wireless Keyboards

Jeff

Oct 29, 2007, 10:16:39 PM10/29/07
Now that I have a monitor that doesn't take half a desk (20" Dell LCD
instead of a 20" tube), I thought I could move the monitor around a bit.

This has me thinking wireless desktops. I see they are no longer IR,
which seemed to me a rediculous idea.

Any experience? I'm thinking small keyboard, perhaps one of the
logitechs. Yeah, and cheap!

Jeff

joe brown

Oct 29, 2007, 10:53:33 PM10/29/07
Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:

> Now that I have a monitor that doesn't take half a desk (20" Dell LCD instead of a 20" tube), I thought I could move
> the monitor around a bit.

I went even further and use the PC from a deep armchair with my feet up.

> This has me thinking wireless desktops. I see they are no longer IR, which seemed to me a rediculous idea.

> Any experience?

Yep, been using a decent wireless system for years now.

> I'm thinking small keyboard, perhaps one of the logitechs.

Thats what mine is, and it works fine.

> Yeah, and cheap!

I didnt go for a cheap one, largely because I wanted something
better than average in the mouse, particularly one where you just
drop the mouse into the garage thingo to charge it and it gives you
so much warning on needing a charge that even if you forget to put
it in the charger, it will happily work all day with the low battery led
blinking and that reminds you to charge it that night.

Only real downside is that I have a hard floor, not carpet, and it isnt
hard to drop the mouse on the floor occasionally. Hasnt killed it yet tho.

Anthony Matonak

Oct 29, 2007, 11:04:46 PM10/29/07
Jeff wrote:

> This has me thinking wireless desktops. I see they are no longer IR,
> which seemed to me a rediculous idea.
>
> Any experience? I'm thinking small keyboard, perhaps one of the
> logitechs. Yeah, and cheap!

The wireless keyboards and mice are battery operated. This means you'll
have to replace or recharge the batteries periodically. Keyboards aren't
really a problem and will go for months on a set of batteries but mice
can be power hogs. Optical mice will drain batteries faster than the
older style mechanical mice because they need to power the light.

They usually only go about 4 to 6 feet in distance and anything metal
will decrease this. If you're using anything that puts out a lot of
RF then they'll sometimes not work. This includes cell phones, wireless
headsets/phones, power tools, CRT monitors and so on.

Look closely at the keyboard layouts. A lot of them put keys in really
weird places. As with anything, avoid the really cheap junk you find on
discount tables. :)

Anthony

Jeff

Oct 29, 2007, 11:31:52 PM10/29/07
joe brown wrote:

> Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:
>

>>Now that I have a monitor that doesn't take half a desk (20" Dell LCD instead of a 20" tube), I thought I could move
>>the monitor around a bit.
>

> I went even further and use the PC from a deep armchair with my feet up.

Oh man! Now that's working!

>>This has me thinking wireless desktops. I see they are no longer IR, which seemed to me a rediculous idea.
>

>>Any experience?
>

> Yep, been using a decent wireless system for years now.
>

>>I'm thinking small keyboard, perhaps one of the logitechs.
>

> Thats what mine is, and it works fine.
>

>>Yeah, and cheap!
>

> I didnt go for a cheap one, largely because I wanted something
> better than average in the mouse, particularly one where you just
> drop the mouse into the garage thingo to charge it and it gives you
> so much warning on needing a charge that even if you forget to put
> it in the charger, it will happily work all day with the low battery led
> blinking and that reminds you to charge it that night.

Having also read Anthony's post I think I'll go upscale a bit. I take
it that yours works more than 6'?

Having not considered the drain from the optical mouse it sounds like
rechargeable is the way to go. What's the saying: the cheap comes out
expensive.

> Only real downside is that I have a hard floor, not carpet, and it isnt
> hard to drop the mouse on the floor occasionally. Hasnt killed it yet tho.

I guess I'll miss my MS corded ball mouse, the only decent thing
Microsoft made that I own! Hmm, now I'm remembering my first mouse that
I bought *used* with a bus card, I think it was $50!

