Home safe odors

Marsha

Sep 30, 2007, 2:59:53 PM9/30/07
The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp
and they smell odd. Does anyone have any suggestions
on solving this problem?

Thanks,
Marsha/Ohio

Don K

Sep 30, 2007, 3:19:31 PM9/30/07
"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:fdorrk$jv2$2...@news.datemas.de...

> The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp and they smell odd. Does anyone
> have any suggestions on solving this problem?

Get a dehumidifier.

Don

Marsha

Sep 30, 2007, 3:45:52 PM9/30/07
Don K wrote:

I don't think it would fit inside the safe ;-)

Don K

Sep 30, 2007, 4:34:59 PM9/30/07
"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:fdouhr$jv2$3...@news.datemas.de...

(I've got to stop using the computer without putting my glasses on)

The solution to your problem is to simply leave the door open
a crack. :-)

Anthony Matonak

Sep 30, 2007, 5:52:51 PM9/30/07
Marsha wrote:
> The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp and they smell
> odd. Does anyone have any suggestions on solving this problem?

First, you have to dry off the contents. Then you can use a dessicant
stored inside the safe to help keep the contents dry. You'll need to
periodically replace the dessicant and recharge them (dry them out).

For example...
http://www.bluelaketackle.com/browning-dry-zone-dessicant-550gram-each-p-21649.html

Logan Shaw

Sep 30, 2007, 5:14:52 PM9/30/07
Marsha wrote:
> Don K wrote:
>> "Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message

>>> The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp and they smell
>>> odd. Does anyone have any suggestions on solving this problem?

>> Get a dehumidifier.

> I don't think it would fit inside the safe ;-)

No, but unless the safe is air-tight, it should accomplish the same thing
if you put dehumidify the air outside the safe. (Come to think of it, it
also accomplish the same thing even if the safe is air-tight, since when
you open it, it would fill with dehumidified air.)

Anyway, I wonder if the problem is due to condensation when the temperature
changes.

I suppose another approach is to buy one of those small cans of desiccant
stuff. You could put that inside the safe and it would absorb moisture.
Like this:

http://www.theruststore.com/40-Gram-Rechargeable-Silica-Gel-Canister-P46C6.aspx

The product description says you can "recharge" it by putting it in the
oven (which presumably makes it shed the absorbed moisture and get ready
to absorb some more).

- Logan

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Sep 30, 2007, 5:23:51 PM9/30/07
In article <fdouhr$jv2$3...@news.datemas.de>, m...@xeb.net says...

> Don K wrote:
>
> > "Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:fdorrk$jv2$2...@news.datemas.de...
> >
> >>The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp and they smell odd. Does anyone
> >>have any suggestions on solving this problem?

> > Get a dehumidifier.

> I don't think it would fit inside the safe ;-)

Look for silica gel packets. They are larger versions of the
ones inside bottles of aspirin, etc. Maybe check a camera store.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

hchi...@hotmail.com

Sep 30, 2007, 8:51:28 PM9/30/07
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:23:51 -0700, Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG
<Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote:

>In article <fdouhr$jv2$3...@news.datemas.de>, m...@xeb.net says...
>> Don K wrote:

>> > Get a dehumidifier.
>

>> I don't think it would fit inside the safe ;-)
>

>Look for silica gel packets. They are larger versions of the
>ones inside bottles of aspirin, etc. Maybe check a camera store.

Calcium Chloride aka DampRid. Absorbs the water and turns the CaCl
into a slush, which can be heated to drive off the moisture.

Dennis

Sep 30, 2007, 10:06:12 PM9/30/07

There are active dehumidifiers that are made to work inside safes.
Goldenrod is one brand. It is essentially a very low wattage radiant
electric heater. I have one and it seems to work, but my safe is in a
dry (but unheated) spot to start with.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

jo...@phred.org

Sep 30, 2007, 11:11:06 PM9/30/07
In article <fdorrk$jv2$2...@news.datemas.de>, m...@xeb.net says...

> The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp
> and they smell odd. Does anyone have any suggestions
> on solving this problem?

"Crystals" type cat litter is silica gel, the same stuff sold in
overpriced little packets for drying things. Buy a 4lb jar of it, pour
it into a dry cloth bag (or a clean pillowcase) and put it in the safe.

Bake it in the oven overnight to dry it out occasionally.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Marsha

Oct 1, 2007, 8:00:11 PM10/1/07
jo...@phred.org wrote:
> In article <fdorrk$jv2$2...@news.datemas.de>, m...@xeb.net says...
>
>>The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp
>>and they smell odd. Does anyone have any suggestions
>>on solving this problem?
>

> "Crystals" type cat litter is silica gel, the same stuff sold in
> overpriced little packets for drying things. Buy a 4lb jar of it, pour
> it into a dry cloth bag (or a clean pillowcase) and put it in the safe.
>
> Bake it in the oven overnight to dry it out occasionally.

You're serious...this would work?

Marsha/Ohio

Marsha

Oct 1, 2007, 8:04:59 PM10/1/07
Dennis wrote:

> There are active dehumidifiers that are made to work inside safes.
> Goldenrod is one brand. It is essentially a very low wattage radiant
> electric heater. I have one and it seems to work, but my safe is in a
> dry (but unheated) spot to start with.
>

> Dennis (evil)

The safe is very small, 14" x 10" x 6". Would that
work in a safe that size?

Marsha/Ohio

** Frank **

Oct 2, 2007, 9:48:43 AM10/2/07

<Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote in message

Someone mention rice works too. If really frugal, you could eat it or make a
glue paste after.

Dennis

Oct 2, 2007, 12:19:34 PM10/2/07

I know that they offer various sized Goldenrods, but I doubt that
there is one that small. You might do some googling though.

With that size, you are probably better off using the silica gel
packs. (Just remember, as tempting as it may be -- DON'T EAT! :-)

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

Wooly

Oct 2, 2007, 12:33:52 PM10/2/07

Yes, it works, and it's cheaper than buying the little packets.

Too_Many_Tools

Oct 2, 2007, 4:54:47 PM10/2/07

The suggestions you are getting are good ones.

You need some kind of dessicant to control moisture.

A small safe like the one you have is likely a fire safe...and it has
gypsum in its walls that has water chemically locked in it that will
protect the contents if a fire would occur. It is natural for the
interior of the safe to be at a somewhat higher humidity than the
outside.

TMT

Beeblebrox

Oct 2, 2007, 7:12:30 PM10/2/07

BUT - does it have the repeated reminder not to eat it?

Wooly

Oct 2, 2007, 8:54:26 PM10/2/07
Beeblebrox wrote:

> BUT - does it have the repeated reminder not to eat it?

In fine print, on every granule.

Nicik Name

Oct 4, 2007, 11:50:03 PM10/4/07

"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:fdorrk$jv2$2...@news.datemas.de...
> The contents of my small home safe feel slightly damp
> and they smell odd. Does anyone have any suggestions
> on solving this problem?
Bad Air Sponge
http://www.seefred.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/page=badairsponge.htm

> Thanks,
> Marsha/Ohio

wilian...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2013, 3:11:05 AM3/6/13
Safes in NYC are providing safe accessories for home safes, office safes, laptop safes, waterproof safes etc. These are very helpful to make the valuables safe and secure.

http://www.lackasafe.com/