Describe American teenagers' lives to a 16-year-old Chinese girl

me...@cyvest.com

Aug 6, 2008, 12:50:32 AM8/6/08
Hello --

This topic is probably off-base for this group. I am posting it first
here because I have found pretty level-headed advice in this group and
maybe readers can help me on this question. Please tell me if you can
suggest other newsgroups better suited to this question.

A Chinese 16-year-old girl I met in China a year ago wants me to tell
her something about American teenagers. My children are long past
that age and I need to acquire some cultural awareness quickly.

Can anyone suggest safe newsgroups, blogs or websites that present
factual information about American teenage life that I could recommend
she browse?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Mehl

Rod Speed

Aug 6, 2008, 1:43:18 AM8/6/08
me...@cyvest.com <me...@cyvest.com> wrote

> Hello --

Goodbye --

> This topic is probably off-base for this group.

Yep.

> I am posting it first here because I have found pretty level-headed advice
> in this group and maybe readers can help me on this question. Please tell
> me if you can suggest other newsgroups better suited to this question.

Any of them.

> A Chinese 16-year-old girl I met in China a year ago wants me to tell
> her something about American teenagers. My children are long past
> that age and I need to acquire some cultural awareness quickly.

Not even possible.

> Can anyone suggest safe newsgroups, blogs or websites that present factual
> information about American teenage life that I could recommend she browse?

Nope.

> Thanks in advance for any help.

No thanks for your off topic post.

> Larry Mehl

Rod Speed

Aug 6, 2008, 2:57:50 AM8/6/08
Rod Speed, ye worm-infested bloody nero, you kiss by the book, ye
disputed:

> All I want is a warm bed and a kind word.

PaPaPeng

Aug 6, 2008, 3:02:15 AM8/6/08

That's a pretty big question. What she really wants to know is are
the images she sees in Hollywood films anywhere near reality? Those
are the impressions she would be familiar with. On one hand we have
those dark murderous images of poor inner city youth gangs. On the
other hand there are these images of late teen white vacuous kids a-la
Paris Hilton. They seem to be so wealthy and carefree that America
must really be the land of milk and honey where one doesn't have to
strive for anything to live a luxurious life.

Message has been deleted