Exploding iPods!

ulti...@hotmail.com

Aug 20, 2008, 9:55:21 AM8/20/08
http://consumerist.com/5039012/apple-agrees-to-replace-exploding-first+gen-ipods-after-japan-demands-action

what should have been a no-brainer, Apple today agreed to replace any
iPod Nanos that unexpectedly explode. The announcement came as a
response to the Japanese government, which yesterday asked the
computer-maker to "take some measures" to warn consumers of the
potential danger of their little pocket rockets. Apple blames a single
bad battery supplier for the spontaneous fireworks.

Apple said the flaw affected first-generation Nanos, sold between
September 2005 and December 2006, in very rare instances. The
company's statement added that "There have been no reports of serious
injuries or property damage, and no reports of incidents for any other
iPod Nano model."<snip>

weedhopper

Aug 20, 2008, 12:50:37 PM8/20/08

<ulti...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Apple has really turned to shit lately. Do you notice; it never seems to be
their fault. But doesn't QC ultimately fall on the company whose name is on
the product?

Thundercleets

Aug 20, 2008, 2:45:12 PM8/20/08
On Aug 20, 12:50 pm, "weedhopper" <Whop...@comcast.net> wrote:
> <ultim...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >http://consumerist.com/5039012/apple-agrees-to-replace-exploding-firs...

> > what should have been a no-brainer, Apple today agreed to replace any
> > iPod Nanos that unexpectedly explode. The announcement came as a
> > response to the Japanese government, which yesterday asked the
> > computer-maker to "take some measures" to warn consumers of the
> > potential danger of their little pocket rockets. Apple blames a single
> > bad battery supplier for the spontaneous fireworks.
>
> >    Apple said the flaw affected first-generation Nanos, sold between
> > September 2005 and December 2006, in very rare instances. The
> > company's statement added that "There have been no reports of serious
> > injuries or property damage, and no reports of incidents for any other
> > iPod Nano model."<snip>
>
> Apple has really turned to shit lately.  Do you notice; it never seems to be
> their fault.  But doesn't QC ultimately fall on the company whose name is on
> the product?

Apple quality has suffered since they like those in x86 micro-land
have switched production abroad mainly over to China.
They are still better on average then the x86 micro boxen.
CR just rated them no. 1 again in consumer satisfaction overall I
believe.

I don't think I would mind at least a 10% premium for a quality
domestically produced computer.

I wonder if it will get like Fender where the value of a given guitar
is greatly affected by where it was manufactured?
From what I understand Chinese Fenders are the lowest and of course
American Fenders are at the top.

Rod Speed

Aug 20, 2008, 3:35:04 PM8/20/08

Trouble is that its a lot more than a 10% premium.

> I wonder if it will get like Fender where the value of a given
> guitar is greatly affected by where it was manufactured?

Nope, you watch.

> From what I understand Chinese Fenders are the lowest
> and of course American Fenders are at the top.

Wont happen with ipods, essentially because they age so quickly as technology moves on.

Jesse Dorland

Aug 20, 2008, 3:55:34 PM8/20/08
On Aug 20, 2:45 pm, Thundercleets <thundercle...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[stuff deleted for brevity]

> Apple quality has suffered since they like those in x86 micro-land
> have switched production abroad mainly over to China.
> They are still better on average then the x86 micro boxen.
> CR just rated them no. 1 again in consumer satisfaction overall I
> believe.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. Yes PPC was a
nice hardware, but there was a reason why it didn't work out for
Apple. Speed limits, and Heat issue were to primiary reason not
counting others. PCC is a nice CPU for gaming, and servers because you
expect these thing to get hot.

Now, as for x86 being less then perfect? Well, it's not x86 hardware
is one the best in the world -- yes it has its fault. I'll give you a
nice example. Right one at my home I have 486 sx 33mhz machine. I
bought this bad boy in 1993 -- running windows 3.1, dos 6.0 (now
6.22), and millions of games. It is still working -- and I can even
connect to my router. The whole thing was made in china.

> I don't think I would mind at least a 10% premium for a quality
> domestically produced computer.

Apple's operating system OSX is a nice and very secure, non-the-less
apple pricing are lot to be desire. I am one of few in my area who can
afford this bab boy, and that's about it --- mind you I am using a
cheap mac-mini $1000 + $500 accesseries. Other's in my neighborhood
can't even afford this. We are talking about middle-class here.

> I wonder if it will get like Fender where the value of a given guitar
> is greatly affected by where it was manufactured?
> From what I understand Chinese Fenders are the lowest and of course
> American Fenders are at the top.

