Immigrant work

Snowbound

Feb 5, 2008, 10:38:05 AM2/5/08
Whoo-hoo! Let's get some Americans working at the jobs illegals take,
right? Yeah, no doubt Americans will break the down the doors of
factories like the following. After all, they are paying as much as
$12/hr. And the working conditions are very "clean". So c'mon all you
out of work Americans! Move to Minnesota to clean the brains out of
butchered hogs heads:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05pork.html?ex=1202878800&en=4
d72d1d953677842&ei=5043&partner=EXCITE>

(Or, if your newsreader can't handle the line length:
<http://tinyurl.com/2hlgpq>)

Quotes from article (begin included material):

***

"Quality Pork Processors [...] kills and butchers 19,000 hogs a day"

"Quality Pork is [Minnesota's] second biggest employer, with 1,300
employees. Most work eight-hour shifts along a conveyor belt ‹ a
disassembly line, basically ‹ carving up a specific part of each
carcass. Pay for these line jobs starts at about $11 to $12 an hour.
The work is grueling, but the plant is exceptionally clean and the
benefits are good, said Richard Morgan, president of the union local.
Many of the workers are Hispanic immigrants. Quality Porkąs owner does
not allow reporters to enter the plant."

"A survey of the workers confirmed what the plantąs nurses had
suspected: those who got sick were employed at or near the łhead
table,˛ where workers cut the meat off severed hog heads."

"Dr. Ruth Lynfield, the state epidemiologist, toured the plant. She and
the owner, Kelly Wadding, paid special attention to the head table. Dr.
Lynfield became transfixed by one procedure in particular, called
łblowing brains.˛

"As each head reached the end of the table, a worker would insert a
metal hose into the foramen magnum, the opening that the spinal cord
passes through. High-pressure blasts of compressed air then turned the
brain into a slurry that squirted out through the same hole in the
skull, often spraying brain tissue around and splattering the hose
operator in the process."

"The brains were pooled, poured into 10-pound containers and shipped to
be sold as food ‹ mostly in China and Korea, where cooks stir-fry them,
but also in some parts of the American South, where people like them
scrambled up with eggs.

The person blowing brains was separated from the other workers by a
plexiglass shield that had enough space under it to allow the heads to
ride through on a conveyor belt. There was also enough space for brain
tissue to splatter nearby employees.

łYou could see aerosolization of brain tissue,˛ Dr. Lynfield said.

The workers wore hard hats, gloves, lab coats and safety glasses, but
many had bare arms, and none had masks or face shields to prevent
swallowing or inhaling the mist of brain tissue.

Dr. Lynfield asked Mr. Wadding, łKelly, what do you think is going on?˛

The plant owner watched for a while and said, łLetąs stop harvesting
brains.˛

***

So there you have it. These are good, hi-paying jobs going to brown
Mexicans when they could be going to increase the size of the white
American middle class. Imagine the boon to the American economy if every
potential Rosie the Riveter became a patriotic Betsy the Brain Blower.
Ha! WHAT recession? Betsy could festoon her new pork-brain-grey SUV with
red-white-and-blue sticker magnets and little Christian fish symbols!
Just think of how world hunger could be reduced with a steady supply of
top-quality, American-produced hog brains feeding the starving masses.

I bet the plant owner would allow the workers to bring some delicious
hog-brain slurry home for their own families to eat, too! MMMM-mmm! Man,
that's some good brain slurry.

And the liberals don't think Americans would work the jobs immigrants
take. Sheesh. What fantasy world are *they* living in?

BeaF...@msn.com

Feb 5, 2008, 3:03:30 PM2/5/08
Without illegal/ second class workers the factory would have to
increase the pay rate. If they doubled they hourly wage the line out
front of applicants would stretch for blocks, and the price of the
meat might increase ten percent or so. If the factory were to hire
citizens who are covered OSHA and able to form unions, the conditions
would improve.

Snowbound

Feb 5, 2008, 11:11:49 PM2/5/08
In article
<365c4a6b-9a73-43d0...@l16g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
BeaF...@msn.com wrote:

They already have unions in that plant. Try to keep up. There is a
recession. Employers don't have to double wages, they could pretty much
cut them. They've got *all* workers exactly where they want them: on the
bread lines. See? No discrimination in the business world! Have a nice
day.

Snowbound

Feb 5, 2008, 11:28:43 PM2/5/08

> Without illegal/ second class workers the factory would have to
> increase the pay rate.

None of the workers in that plant are "illegal" as you call them. They
all have their documents. "Illegal" aliens working in pig plants are so
old news. Oh,but wait- "legality" never was the *real* question, was
it?

> If they doubled they hourly wage the line out front of applicants
> would stretch for blocks, and the price of the meat might increase
> ten percent or so. If the factory were to hire citizens who are
> covered OSHA and able to form unions, the conditions would improve.

Well they could do that with the workers they have right now. They have
a union. And they are still getting so sick they can't even stand up.
Wow, unions and OSHA really protected those brown guys, huh? They would
probably do better with "real" Americans.

Oh, wait, the story talks of an unbelievably sick 17-year female plant
worker by the name of Kruze (pronounced CROO zee) who is white enough to
tell the reporter, "...I have brains on my arms ALL the time." Before
the interview, she didn't know her illness could be related to the
medical investigation at work, no did she know her co-workers (or should
I say cow-orkers? Or hogworkers?) were getting sick, either.

Ha-ha! Those workers, boy! You just can't get material like that from
professional writers.

Kruse will be okay, though. She goes to the local right-wing church, so
when she dies, she will at least meet Jesus. Kin I git a Amen, pussies?

rick++

Feb 7, 2008, 12:36:43 PM2/7/08
Management wont hire legal employees
and pay benefits. Often labor is subcontracted
to hide this fact. The subcractors dissolve their
companies as soon as there is a wiff of
investigation and start new ones.