Inexpensive way to remove oil stains from concrete driveway?

1 view

zcar...@yahoo.com

Jan 7, 2008, 11:19:52 PM1/7/08
My old car had leaked oil on the driveway over a period of 2 yrs. How
do i remove the oil stains without getting a costly power washer? Are
there household detergents or solvents i can use. The stain is about 3
long and 2 feet wide. Thanks.

sdiwc2

Jan 8, 2008, 12:20:22 AM1/8/08

Buy some powder Tide detergent. Sprinkle heavly on oil stain and let
it set. It will soak up of the excess oil. After it has set for a
hour or so shovel up the the oil soaked tide. Sprinkle another very
light layer and scrub with a broom. Then hose it off.

Logan Shaw

Jan 8, 2008, 12:54:28 AM1/8/08

I haven't personally tried it, but maybe this stuff would work:

http://www.latexite.com/pr-cleaner.html

Seems to (I *think*) work with your garden hose, and it's available
at Home Depot.

- Logan

Chris Hill

Jan 8, 2008, 11:54:52 AM1/8/08

Cat litter or oil dry. Put it on, smash it down by walking on it,
leave it. Sweep up. Repeat until stain is gone.

Seerialmom

Jan 8, 2008, 1:11:19 PM1/8/08

Wouldn't it work better to sprinkle some generic clay cat litter first
to soak up the oil, shovel off and then do a two part Tide wash (make
a paste of Tide and allow to sit on the stain, scrub with the broom or
brush and then rinse, repeat once more?).

Lou

Jan 8, 2008, 8:07:53 PM1/8/08

<zcar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Since you had two years to do something about it (put a piece of cardboard
under the car, get the leak fixed) and didn't, presumably you're willing to
take some time fixing the problem as well.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is nothing, provided of course you're
not still adding to the problem. Don't park whatever car you have now over
the stain, leave it exposed - natural weathering and decay will erase the
stain in a year or two.

zcar...@yahoo.com

Jan 8, 2008, 10:29:47 PM1/8/08
On Jan 8, 7:07 pm, "Lou" <lpogodajr292...@comcast.net> wrote:
> <zcare...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Car has been fixed for several months now, so not a problem. I
recently received a letter from the homeowner's association asking to
remove the stains.