Got a loud refrigerator, can't afford a new one, what would you do?

BirdWat...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2008, 12:17:47 AM9/8/08
My kitchen is open and the loud noise is anywhere in my home.

Put some blankets over the fridge but this does not help?

Any ideas for me?

Joe

Don Klipstein

Sep 8, 2008, 12:58:31 AM9/8/08
In <54bd5e56-34a9-4aa4...@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
BirdWat...@gmail.com wrote:

How old is this fridge? If it was made in the mid, maybe late 1980's or
so or longer ago, then there is a fair chance you can afford a new one by
reducing your electric bill by something like $5-$10 possibly more per
month.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Jeff

Sep 8, 2008, 2:01:27 AM9/8/08
BirdWat...@gmail.com wrote:
> My kitchen is open and the loud noise is anywhere in my home.
>
> Put some blankets over the fridge but this does not help?

Not a good idea anyways.

Since you've said absolutely nothing about what the noise is or where it
is coming from, and the crystal ball is on loan, I can only guess.

If this is a buzz or a rattle it may be the compressor. The compressor
is suspended from springs in an oil filled enclosure. If the
refrigerator is not level, or if one of these springs has weakened the
compressor will touch a side and vibrate against it. You can see if this
is the problem by leaning the refrigerator slightly in one direction or
another. That would also be your "fix".

And Don is absolutely right. Refrigerators have come a long way in
efficiency.

I'm not an appliance tech, so my understanding of this may be a bit off.

Jeff

Al Bundy

Sep 8, 2008, 7:46:10 AM9/8/08

Google the appliance repair sites like repairclinic.com and they can
walk you through the problem.
The blankets will only cause damage to the appliance by overheating
it.
If the refrigerator works other than the noise, you may only have a
bad fan or something may have contacted the fan and makes the noise
like a kid with a card or stick in the spokes of his bike. The repair
sites will help you check.