinguishable from what Phorm proposed doing in the
> UK. Lauren Weinstein issues a call to arms.
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1832256

They aren't approaching this the right way. They need to pretend that
their customers are getting something in exchange for the invasion of
their privacy. Something like the supermarkets do.

The ISP could easily do something similar to the "loyalty" ID cards.
They could triple the price of the service and then put a link on their
home page telling you how you could get service at the normal price by
joining their privacy invasion club. They could alternate popups with
periodic encouragement telling you how much you are saving by being a
member of the "club".