download films on Waitrose, Zen or 'be'

johngood_____

Apr 17, 2008, 4:25:19 PM4/17/08
At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable) and have
learnt recently from virgin that my £17.99 a month package, was capped at
2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP stream for the same
money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade me to the faster IP system
and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so for the system to pick up speed.

It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with www.speedtest.net
which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s. That's at 2045hours this
evening.

I use the internet myself mainly just for web browsing and emailing, but my
son upstairs uses his pc for constantly downloading films. (we're talking 24
hours a day downloading). I thought that his using the pc like this might
put him
and me into the special 'heavy users' catagory. I have tried to understand
virgin's traffic management policy, but cannot. Could I be getting such
slow
download speeds because of my sons usage? Although when I got the speedtest
result this evening he was not downloading anything and he has not done so
for a couple of days.

When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the Zen
packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly for me;
what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every month, so I
might know which of the different packages to aim for?

A friend has recommended 'be' internet provider. They say that their
downloads are not capped. Could this be possible? Everybody else is
talking about capping so I'm wondering if what I'm offered is too good to be
true. 'be' require me to be tied into a 12 month contract , so I'm
wondering if they really do not effect some complicated kind of capping
especially since it's only £14.99 a month. [ incidentally 'be' told me over
the phone that my connection to the exchange could give me a maximum of 7 to
8 MB/s download speed whilst everybody else I've ever talked to about it
including virgin and bt tell me that the maximum speed i could possibly get
on my line is 5 MB/s. Would that be because 'be' are using different
equipment or are more fanciful in their expectations?]

Would be grateful if some of you knowledgeable guys who know about this
stuff might recommend one out of: Zen, Waitrose or 'be' for someone with
my and my son's user profile. Thanks for advice.

Rod Speed

Apr 17, 2008, 4:47:27 PM4/17/08
johngood_____ <vo...@voidacious.net> wrote:

> At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable)
> and have learnt recently from virgin that my £17.99 a month package,
> was capped at 2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP
> stream for the same money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade
> me to the faster IP system and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so
> for the system to pick up speed.

> It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with
> www.speedtest.net which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s.

Thats a pretty useless measure of the connection speed.

What does the modem say the speed is ?

> That's at 2045hours this evening.

> I use the internet myself mainly just for web browsing and emailing,
> but my son upstairs uses his pc for constantly downloading films.
> (we're talking 24 hours a day downloading). I thought that his using the pc like this might put him and me into the
> special 'heavy users' catagory. I have tried to understand virgin's traffic management policy, but cannot. Could I
> be getting such slow download speeds because of my sons usage?

Yes. And it isnt just the download speed that matters, most of the time its
actually limited by the upload speed with torrents and other movie downloads.

> Although when I got the speedtest result this evening he was not downloading anything and he has not done so for a
> couple of days.

> When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
> Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the
> Zen packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly
> for me; what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every
> month, so I might know which of the different packages to aim for?

Impossible to say, because it depends entirely on what he is downloading
and how many at once, and where from and how many seeds the sources
of the movies have etc. There is a hell of a difference between the current
popular favourites seeds wise and say obscure unusual stuff movie wise.

I can burn up 100G a month without even trying and I dont even bother
with the most popular movies and mostly dont download movies either.

> A friend has recommended 'be' internet provider. They say that their downloads are not capped. Could this be
> possible?

Yes, there are a some operations that arent.

> Everybody else is talking about capping so I'm wondering if what I'm offered is too good to be true. 'be' require me

> to be tied into a 12 month contract, so I'm wondering if they really do not effect some complicated kind of capping

> especially since it's only £14.99 a month.

Yeah, thats a real possibility.

> [ incidentally 'be' told me over the phone that my connection to the exchange could give me a maximum of 7 to 8 MB/s
> download speed whilst everybody else I've ever talked to about it including virgin and bt tell me that the maximum
> speed i could possibly get on my line is 5 MB/s.

adsl1 can do 8Mb and you can do a lot better than that with adsl2+

Quite a few isps do limit the download to less than the technology can do tho.

> Would that be because 'be' are using different equipment

Yes.

> or are more fanciful in their expectations?]

Unlikely given the consumer law protection you have if they cant deliver what they claim.

> Would be grateful if some of you knowledgeable guys who know about this stuff might recommend one out of: Zen,
> Waitrose or 'be' for someone with my and my son's user profile.

Not everyone who reads here uses the english systems.

PlusNet Support Team

Apr 17, 2008, 7:00:36 PM4/17/08
On 17/04/2008 at 21:25 johngood_____ wrote:
> When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
> Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the Zen
> packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly for me;
> what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every month, so I
> might know which of the different packages to aim for?

A retail DVD is circa 4.5GB.

