Question about nitrogen in tires

pc

May 4, 2008, 4:24:10 PM5/4/08
Greetings group..

I've seen a little bit here and there about filling tires with nitrogen.
Any opinions?
What are the costs?
Where did you get it?
If you have a slow leak can you mix regular air into it?

..PC

Anthony Matonak

May 4, 2008, 4:48:03 PM5/4/08

I can't help with the costs, or where to get it.

My opinion is that it's completely pointless for ordinary vehicles.
You can mix air into it without any problems. Air is already 78%
nitrogen so you're already putting nitrogen in your tires.

If you want to spend money on car stuff then I would recommend a set
of run-flat tires, radar brakes, in-wheel pressure sensors, automatic
parking, GPS, fire control system and a full sized spare. :)

Anthony

JR Weiss

May 4, 2008, 6:01:18 PM5/4/08
"pc" <p...@somewhere.com> wrote...

> I've seen a little bit here and there about filling tires with nitrogen.
> Any opinions?

It's a good idea for airplane tires, where prolonged cold-soaking at low temps
makes a dry gas essential, and where N2 is readily available as a byproduct of
O2 distillation.

BillGill

May 5, 2008, 9:10:32 AM5/5/08
I did some internet research on this a while back. Mostly I found fluff
about how great it is, by the people selling the systems. I finally found
a report on tire inflation by Goodyear (I think). It was for their truck
tires. In the report they said that they only recommended nitrogen for certain
off-road heavy equipment. They didn't recommend it for their over-the-road
tires. I reckon that pretty much says it all right there.

Bill

Al Bundy

May 5, 2008, 11:08:07 AM5/5/08

Yea. We got through the first hundred years of vehicles without pure
nitrogen. Maybe we can go a few more and remember to keep the pressure
adjusted. People want to put something in and forget about it. You
can't do that with nitrogen either. A leak in the tire or rim is still
a leak.

pc

May 8, 2008, 2:29:19 PM5/8/08

Thanks Anthony,

It's being advertised a lot here. So, I thought I'd look into it.
Not gonna spend money where it isn't cost effective.

..PC

Stormin Mormon

May 22, 2008, 8:37:21 AM5/22/08

I've seen a little bit here and there about filling tires with nitrogen.
Any opinions?

CY: Waste of time.

What are the costs?
CY: Who gives. I won't waste my time with it.

Where did you get it?

CY: Didn't.

If you have a slow leak can you mix regular air into it?

CY: Well, now, regular air is 80% n itrogen, 19% oxygen and 1% argon. Of
course, you can mix air with nitrogen. Can you mix water with Kool Aid?

..PC

Shaun Eli

May 24, 2008, 8:14:24 PM5/24/08
Simply put it's a waste of money. No real benefit...

Best use of money is to invest in a pump and a tire gauge and check
your tire pressure (cold) every week-- and add air if you need it. A
tire gauge is less than $10 and an inexpensive electric pump isn't
much more.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)