frugal used battery

Jeff

Aug 2, 2008, 12:18:56 AM8/2/08
My car battery died a couple weeks back and I bought a new battery.
This morning I found out that I no longer had a car battery.

I've acquired a used battery that looks like it's been overfilled and
is not holding a charge for long. Aren't there some tricks to
rejuvinating used car batteries?

Jeff

Rod Speed

Aug 2, 2008, 12:54:42 AM8/2/08
Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

None that are worth bothering with.

Message has been deleted

Gary Heston

Aug 2, 2008, 1:54:48 PM8/2/08
In article <U_CdnUiwZ-iofQ7V...@earthlink.com>,

Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
> My car battery died a couple weeks back and I bought a new battery.
>This morning I found out that I no longer had a car battery.

Next item on the list is some way of locking the hood, or relocating the
battery to the trunk.

> I've acquired a used battery that looks like it's been overfilled and
>is not holding a charge for long. Aren't there some tricks to
>rejuvinating used car batteries?

Another new battery is a better choice than trying to fix a damaged one.
Stick with minimum cost until the theft problem is solved.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Why is it that these days, the words "What idiot" are so frequently
followed by the words "at Microsoft"?

Leland Milton Goldblatt, Ph.D E.d,D, W Is still not my pRESIDENT.

Aug 2, 2008, 8:48:57 PM8/2/08
I don't understand your message. The recycled battery should be under
warrantee. .

Shalom,

---Prof. Leland Milton Goldblatt, Ph.D.
Reverend Chancellor Leland Milton Goldblatt Ph.D. ED.D. M.F.A, D.Div.
M.Theo . Distinguished Professor

http://goldblatt.faithweb.com/

You can believe me that as a life long Democrat I will vote Republican
for the first time in my life.

I am actively supporting John McCain for President of the United
States. I am not coming home to the do nothing Democrats !! We gave
them a chance in 06 to take on Bush and they failed miserably.

There will be no unity in the party in this situation.

Experience is what I am searching for in my leaders and Obama shows
his lack of leadership skills daily.

I am encouraging the delegates from my state to hold a floor fight in
Denver. This is no JOKE I am very sorry to see the Democrats make such
a grievous error when the white house was within their grasp. It is
most unfortunate that you have lost people like myself with this man
called Obama.

Jeff

Aug 3, 2008, 11:43:46 AM8/3/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <U_CdnUiwZ-iofQ7V...@earthlink.com>,
> Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe its a matter of personal preference, but I get in my car and start
> it, the last thing I want is for the battery to die. Considering that
> car batteries rarely have to be replaced and they are not very
> expensive, I prefer to buy a new one when the time comes and not worry
> about if the old battery will continue to work. If starting your car is
> important to you, don't bother with a used battery.
>
> By the way, I don't understand your first paragraph. If you bought a new
> car battery, what happened to it?

Stolen. I found the hood ajar and the battery missing.

I'm unsure how the hood was raised since it has an inside hood
release. There is an unobvious way of bypassing that and that may have
been the thief's method. I've cut off the shortcut.

I'd rather not go through a string of new batteries, batteries are
still $60+ a pop. As the leader of the free world put it: "Fool me
once, shame on- shame you. Fool me- you can't get fooled again." -
George W. Bush

Jeff

If it went bad, can't you have it
> replaced under its factory warranty?

Rod Speed

Aug 3, 2008, 3:44:51 PM8/3/08
Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>> In article <U_CdnUiwZ-iofQ7V...@earthlink.com>,
>> Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My car battery died a couple weeks back and I bought a new
>>> battery. This morning I found out that I no longer had a car
>>> battery. I've acquired a used battery that looks like it's been
>>> overfilled and is not holding a charge for long. Aren't there some
>>> tricks to rejuvinating used car batteries?
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>
>> Maybe its a matter of personal preference, but I get in my car and
>> start it, the last thing I want is for the battery to die.
>> Considering that car batteries rarely have to be replaced and they
>> are not very expensive, I prefer to buy a new one when the time
>> comes and not worry about if the old battery will continue to work.
>> If starting your car is important to you, don't bother with a used
>> battery. By the way, I don't understand your first paragraph. If you bought a
>> new car battery, what happened to it?
>
> Stolen. I found the hood ajar and the battery missing.
>
> I'm unsure how the hood was raised since it has an inside hood
> release. There is an unobvious way of bypassing that and that may have
> been the thief's method. I've cut off the shortcut.

> I'd rather not go through a string of new batteries, batteries are still $60+ a pop.

All you have to do to avoid that is make it impossible to steal the replacement, stupid.

Al Bundy

Aug 3, 2008, 5:31:57 PM8/3/08

Tom and Ray, the Car Talk radio show guys, told a story of how
thieves would steal a battery and then come back and steal the new
replacement. So when it happened to one of them, he cleaned up a dead
battery from the shop so it looked new and put it in the car on the
street. The dead battery was then stolen. I don't know if it's a true
story. Seems like it might invite vandalism anyway.
PS. I don't know what you did to stop the latch from opening, but I
guarantee I could be under that hood in seconds with way more damage
that you want happening over a battery.

Vic Smith

Aug 3, 2008, 7:31:37 PM8/3/08
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Al Bundy
<MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote:

> Tom and Ray, the Car Talk radio show guys, told a story of how
>thieves would steal a battery and then come back and steal the new
>replacement. So when it happened to one of them, he cleaned up a dead
>battery from the shop so it looked new and put it in the car on the
>street. The dead battery was then stolen. I don't know if it's a true
>story. Seems like it might invite vandalism anyway.
>PS. I don't know what you did to stop the latch from opening, but I
>guarantee I could be under that hood in seconds with way more damage
>that you want happening over a battery.

So when the alarm goes off before you even start wrenching the
hold-down how many seconds does it take you to get out of sight?

--Vic

Frank

Aug 3, 2008, 7:55:23 PM8/3/08

> Stolen. I found the hood ajar and the battery missing.

Check your insurance policy, it may cover thief with no deductible.

Years ago I'd used a chain and padlock to lock up the hood. The pucks in my
inner city area were not able to got into my engine compartment and got so
pissed that they broke my windshield. As a student, I couldn't afford
comprehensive insurance and learn how to replace the windshield myself
purchased from a junk yard.

Jeff

Aug 4, 2008, 12:34:46 AM8/4/08

There's a misconception about thieves. They steal because it is easy.
I say that as someone whose car (the same car) has been stolen once and
attempted to have been stolen twice. 88 New Yorkers are apparently easy.

There's a cable that releases the latch, on the opposite side of the
cable attachment is the other end of the lever and you can slip a
screwdriver into a slot in this lever and pop the hood. I cut this end off.

At this point I don't care about the appearance of the car as the
front end was already clipped by an out of control SUV on XMAS eve. For
the moment, necessary frugality prevents me from replacing the car.

Jeff