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

Kadaitcha Man

Apr 17, 2008, 7:03:30 PM4/17/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> johngood_____ <vo...@voidacious.net> wrote:
>
>> At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable)
>> and have learnt recently from virgin that my �17.99 a month package,
>> was capped at 2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP
>> stream for the same money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade
>> me to the faster IP system and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so
>> for the system to pick up speed.
>
>> It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with
>> www.speedtest.net which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s.
>

> Thats a pretty useless<BITCHSLAP>

Hello, Woddleypoo. I have a usenet k0oK award marked out with your name on
it. The name of the award has the word "COWARD" in it.

Are you going to come out and play with the nasty Kadaitcha Man? Or are you
going to run away and hide like you always do when I decide to give you a
taste of your own medicine? Hmmm?

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Find me on Google Maps: 24�39'47.13"S, 134�4'20.18"E

Message has been deleted

John Whitworth

Apr 18, 2008, 5:20:34 AM4/18/08

"johngood_____" <vo...@voidacious.net> wrote in message

> Would be grateful if some of you knowledgeable guys who know about this
> stuff might recommend one out of: Zen, Waitrose or 'be' for someone with
> my and my son's user profile. Thanks for advice.

I'm with Zen. I have the Ł25/month 20GB cap service. I cannot remember the
last time I lost service, and the quality of the connection is always good.
But it's not cheap though...I guess you get what you pay for. For so many
film downloads, a 2GB cap is definitely no good. I'd reckon you are probably
looking at needing more like a 50GB cap.

JW

Woby Tide

Apr 18, 2008, 6:30:41 AM4/18/08
On Apr 17, 9:25 pm, "johngood_____" <v...@voidacious.net> wrote:
> At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable) and have
> learnt recently from virgin that my £17.99 a month package, was capped at
> 2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP stream for the same
> money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade me to the faster IP system
> and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so for the system to pick up speed.
>
> It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test withwww.speedtest.net
> which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s. That's at 2045hours this
> evening.
>
> I use the internet myself mainly just for web browsing and emailing, but my
> son upstairs uses his pc for constantly downloading films. (we're talking 24
> hours a day downloading). I thought that his using the pc like this might
> put him
> and me into the special 'heavy users' catagory.

Depending what films he is downloading some Be users have received
letters telling them to stop downloading certain films after Be were
approached by the film companies owning the copyright. But so will
most ISP's going forward

> A friend has recommended 'be' internet provider.  They say that their
> downloads are not capped.  Could this be possible?  Everybody else is
> talking about capping so I'm wondering if what I'm offered is too good to be
> true.  'be' require me to be tied into a 12 month contract ,

only on their cheapest package is there a 12 month contract, on the
£18 contract it's 3 months, or you can leave for £40 at any point. You
can actual swap packages month to month so you could go on the lowest
package but when you want to leave, upgrade and reduce the notice term

> wondering if they really do not effect some complicated kind of capping
> especially since it's only £14.99 a month.  [ incidentally 'be' told me over
> the phone that my connection to the exchange could give me a maximum of 7 to
> 8 MB/s download speed whilst everybody else I've ever talked to about it
> including virgin and bt tell me that the maximum speed i could possibly get
> on my line is 5 MB/s.  Would that be because 'be' are using different
> equipment or are more fanciful in their expectations?]

different equipment and technology ADSL2 v ADSL

they certainly are good for your sons usage, the speed very rarely
dips even at peak times

ato...@hotmail.com

Apr 18, 2008, 6:51:08 AM4/18/08

> > When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
> > Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the
> > Zen
> > packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly for me;
> > what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every month, so I
> > might know which of the different packages to aim for?
>
> A retail DVD is circa 4.5GB.

You also have to consider how fast your chosen ISP can deliver
downloads, which may be significantly lower than your connect
speed, or your ISP's (often favourable to your ISP) speed test.
It can also be time of day sensitive.
Large several GB downloads can be painfully slow during
the evening, after midnight when the US and UK are in bed
the rate is much faster, so for large downloads I leave the
PC on overnight, generally the log shows that they finish
at about 2-3am.
While a large download is in progress most other
activities like web brousing slow to a crawl.
You can buy extra useage from some ISP's, Zen
is £1.50 per GB over your allowance, so 4.5GB
would cost arond the same as a budget DVD.
With an (cough) uncapped ISP, who doesn't
implement a fair useage policy, you can download
as much as you like all night if it gives you
better speed, at no extra cost than your package,
such ISP's are a bit thin on the ground.
.

ato...@hotmail.com

Apr 18, 2008, 7:01:30 AM4/18/08

> Depending what films he is downloading some Be users have received
> letters telling them to stop downloading certain films after Be were
> approached by the film companies owning the copyright. But so will
> most ISP's going forward

You just set up a VPN connection to one of the free public
VPN servers, being encrypted your ISP can't then snoop
on what you are downloading.
Most ISP's seem to be taking the line that if you want us
to monitor our users you pay us what it costs, legislation
forcing ISP's to monitor their users seems some way off,
would incur substantial overheads to monitor several
million users, just to catch a few downloaders of copyright
material, and ineffective against VPN connections.
.

