Arab and Asian Indian Stores And The Risks They Encounter

BrotherSandMonkey

Nov 19, 2007, 5:24:18 PM11/19/07
As you well know, Mom and Pop stores are really much a thing of the
past when it comes to inner cities and urban areas. This has been
dominated by owners of Arab descent. While it can be understood these
Arab- and even Asian Indian- owned stores encounter risks if they are
located in urban areas ansd if they are 24 hour operated. Thus you may
at times read of a shooting or robbery taking place involving a store
of this type. Not to mention that these stores may mark up goods which
they purchased at stores primarily catering to the average consumer
(eg Aldi, Save A Lot, et al).

George Grapman

Nov 19, 2007, 6:26:02 PM11/19/07

Don't know where you are but in San Francisco the mom and pop stores
are an integral part of the city , They almost always sell milk at a
lower cost than the chains ans some will special order things. Stuck $5
in your pocket and the tap is $7,no problem, pay it next time.
Want a check cashed for $20 over the amount to avoid ATM fees? Happy
to oblige you.

Logan Shaw

Nov 19, 2007, 9:53:59 PM11/19/07
BrotherSandMonkey wrote:
> As you well know, Mom and Pop stores are really much a thing of the
> past when it comes to inner cities and urban areas. This has been
> dominated by owners of Arab descent. While it can be understood these
> Arab- and even Asian Indian- owned stores encounter risks

I'm thoroughly confused by your statement. It implies that the operators
of these small Asian and Arab stores do not or perhaps cannot have children.
This seems really far-fetched to me, because of course people of all races
and nationalities have kids. Therefore they are moms and pops. If an
Asian or Arab family owns a store, how is it not a "Mom and Pop store"?

I'd love to see you put your definition of "Mom and Pop store" into words
in a way that's clear enough that others could look at a store and know
whether it's a "Mom and Pop store" or not. This would be interesting
because I'd love to see what adjectives you're going to use.

- Logan

** Frank **

Nov 19, 2007, 11:03:34 PM11/19/07

"George Grapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message

San Francisco mom and pop store use to be white own, Chinese took over
during the late 50s, than the Arabs came in during the early 70s. Don't know
when the Asian Indians took over as I was out of the City by than. I use to
work in one - long hours, low profit and dangerous. Most days all you could
do is break even. We use to buy from union, United Grocers, and have the
trucks deliver the products and can goods to the front door. Our cost of
goods were more than what Safeway sells down the street. Tough to make a
living that way. We use to extend credit to everyone in the neighborhood,
even little kids for candy money. Suprisingly we didn't get burn too often.
Bums/winos come in and we make them a free sandwich and a soft drink and
send them off. Got rob couple of times but only once at gun point - too
dangerous now.

Message has been deleted

BrotherSandMonkey

Nov 21, 2007, 5:16:33 PM11/21/07
On Nov 19, 11:03 pm, "** Frank **" <noem...@xyz.net> wrote:
> "George Grapman" <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote in message

> San Francisco mom and pop store use to be white own, Chinese took over
> during the late 50s, than the Arabs came in during the early 70s. Don't know
> when the Asian Indians took over as I was out of the City by than. I use to
> work in one - long hours, low profit and dangerous. Most days all you could
> do is break even. We use to buy from union, United Grocers, and have the
> trucks deliver the products and can goods to the front door. Our cost of
> goods were more than what Safeway sells down the street. Tough to make a
> living that way. We use to extend credit to everyone in the neighborhood,
> even little kids for candy money. Suprisingly we didn't get burn too often.
> Bums/winos come in and we make them a free sandwich and a soft drink and
> send them off. Got rob couple of times but only once at gun point - too
> dangerous now.

Thank you, George. You're quite right. It is dangerous these days.
And there is ongoing
hatred for these Asian Indians and Arabs; the hatred can be exhibited
when certain customers get
nasty with them, police may be called in. This can occur on weekends
when the local bar scene is
quite active with suburbanites who decide to come to the city to
party. The mix can get hectic at these
24 hour A-Plus Mini-Marts which charge a lot for food and other items
while their best sales are lottery
tickets, malt liquor/alcohol, cigarettes and gasoline.

BrotherSandMonkey

Nov 21, 2007, 5:17:49 PM11/21/07
On Nov 20, 9:46 am, jdoe <j...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:24:18 -0800 (PST), BrotherSandMonkey
> your point is?

You reap what you sow. You often deserve what you get if you get
greedy.