Frugal Data Recovery

Jeff

Nov 3, 2007, 7:25:23 PM11/3/07
I'll need to recover some files off a hard disk that has lost or
corrupted it's directory. (win 2000, NTFS I think. Chkdsk won't run.)

Any recommendations for a frugal but good data recovery program? The
mass of commercial programs out there is a bit much for me to sort through.

This may not be strictly on topic here, but this is a very diverse
and intelligent group and I don't think this will be the days worst topic!

Jeff

Gary Heston

Nov 3, 2007, 9:36:41 PM11/3/07
In article <13iq0h8...@corp.supernews.com>,

Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:
> I'll need to recover some files off a hard disk that has lost or
>corrupted it's directory. (win 2000, NTFS I think. Chkdsk won't run.)

> Any recommendations for a frugal but good data recovery program? The
>mass of commercial programs out there is a bit much for me to sort through.

There are some tools on the Ultimate Boot CD that may be of use to you;
I was able to recover a system which lost its' MBR, thanks to it.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

A good set of tools.

> This may not be strictly on topic here, but this is a very diverse
>and intelligent group and I don't think this will be the days worst topic!

Hope you can recover your system.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Shawn Hirn

Nov 4, 2007, 1:19:56 AM11/4/07

Google for "Data Rescue" then consider setting up a good strategy to
back up your hard drive on a regular basis.

Chris Hill

Nov 4, 2007, 10:30:59 AM11/4/07
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 18:25:23 -0500, Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:

> I'll need to recover some files off a hard disk that has lost or
>corrupted it's directory. (win 2000, NTFS I think. Chkdsk won't run.)
>
> Any recommendations for a frugal but good data recovery program? The
>mass of commercial programs out there is a bit much for me to sort through.

Recover my files. You can try it and only pay if it will get your
data back.

dale randall

Nov 4, 2007, 4:17:06 PM11/4/07
Here is a free program That I used to recover info from and old hd that
I had changed formats from fat to the later format and it wouldn't read
anything . http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Alan Parkington

Nov 4, 2007, 4:53:38 PM11/4/07

"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Google for "Data Rescue" then consider setting up a good strategy to
> back up your hard drive on a regular basis.

Wow.. you must be some kind of genius. Well done!

Jeff

Nov 6, 2007, 10:01:40 AM11/6/07
dale randall wrote:

That seems to be the program.

NTFS has caused me problems from time to time. This time I believe I
hit the 137 meg limit (my bios and WIN2000 SP4 both support larger) and
the disk lunched. Some days, I'm surprised Bill Gates is still alive!

I've got about two weeks that I don't have backed up....

Jeff