DanB

Apr 18, 2008, 8:33:10 AM4/18/08
"johngood_____" <vo...@voidacious.net> wrote in message

Sounds like you need at least 50gb. I use Demon, 50gb fair usage policy,
£19.99 a month.

--
Dan
Clio V6

§ñühw¤£f

Apr 18, 2008, 12:16:07 PM4/18/08
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:03:30 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" <nospam.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > johngood_____ <vo...@voidacious.net> wrote:
> >
> >> At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable)
> >> and have learnt recently from virgin that my £17.99 a month package,
> >> was capped at 2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP
> >> stream for the same money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade
> >> me to the faster IP system and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so
> >> for the system to pick up speed.
> >
> >> It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with
> >> www.speedtest.net which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s.
> >
> > Thats a pretty useless<BITCHSLAP>
>
> Hello, Woddleypoo. I have a usenet k0oK award marked out with your name on
> it. The name of the award has the word "COWARD" in it.
>
> Are you going to come out and play with the nasty Kadaitcha Man? Or are you
> going to run away and hide like you always do when I decide to give you a
> taste of your own medicine? Hmmm?

No everone unnerstans yer shtick :)
You prolly intimadates a few of em...

Speed test is preetty much crap tho sence the ISPs somtiems cache it loco :)

So you *always* get a "good" reading.
Might wanna use ping or somthing.

Message has been deleted

я黨wぃf

Apr 18, 2008, 5:03:41 PM4/18/08
Emil Tiades <emilt...@marathon.org> clouded the waters of pure thought with:

> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:16:07 -0700, я黨wぃf <snuh...@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:03:30 +1000
> >"Kadaitcha fuckwit Man" <nospam.nos...@gmail.com> trolled:
> <trolling>

> >No everone unnerstans yer shtick :)
> >You prolly intimadates a few of em...
> >

> Don't feed the troll, this one is bloated with shit.

Do you have any frugal living to discuss, Net Abuser?

Froupsline RESTORED :)
--
www.alternet.org

Kadaitcha Man

Apr 18, 2008, 5:52:08 PM4/18/08
"§ñühw¤£f" <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:03:30 +1000
> "Kadaitcha Man" <nospam.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Thats a pretty useless<BITCHSLAP>
>>
>> Hello, Woddleypoo. I have a usenet k0oK award marked out with your name
>> on it. The name of the award has the word "COWARD" in it.
>>
>> Are you going to come out and play with the nasty Kadaitcha Man? Or are
>> you going to run away and hide like you always do when I decide to give
>> you a taste of your own medicine? Hmmm?
>>

> No everone unnerstans yer shtick :)
> You prolly intimadates a few of em...
>
> Speed test is preetty much crap tho sence the ISPs somtiems cache it loco
> :)

Rod Speed takes delight in being grossly offensive to those he believes are
weaker than himself, yet he flat refuses to engage with yours truly. Without
fail, he runs and hides. He is a first order coward.

> So you *always* get a "good" reading.
> Might wanna use ping or somthing.

I only intend to bitchslap the cunt from here to kingdom come with mere
metaphor. Him being shown up as a cowardly bully can't be that painful, can
it?

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Kadaitcha Man

Apr 18, 2008, 5:53:48 PM4/18/08
"Emil Tiades" <emilt...@marathon.org> wrote in message

> Don't feed the troll, this one is bloated with shit.

<aside>
As he said, that troll is bloated with shit.

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:

Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

§ñühw¤£f

Apr 19, 2008, 12:05:58 PM4/19/08
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:52:08 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" <nospam.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've been in newsfroups full of Sensitive Types.
If you disagree with them in the slightest they plonk you and announce it often.

> > So you *always* get a "good" reading.
> > Might wanna use ping or somthing.
>
> I only intend to bitchslap the cunt from here to kingdom come with mere
> metaphor. Him being shown up as a cowardly bully can't be that painful, can
> it?

So he's a drive-by flamer?
Yeah, them type is pussies.

--
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/18/collins-iraq-debacle/

Kali

Apr 19, 2008, 2:21:40 PM4/19/08
In <20080419090558.2d6cc983@vector>, §ñühw?£f
snuh...@netscape.net said:
>On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:52:08 +1000
>"Kadaitcha Man" <nospam.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "§ñühw?£f" <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote in message

PLONK!

>> > So you *always* get a "good" reading.
>> > Might wanna use ping or somthing.
>>
>> I only intend to bitchslap the cunt from here to kingdom come with mere
>> metaphor. Him being shown up as a cowardly bully can't be that painful, can
>> it?
>>
>So he's a drive-by flamer?
>Yeah, them type is pussies.
>
>--
>http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/18/collins-iraq-debacle/

--
Kali

Art Deco

Apr 19, 2008, 3:01:08 PM4/19/08

No way, I *PLONK* you first.

>>> I only intend to bitchslap the cunt from here to kingdom come with mere
>>> metaphor. Him being shown up as a cowardly bully can't be that painful, can
>>> it?
>>>
>>So he's a drive-by flamer?
>>Yeah, them type is pussies.
>>
>>--