What's Up With Telephone Cards?

Janie

Aug 13, 2007, 1:43:18 PM8/13/07
I used to buy telephone cards to use for long-distance calls within the USA.
The cards were good for state-to-state calls or in-state cards. The only
cards I can find now are for state-to-state calls only. If a person uses one
of the state-to-state cards to make an in-state call, the cost is five times
the rate of state-to-state calling.

Did something change that doesn't allow the sale of cards good for in-state
calls?

I usually purchase cards AT&T cards at Wal-Mart.

Does anyone have suggestions for some card that is good for in-state calls?
I don't like putting long distance calls on my bill; like using the prepaid
cards so I don't get an unwelcome surprise when my phone bill arrives.

George Grapman

Aug 13, 2007, 1:56:10 PM8/13/07
Several states enacted regulations that tax phone cards the same way
a regular phone calls for instate calls resulting in additional minutes
being deducted for each call. My guess is some carriers got tired of
complaints from people who saw nine minutes taken off of a five minute call.
My suggestion is to find a local store with a large selection ,ask
what the best card is for your needs and buy the smallest denomination.
Some stores will sell you the best card,some will offer the most
profitable and some will sell you the one closes to the register.

Bob F

Aug 14, 2007, 8:24:22 PM8/14/07

"Janie" <nob...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Last time I looked, the cards had the same in-state rates until you "recharged"
them. Then the rules you mention took over. So you just buy new cards. That was
several months ago.

Bob

George Grapman

Aug 14, 2007, 9:08:49 PM8/14/07

I think that is unlikely as you are using the same PIN and access
number for the original card and the recharge and therefore accessing
the same platform which is the rate programmed into the computer for
that card.

Bob F

Aug 15, 2007, 12:33:49 AM8/15/07

"George Grapman" <sfge...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

It must change the rate when you re-program the card. That is certainly not
beyond reason. And it is what their sign said. And what the card company told me
on the phone.

Bob

George Grapman

Aug 15, 2007, 12:39:58 AM8/15/07
Then they are, in fact going through the trouble of adjusting it.
I left that business last year for number of reason, one being that
there were too many cards with too much small type and I tired of
explaining that a five cent a minute card with no fees or charges might
be a better buy that a 1 cent a minute card with connection charges.