Virus scanner?

Ken

May 11, 2008, 1:13:42 PM5/11/08
I just removed the AVG free virus scanner from my system - I think! Took
three tries but now it no longer shows up on the Startup ap list or in
the Start program list. I decided it was much more trouble than it was
worth.

Next step - buy the PC Tools virus checker to go with my Spyware Doctor
for $10 or try another free one?

Suggestions?

Maybe I don't need one. Most of my personal mail comes through Gmail
which is scanned, my ISP email is only used for two mailing lists. I
never open email attachments or spam in ISP email. Or maybe I could
switch my mailing lists to an unused Gmail account I have and no longer
use the ISP email?

Also, there's a chance I may switch to Linux within the next month and
would then no longer need virus chacking.

TIA

Ken

Dave

May 11, 2008, 2:15:04 PM5/11/08
>I just removed the AVG free virus scanner from my system - I think! Took
> three tries but now it no longer shows up on the Startup ap list or in
> the Start program list. I decided it was much more trouble than it was
> worth.
>
> Next step - buy the PC Tools virus checker to go with my Spyware Doctor
> for $10 or try another free one?
>
> Suggestions?

avast! is very good for windows freeware antivirus

> Maybe I don't need one. Most of my personal mail comes through Gmail
> which is scanned, my ISP email is only used for two mailing lists. I
> never open email attachments or spam in ISP email. Or maybe I could
> switch my mailing lists to an unused Gmail account I have and no longer
> use the ISP email?

you still need antivirus

> Also, there's a chance I may switch to Linux within the next month and
> would then no longer need virus chacking.

Yeah, antivirus on linux would be kind of redundant.

If you've never used linux before, I suggest you try puppy linux. It's very
easy to use, and you don't NECESSARILY need to install it, either. Just
burn the ISO to CDR media, data, multisession. Then boot the CDR, and linux
will run from the CD. Really. I like puppy linux so much I put it on the
hard drive of my notebook. I also carry it around on CDR to use on other
computers, and as a backup if the hard drive fails.

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.00-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso

Burn that above file to CDR. -Dave

David

May 11, 2008, 4:38:07 PM5/11/08

"Ken" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
I recently bought Spyware Doctor with Antivirus. It worked great for
removing a virus I had, but it stopped my email client (Outlook 2002) from
working at all. PC Tools has so far been no help in resoving this problem.

David

Message has been deleted

Al Bundy

May 12, 2008, 11:36:39 AM5/12/08

Ken wrote:
> I just removed the AVG free virus scanner from my system - I think! Took
> three tries but now it no longer shows up on the Startup ap list or in
> the Start program list. I decided it was much more trouble than it was
> worth.
>
> Next step - buy the PC Tools virus checker to go with my Spyware Doctor
> for $10 or try another free one?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Maybe I don't need one. Most of my personal mail comes through Gmail
> which is scanned, my ISP email is only used for two mailing lists. I
> never open email attachments or spam in ISP email. Or maybe I could
> switch my mailing lists to an unused Gmail account I have and no longer
> use the ISP email?
>
> Also, there's a chance I may switch to Linux within the next month and
> would then no longer need virus chacking.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

I've had all good luck with free AVG for years now.
I use Firefox instead of IE.
I don't visit nasty sites intentionally!
I don't open strange mail. In fact I barely preview it.
I also run a hidden duplicate disk that updates frequently.

Ken

May 12, 2008, 12:54:29 PM5/12/08
"David" <drn...@comcast.net> wrote in

> I recently bought Spyware Doctor with Antivirus. It worked great for
> removing a virus I had, but it stopped my email client (Outlook 2002)
> from working at all. PC Tools has so far been no help in resoving this
> problem.
>
> David

Thanks for the warning. I DLed Avast earlier but it wouldn't run. Am
DLing again to give it one more try. If not, then ???

Ken

May 12, 2008, 12:55:39 PM5/12/08
"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in news:g07d34$7u0$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

> avast! is very good for windows freeware antivirus

Thanks. I DLed it once this morning so far but wouldn't run. I'm giving
it one more DL try.

Seerialmom

May 12, 2008, 8:50:29 PM5/12/08

Only the latter statement is true. Worms don't just come in through
email, but can come in through unpatched OS holes. And since there's
new worms every day, it's possible the OS isn't patched for it but a
virus scanner may be up to date to catch it through heuristics (fancy
name for acting virus-like).

Gordon

May 13, 2008, 11:30:40 PM5/13/08
Seerialmom <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:07844ad9-fea0-42fb-bb3e-
393d26...@w5g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

One big vulnerablity now is the web browser. Page hijacks, and DNS
poisonings are now the bigest threats. Best defense? Run your browser
in a virtual machine or a sandbox.

Dave

May 14, 2008, 7:40:51 AM5/14/08

> One big vulnerablity now is the web browser. Page hijacks, and DNS
> poisonings are now the bigest threats. Best defense? Run your browser
> in a virtual machine or a sandbox.

Ultimate defense? Run seamonkey from the puppy linux live CD (runs totally
in RAM!) -Dave