Jeff

joe brown

Oct 30, 2007, 12:40:21 AM10/30/07
Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:
> joe brown wrote:
>
>> Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> Now that I have a monitor that doesn't take half a desk (20" Dell
>>> LCD instead of a 20" tube), I thought I could move the monitor
>>> around a bit.
>>

>> I went even further and use the PC from a deep armchair with my feet up.

> Oh man! Now that's working!

Perfect, I'd never go back to a desk again.

Before I changed to that I used to have my feet up on the desk
in a decent big desk chair with a separate keyboard in my lap.

>>> This has me thinking wireless desktops. I see they are no longer
>>> IR, which seemed to me a rediculous idea.
>>

>>> Any experience?
>>

>> Yep, been using a decent wireless system for years now.
>>

>>> I'm thinking small keyboard, perhaps one of the logitechs.
>>

>> Thats what mine is, and it works fine.
>>

>>> Yeah, and cheap!
>>

>> I didnt go for a cheap one, largely because I wanted something
>> better than average in the mouse, particularly one where you just
>> drop the mouse into the garage thingo to charge it and it gives you
>> so much warning on needing a charge that even if you forget to put
>> it in the charger, it will happily work all day with the low battery
>> led blinking and that reminds you to charge it that night.

> Having also read Anthony's post I think I'll go upscale a bit. I take it that yours works more than 6'?

Yeah, tho I didnt go for a bluetooth one which can work
at 30' or so, too far from the screen to be able to read it.

> Having not considered the drain from the optical mouse it sounds like rechargeable is the way to go.

Yeah, particularly if you want decent performance, that does use quite a bit of power.

> What's the saying: the cheap comes out expensive.

Yep, tho the keyboard is fine, I only change the batterys in that about once a year or so.

>> Only real downside is that I have a hard floor, not carpet, and it isnt hard to drop the mouse on the floor
>> occasionally. Hasnt killed it yet tho.

> I guess I'll miss my MS corded ball mouse, the only decent thing Microsoft made that I own!

The main reason I went for the Logitech MX700 is that its got a lot of extra buttons on it.
I'd never go back to a mouse without at least forward and backward buttons as well as
the scroll wheel etc now. The main downside tho is that you do tend to get locked into
the button detail and its irritating to change to something else later if it dies etc.

Thats the other advantage with the non cheap ones, very long warrantys, 7 years with mine.

The main reason I changed from MS was because I always wear out the
letters on all modern keyboards and MS doesnt cover that on warranty.
I was planning to shaft MS on that with our pretty gung ho consumer
pretection laws, but managed to cripple myself with an accident just
as the warranty ran out so I didnt get a chance to do that at the time.

Logitech did say that they would cover that on the warranty,
and its worn the most used letters off too, but I havent gotten
around to trying them on that warranty, its got quite a while to
run yet and the letters are just a minor nuisance since I do touch
type and only need the letters for stuff like the CD ID codes etc.

> Hmm, now I'm remembering my first mouse that I bought *used* with a bus card, I think it was $50!

Yeah, I had one of those too. Then I used the cheapest mice I could find for years
until I got sick of the cords failing. Then the wireless mice showed up and I decided
that it made sense to pay more for something decent since I use it so much. They
dont end up costing all that much per year even with the top of the line mice.

joe brown

Oct 30, 2007, 12:42:10 AM10/30/07
Anthony Matonak <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>> This has me thinking wireless desktops. I see they are no longer
>> IR, which seemed to me a rediculous idea.
>>
>> Any experience? I'm thinking small keyboard, perhaps one of the
>> logitechs. Yeah, and cheap!
>
> The wireless keyboards and mice are battery operated. This means
> you'll have to replace or recharge the batteries periodically.
> Keyboards aren't really a problem and will go for months on a set of
> batteries but mice can be power hogs. Optical mice will drain
> batteries faster than the older style mechanical mice because they
> need to power the light.
> They usually only go about 4 to 6 feet in distance and anything metal
> will decrease this. If you're using anything that puts out a lot of
> RF then they'll sometimes not work. This includes cell phones,
> wireless headsets/phones, power tools, CRT monitors and so on.