Don't fool youself, there is a reason manufacturing has move to near
east. There is chane that some of it will come back -- assuming price
of oil go somewhere around $5 per gallon. Which would when Cannibal
Hussian Obama take over, I hope our beloved God fearing Bush would
stop this election and change the law so he can stay for 3rd term.

Long live Republican!!

Steve de Mena

Aug 20, 2008, 11:35:07 PM8/20/08
Thundercleets wrote:
> On Aug 20, 12:50 pm, "weedhopper" <Whop...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> <ultim...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> http://consumerist.com/5039012/apple-agrees-to-replace-exploding-firs...
>>> what should have been a no-brainer, Apple today agreed to replace any
>>> iPod Nanos that unexpectedly explode. The announcement came as a
>>> response to the Japanese government, which yesterday asked the
>>> computer-maker to "take some measures" to warn consumers of the
>>> potential danger of their little pocket rockets. Apple blames a single
>>> bad battery supplier for the spontaneous fireworks.
>>> Apple said the flaw affected first-generation Nanos, sold between
>>> September 2005 and December 2006, in very rare instances. The
>>> company's statement added that "There have been no reports of serious
>>> injuries or property damage, and no reports of incidents for any other
>>> iPod Nano model."<snip>
>> Apple has really turned to shit lately. Do you notice; it never seems to be
>> their fault. But doesn't QC ultimately fall on the company whose name is on
>> the product?
>
> Apple quality has suffered since they like those in x86 micro-land
> have switched production abroad mainly over to China.
> They are still better on average then the x86 micro boxen.
> CR just rated them no. 1 again in consumer satisfaction overall I
> believe.

I don't think their quality is any better than anyone else. Same
power supplies, chips, memory, drives, burners as everyone else uses.
From reading this forum, it should be obvious many Mac owners would
rate them #1 no matter what sort of issues they had.

Steve

Message has been deleted

Steve de Mena

Aug 20, 2008, 11:54:54 PM8/20/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:

> I am a long time Apple user and that hasn't been my experience at all. I
> own one of those first generation iPod nanos, which was a gift. I also
> own an Apple G5 PowerMac, an Apple MacPro (Intel-based) and an Apple
> MacBook Pro (Intel based) and all of them work beautifully. I am using
> the MacBook Pro to type this message.

Do you have an ATI x1900 XT graphics card in your Mac Pro?

Steve

Message has been deleted

Steve de Mena

Aug 21, 2008, 4:54:45 AM8/21/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <LP6dnUlQWLOSejHV...@giganews.com>,

> No. I have a first-generation MacBook Pro which has the Radeon X1600
> graphics card.

You said you had a Mac Pro too. (the tower, not the laptop).

The first generation MacBook Pros were so hot you couldn't put them on
your lap and use them. I have the 2nd gen one that fixed that problem.

Steve

Message has been deleted

Mocassin Joe

Aug 23, 2008, 9:05:43 AM8/23/08

"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <U62dnai4WonIsDDV...@giganews.com>,
> Sorry, I was tired when I read your question. I have a MacBook Pro
> (laptop) at home and a MacPro (tower) at work in my office. I am home so
> I can't look at what my MacPro has, but if you write to me privately, I
> will tell you what graphics card it has when I am at work next, which
> will be this Tuesday.
>
> My MacBook Pro does get hot, but I can use it in my lap for a little
> while before it gets uncomfortable. I have a little platform for it
> though with a USB fan, which solves the problem.

Is that little platform with fan an Apple option? My MIL has suffered third
degree burns from using her MacBook, and I would love to buy the little
platform for her. Your help would be appreciated.

Message has been deleted

Mocassin Joe

Aug 23, 2008, 1:19:54 PM8/23/08

> In article <qVTrk.16618$vX2....@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
> You can buy them at any decent computer store for about $20. This
> heating problem is common on many laptops, not just Apple's. I have an
> HP laptop from work that gets just as hot, if not hotter, then my
> MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the info. That will make her happy.

Truly Stunned

Aug 24, 2008, 7:10:23 AM8/24/08
"Mocassin Joe" <jmoca...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Is that little platform with fan an Apple option? My MIL has suffered third
> degree burns from using her MacBook, and I would love to buy the little
> platform for her. Your help would be appreciated.

The best one we've found is the Belkin model with a fan that operates
off power from the USB port. It works really well with both our Mac and
Windows laptops.

BTW, we bought a Macbook Pro with the new Penryn processor. Much cooler
operating. Expect the same would be true for Windows laptops using it.