Free alternative: Stop getting gouged for 411 calls from Verizon Wireless

Sam

Aug 8, 2007, 6:29:27 AM8/8/07
I discovered Google Voice Local Search in a web forum recently. It's
*free* and it works great. It's better than being raped for $1.49 a pop
for 411 calls from Verizon, on top of their airtime charges.

http://labs.google.com/goog411/

Larry

Aug 8, 2007, 9:06:59 AM8/8/07
samda...@hotmail.com (Sam) wrote in news:20070808102921.C00B04E759
@outpost.zedz.net:

http://www.switchboard.com/

IT even finds people who are unlisted, unpublished or just plain un a lot
of the time. It also does reverse lookups...handy.

Larry

Kenny M

Aug 12, 2007, 1:34:11 PM8/12/07
Program these #'s into your cell phone:

Google: 1-800-466-4411

and

Tellme's 1-800-555-8355

Both work great. I think one of them even offers to connect you to the #
you're looking up,

"Larry" <no...@home.com> wrote in message

Kenny M

Larry

Aug 12, 2007, 3:23:25 PM8/12/07
"Kenny M" <krake...@mypacks.net> wrote in news:nwHvi.13604$tj6.3647
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Program these #'s into your cell phone:
>
> Google: 1-800-466-4411
>
> and
>
> Tellme's 1-800-555-8355
>
> Both work great. I think one of them even offers to connect you to the
#
> you're looking up,

Thank you! Most cool....(c;

These bastards keep calling me so I'm feeding them to the spambots.
--
Sunrise Communications
1374 E. Republic Rd.

Steve Sobol

Aug 12, 2007, 3:59:42 PM8/12/07
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.cellular.verizon.]

On 2007-08-12, Larry <no...@home.com> wrote:
> "Kenny M" <krake...@mypacks.net> wrote in news:nwHvi.13604$tj6.3647
> @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
>> Program these #'s into your cell phone:
>>
>> Google: 1-800-466-4411

800-GOOG-411

>> Tellme's 1-800-555-8355

800-555-TELL

Be forewarned. Several years ago Verizon Wireless charged me their
then-standard $1.25 directory assistance charge for calls to 555-TELL. I
complained quite loudly. I don't know whether that played into their decision
to stop the practice.

See, the problem is this. Dial 411 from a Verizon cell phone and they
incur real costs. I know this because there is a Verizon 411 call
center across the street from my house, a big campus where they
employ tons of people (and they're always hiring operators here). So
I don't have a problem paying for 411 or 555-1212 which is going to be
answered by a Verizon employee; I don't expect them to pay for the
facility and people and not make their money back.

But they incur no such costs on calls to 800-555-TELL, other than the cost
of connecting the call. I'm willing to pay airtime, but not the $1.25. They
don't even incur long distance costs as the long distance is paid for by AT&T
(the company that owns TellMe)!

Verizon stopped this obnoxious, greedy practice a few years ago, but you will
want to check your bill to make sure your carrier doesn't do the same thing.