Anyone use icall (VOIP) free computer-to-phone calling?

Dirk

Aug 13, 2007, 4:07:23 PM8/13/07
www.icall.com

I read an article in the NY Times which mentioned "icall" as one of
the few or only, FREE computer-to-phone (anywhere in the U.S. or
Canada) programs. It is also one of the few where they say it may work
on dial-up. I have a very slow dial-up connection, but I was still
able to call friends' phones when they weren't home and listen to
their messages, or if I called them at home, hear them talk, but my
voice broke up to much.

Definately worth trying and I can't wait to try it when I get
broadband in a month or two. I use a mic, and earphones (instead of a
headset which I don't have) and the software was very clever in
setting things up for you, testing the mic etc. No addresses and
credit card numbers to sign up and start calling.

My question is, for someone who uses icall on broadband and can
RECEIVE calls. When you are online, and someone calls you on it, does
a screen pop up as you hear the phone ring? I get neither, because of
my very slow connection probably. Then again, the person was calling
me from a regular phone. Do they have to call in from a computer?

When I get wireless Broadband, I plan on ditching my land line,
hooray. I can't wait to say goodbye to it.