1969 lead gas additive? (substitute)

1 view

OhioGuy

Jul 28, 2007, 9:22:19 AM7/28/07
We have purchased a 1969 Ford Econoline van. I was remembering that my
Dad used to add some sort of lead substitude additive to an older vehicle.
I think there were a couple of reasons for this:

1) the old vehicles would often combust too early on newer gas (less power)

2) the old vehicles depended on the lead to decrease engine wear

So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we should be using a lead
substitute additive with the gas. Anyone? Thanks!

OhioGuy

Jul 28, 2007, 9:22:33 AM7/28/07

throwitout

Jul 28, 2007, 12:10:47 PM7/28/07

For problem one use a higher grade of gas such that you don't get
pinging, also look at adjusting the timing. I knew someone that
complained of pinging in their vintage car when running on regular.
The manual called for 91 octane anyways. Putting premium in and there
was no pinging.

For #2, I think it's the valves that have the issue. There may be a
slight increase in valve seat wear. If they've been worked on since,
chances are they were replaced with ones that are leadfree compatible.

Gary Heston

Jul 28, 2007, 3:33:43 PM7/28/07
In article <f8fmvv$tib$2...@aioe.org>, OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> We have purchased a 1969 Ford Econoline van. I was remembering that my
>Dad used to add some sort of lead substitude additive to an older vehicle.
>I think there were a couple of reasons for this:

>1) the old vehicles would often combust too early on newer gas (less power)

Detonation, AKA pinging; usually shows up under acceleration.

It's a problem with older vehicles because the octane of regular 30+ years
ago was higher than it is today--same with Premium and Super. I can remember
seeing 104 octane Super in pumps; today it's 95-96. Current Premium is about
the same octane as regular used to be; I second the recommendaton to run it
if you hear detonation when running regular. It wouldn't hurt to try both
and see what mileage you get, even if you're not hearing detonation.

>2) the old vehicles depended on the lead to decrease engine wear

> So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we should be using a lead
>substitute additive with the gas. Anyone? Thanks!

Lead was an inexpensive valve lubricant. If the engine hasn't been worked
on, your local Ford dealer can tell you whether or not you need an additive.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Roger Shoaf

Jul 29, 2007, 12:07:07 PM7/29/07

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message news:f8fmvu$tib$1...@aioe.org...

> We have purchased a 1969 Ford Econoline van. I was remembering that my
> Dad used to add some sort of lead substitude additive to an older vehicle.
> I think there were a couple of reasons for this:
>
> 1) the old vehicles would often combust too early on newer gas (less
power)

Set the timing to match the fuel and you can run regular no problem. If it
pings when you have your foot at full throttle, back off a bit.

> 2) the old vehicles depended on the lead to decrease engine wear

On a 69 Ford you will have no problem with unleaded, after all it has been
running on unleaded for almost 30 years.

> So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we should be using a lead
> substitute additive with the gas. Anyone? Thanks!

Don't waste your money. Unless you have some super high compression Ferrari
or something, don't even bother with "premium" gas. Also do not get
confused by the octane rating. If you look at the little yellow stickers on
the pump, it says R+M/2. The R is the research octane, and that is the
higher number, and the M is the method octane number.

In the old days, the research octane number was used as an advertising ploy
to depict the gasoline as something more than it was. A higher octane does
not translate to more energy to move your truck down the road. If your
truck pings under moderate acceleration, the timing needs to be retarded a
bit and it will run just fine.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.