I've never found that with my Logitech MX700, but
its a top of the line mouse and wasnt that cheap.

Vic Smith

Oct 30, 2007, 1:39:22 AM10/30/07
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:40:21 +1100, "joe brown" <j...@www.com> wrote:

>>> I went even further and use the PC from a deep armchair with my feet up.
>
>> Oh man! Now that's working!
>
>Perfect, I'd never go back to a desk again.
>
>Before I changed to that I used to have my feet up on the desk
>in a decent big desk chair with a separate keyboard in my lap.

Be careful how you keep your legs. For a while I had my feet on the
desk, and it seemed to cause no problem. Very comfortable.
At some point my knees started hurting when I walked, but x-rays and
an MRI found no problems.
One day my wife said, "Get your feet off the desk, it doesn't look
right to have your knees unsupported."
She pulled up another chair that let me put my legs out but supported
them under the knees. Knee problems went away.
Use an Ottoman now, as it's easier to manage than the chair. Instead
of legs straight out, I usually keep one foot flat on the Ottoman,
crossing the other leg over the flat-footed one. Makes a good
keyboard cradle in my lap too.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Oct 30, 2007, 4:41:03 AM10/30/07
Vic Smith <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Oh man! Now that's working!
>>
>> Perfect, I'd never go back to a desk again.
>>
>> Before I changed to that I used to have my feet up on the desk
>> in a decent big desk chair with a separate keyboard in my lap.

> Be careful how you keep your legs.

I try to keep them in my jeans in winter, and in my shorts in summer.

I've heard there can be a problem with the large footed fellas if you dont.

> For a while I had my feet on the desk, and it
> seemed to cause no problem. Very comfortable.

I havent seen any problem in the 40+ years I have been doing it now.

> At some point my knees started hurting when I walked,

I dont ever get that effect.

> but x-rays and an MRI found no problems.
> One day my wife said, "Get your feet off the desk,
> it doesn't look right to have your knees unsupported."
> She pulled up another chair that let me put my legs out but
> supported them under the knees. Knee problems went away.

I never have that problem.

> Use an Ottoman now, as it's easier to manage than the chair.

Thats what I have been using now for 30+ years.

> Instead of legs straight out, I usually keep one foot flat on the Ottoman,

I just have the heel on it.

> crossing the other leg over the flat-footed one.

Thats what I mostly do.

> Makes a good keyboard cradle in my lap too.

Yeah, and I use a cover from an A4 book for the mouse.

And put the keyboard on that and the mouse on the side table when typing anything much like the reply to this post.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 30, 2007, 11:14:41 AM10/30/07
>Only real downside is that I have a hard floor, not carpet, and it isnt
>hard to drop the mouse on the floor occasionally. Hasnt killed it yet tho.

Does anyone know if a keyboard with built in trackball
might be better...a wireless unit that is?

Rod Speed

Oct 30, 2007, 4:26:43 PM10/30/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

I dont like the style myself.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 31, 2007, 9:45:18 AM10/31/07
>> Does anyone know if a keyboard with built in
>> trackball might be better...a wireless unit that is?
>
>I dont like the style myself.

You prefer to have the keyboard and mouse as separate
units, yes?

Wireless keyboard and mouse that is

Rod Speed

Oct 31, 2007, 4:09:07 PM10/31/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Does anyone know if a keyboard with built in
>>> trackball might be better...a wireless unit that is?

>> I dont like the style myself.

> You prefer to have the keyboard and mouse as separate units, yes?

Yep. Tho I dont bother with a mouse on the laptop, I use the pad on
that. I dont do much on the laptop tho, keyboard and mouse wise.
When I do much on that I use the wireless keyboard and mouse
thats used on the desktops, using Synergy that allows a single
keyboard and mouse to be used on all the PC simultaneously,
you just mouse from one to the other across all the screens etc.

> Wireless keyboard and mouse that is

Yep.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 31, 2007, 5:23:33 PM10/31/07
>using Synergy that allows a single
>keyboard and mouse to be used on all the PC simultaneously,

Very cool Rod!