Aluminum

e7hrq4zo

Mar 6, 2008, 8:04:09 AM3/6/08
Aluminium is remarkable for its ability to resist corrosion and its
light weight.
richards
http://www.indian-aluminium-products.com

Al Bundy

Mar 6, 2008, 8:30:54 PM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 8:04 am, e7hrq4zo <rubydd0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aluminium is remarkable for its ability to resist corrosion and its
> light weight.

But so are copper and other metals. Aluminum is abundant and cheap.
That's it's real advantage. In the wrong atmosphere, aluminum corrodes
worse than steel. It's also not very strong and needs to be extra
thick to perform in many applications. The extra thickness often
offsets most of the weight advantage.

Terryc

Mar 6, 2008, 9:01:03 PM3/6/08

Someone posted once that for building in aluminium, he just doubled the
thickness for steel and saved 2/3rdsof the weight. Seems a fair trade
off, if you can afford the aluminium in the first place.

I get as much for more for aluminium than I do for copper these days.

Gary Heston

Mar 6, 2008, 11:52:19 PM3/6/08
In article <6a228dde-0594-4ef2...@34g2000hsz.googlegroups.com>,

Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote:
>On Mar 6, 8:04 am, e7hrq4zo <rubydd0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aluminium is remarkable for its ability to resist corrosion and its
>> light weight.

>But so are copper and other metals. [ ... ]

Since when has copper been "remarkable" for corrosion resistance or
light weight? Copper oxidizes readily and is heavier than steel, not
to mention aluminum.

Specific gravities:

Aluminum 2.55 - 2.80
Copper 8.80 - 8.95
Steel 7.80

Source: http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra.html

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
and global warming, then get awarded a "peace prize".

Al Bundy

Mar 7, 2008, 1:00:26 PM3/7/08

Gary Heston wrote:
> In article <6a228dde-0594-4ef2...@34g2000hsz.googlegroups.com>,
> Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote:
> >On Mar 6, 8:04 am, e7hrq4zo <rubydd0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Aluminium is remarkable for its ability to resist corrosion and its
> >> light weight.
>
> >But so are copper and other metals. [ ... ]
>
> Since when has copper been "remarkable" for corrosion resistance or
> light weight? Copper oxidizes readily and is heavier than steel, not
> to mention aluminum.
>
> Specific gravities:
>
> Aluminum 2.55 - 2.80
> Copper 8.80 - 8.95
> Steel 7.80
>
> Source: http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra.html
>

> Gary

It all comes down to what you are using it for. They don't use
aluminum for your water pipes, for example. They tried aluminum as
wiring in residential use and there were some disasters. I hate
aluminum in many applications because of stripped threads and the
expansion characteristics that cause leaks and cracks. But I used
aluminum foil to make a lining for my rusted oil pan on an old car and
saved about $600 in the process.
Anyway, the OP was merely scamming to gain traffic for his site.