Frugal Living & Green Living

cjkosmos

Mar 2, 2008, 10:52:36 AM3/2/08
Did you know that Frugal Living & Green Living compliment each other
very well? Share with us your frugal living tips that can also help
protect the environment.

My example: We reuse allot of our Chinese take out containers to store
food in and practice towel reuse in the bathroom. This saves us money
on "Tupperware" and energy and water consumption. This is one example
of our way of reducing plastic in landfills as well.

Visit my site for other ways to go Green and save money-http://
greenisnotjustacolor.blogspot.com/

Share your ideas!

val189

Mar 2, 2008, 2:11:13 PM3/2/08
On Mar 2, 10:52 am, cjkosmos <carlwaynejor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Did you know that Frugal Living & Green Living compliment each other
> very well? Share with us your frugal living tips that can also help
> protect the environment.
>
> My example: We reuse allot of our Chinese take out containers to store
> food in

yeah, but what if they use those @#$# foam boxes? Better to lug your
own Tup if you know you are going to being taking food home.

and practice towel reuse in the bathroom. This saves us money
> on "Tupperware"

You mean you don't own ANY?

Band energy and water consumption. This is one example

> of our way of reducing plastic in landfills as well.
>
> Visit my site for other ways to go Green and save money-http://
> greenisnotjustacolor.blogspot.com/
>
> Share your ideas!

Place wet jeans in the trunk on a hot day - it's a 'free' dryer.

Cheapo Groovo

Mar 2, 2008, 5:22:20 PM3/2/08
In article <8d60a39e-63f4-4a77-9168-
c78d3d...@u72g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, gweh...@bellsouth.net
says...
Rain Water Harvesting
Walk to the store
But used clothes from a thrift store

The folks on this forum seem to be frugal but still are brainwashed by
consumerism

http://cheapogroovoo.vox.com

The_Source

Mar 2, 2008, 6:26:17 PM3/2/08
On Mar 3, 1:52 am, cjkosmos <carlwaynejor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Did you know that Frugal Living & Green Living compliment each other
> very well? Share with us your frugal living tips that can also help
> protect the environment.

Okay, so here goes...

> My example: We reuse allot of our Chinese take out containers to store
> food in and practice towel reuse in the bathroom. This saves us money
> on "Tupperware" and energy and water consumption. This is one example
> of our way of reducing plastic in landfills as well.

I take the opposite standpoint by owning Tupperware but not eating any
takeaway. We have take away maybe 2-3 times a year and when we do, we
use the containers to store the kids craft things, when they are worn
out they make things out of them for play (boats, rockets, surf boards
etc). All before being recycled. By not eating take away it also
means that:

* less take away containers are used in the first place,
* we save money by cooking ourselves,
* my husband and kids always have wholesome sandwiches/meals
hygenically packed in reusable containers rather than plastic wrap for
lunches,
* I can put 50% of my savings back into Tupperware and the rest in my
back pocket (read: savings).

I currently also make my own range of body care products as I am sick
of my skin reacting to all the chemical garbage they put into
shampoos, body wash etc. I make my own tomato sauce, chutneys,
pickles, jams and apple sauce also.

As we have moved house we are in the process of re-establishing
ourselves which means we have future plans for:

* rain water harvesting
* grey water harvesting
* solar hot water system
* vegetable garden (organic - no chemicals)
* fruit trees (organic - no chemicals)
* electrical work to reduce power consumption

And that is just the tip of the iceberg.