egg crate foam pad really help

Dave & Marcia

Mar 27, 2003, 2:15:17 PM3/27/03
I have a mattress that is uncomfortable (too hard). Do the egg crate foam
pads really help? Do they break down or loose their cushion over time?

Chotii

Mar 27, 2003, 2:39:08 PM3/27/03

"Dave & Marcia" <da...@pioneer-net.com> wrote in message

> I have a mattress that is uncomfortable (too hard). Do the egg crate foam
> pads really help? Do they break down or loose their cushion over time?

I find they do help, but yes, over time they break down and get squashed
flat, and will need to be replaced.

--angela

Barry Wong

Mar 27, 2003, 2:52:02 PM3/27/03
Dave & Marcia <da...@pioneer-net.com> wrote:

> I have a mattress that is uncomfortable (too hard). Do the egg crate foam
> pads really help? Do they break down or loose their cushion over time?

I've used one in the past, and it seemed to help a great deal. My only
warning here is not to buy a cheap pad; this is one place where
frugality is definitely not the same thing as getting the least
expensive deal.

I'd recommend the high-density foam, at 2-3 inches thick. I don't know
what they go for these days, but even 15 years ago, ours was almost
$100. But it was really nice -- not just comfortable, but a better
supporting surface for my troublesome back. We had to go to a foam shop
to find it -- it's not the kind they sold at Walmart.

Caveat: I'm not a doctor or a bed or foam salesman. YMMV.

mj

Mar 27, 2003, 9:04:31 PM3/27/03

Chotii wrote:

And they should never be used by smokers (those who smoke in the bed
room). Most are highly flammable - as recently shown by the recent RI
nightclub fire.

Caveat

Mar 28, 2003, 3:19:51 PM3/28/03
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:15:17 -0800, "Dave & Marcia"
<da...@pioneer-net.com> wrote:

>I have a mattress that is uncomfortable (too hard).

Replace the mattress with a slab of foam. You can order any size,
thickness, and density from a foam wholesaler or many fabric shops.
Cost is under $100 for most types of foam. I like #1233 white foam;
other people (heavier folks) like the high density blue foam.

>Do the egg crate foam pads really help?

Forget these. If you get the correct foam mattress, you won't need a
pad. But if you really want a pad, get latex. The only advantage of an
egg crate design is a weight savings -- a non-issue in beds.

>Do they break down or loose their cushion over time?

They say they do, but I've had one that is 15 years old. It depends
how heavy you are, how often you rotate it, the quality of the foam,
its density, how much you move around, and your sex practices.

Only kidding on that last item ;-).

Caveat

cozy

Mar 28, 2003, 10:42:49 PM3/28/03
I bought new mattresses that were NOT firm and found I still could not lay
on them due to my fibromyalgia pain (point of contact/pressure points).
I bought a 3" blue foam which was helpful but it tended to give like a
hammock and it wasn't right yet. I bought a cheapo eggcrate at Walmart
and put that on top the foam and now my bed is heavenly to lay down in. It
somehow made the give more to each part of my body. I wouldn't part with
the combination of the 2.

--

Caveat <cav...@donotbother.com> wrote in message

cowboy

Mar 29, 2003, 8:28:44 AM3/29/03
"Dave & Marcia" <da...@pioneer-net.com> wrote in message news:<3e834...@corp.newsgroups.com>...

If that doesn't work try a Therm-a-Rest camping air mattress on top of the bed.
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest/

Caveat

Mar 29, 2003, 1:05:54 PM3/29/03
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:42:49 GMT, "cozy" <co...@prodigy.netscape>
wrote:

>I bought new mattresses that were NOT firm and found I still could not lay
>on them due to my fibromyalgia pain (point of contact/pressure points).
>I bought a 3" blue foam which was helpful but it tended to give like a
>hammock and it wasn't right yet. I bought a cheapo eggcrate at Walmart
>and put that on top the foam and now my bed is heavenly to lay down in. It
>somehow made the give more to each part of my body. I wouldn't part with
>the combination of the 2.

Whatever works for someone is, of course, the correct answer. But 3"
of foam isn't enough to get the effect of foam. We use 8"-- which just
happens to be the thickness of a regular mattress (nice for fitted
sheets, mattress covers, etc).

If you get a hammock effect, then something else is wrong -- probably
the innerspring support for the foam pad in cases where the foam takes
the place of the mattress. A thick foam mattress on a good, flat
support base (including the floor,BTW) will not bow.

I have used egg crate pads for backpacking for many years. Whether you
put the irregular surface up or down makes a difference in how it
feels. But, overall, it offers much less padding than a comparable pad
of the same thickness (the air spaces collapse in the egg crate design
and just yield a thinner pad).

Foam mattresses (cut to a bed size and thickness) come in more than a
dozen types and densities. A good retailer will have little 2 ft
squares of samples for you to play with. The denser types are firmer,
cost more, but last longer. The less dense types are more comfortable,
but develop indentations (hips, shoulders). But some consider that a
good thing because they conform better to your body.

It takes a lot of experimenting to come up with the right system
(i.e., one that is comfortable for you). But it sure is worth the time
and effort. And considering the low cost, little to lose.

Happy slumber,

Caveat

silvasurfa

Mar 30, 2003, 10:36:34 AM3/30/03

"mj" <mja...@cox.net> wrote in message news:3E83ADB2...@cox.net...

Hmm. Might be a good idea to top them with a light woollen blanket from the
thrift shop, to reduce risks. Ciggies are not the only fire risk in a
bedroom.

Smoking in a bedroom is always a bad idea. Actually, smoking is always a bad
idea.

JazzMan

Mar 30, 2003, 11:06:45 AM3/30/03
silvasurfa wrote:

<snip>

> Smoking in a bedroom is always a bad idea. Actually, smoking is always a bad
> idea.

You never know; I bet there are people out there who
enjoy spending thousands every year to give themselves
debilitating diseases, and who are actually looking
forward to being eaten alive by lung cancer or to
experiencing the long suffocation known as emphysema.

JazzMan
--
***************************************
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.

Caveat

Mar 30, 2003, 1:10:08 PM3/30/03
On 29 Mar 2003 05:28:44 -0800, cow...@backpacker.com (cowboy) wrote:

>If that doesn't work try a Therm-a-Rest camping air mattress on top of the bed.
>http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest/

Therm-a-Rest mattresses are wonderful things and we have used them
since they were invented (back about 1972 as I recall). But these are
designed for camping/backpacking use and not the best choice for a
home bed, IMO. Among other things, the cost of a single Camp Rest
($85) is more than the cost of a slab of foam for a single bed. Plus
they tend to be smallish, noisy and slippery (unless coated) and can
spring leaks at the most inopportune times.

Therm-a-Rests are basically thin air mattresses with a layer of
open-cell foam inside that makes them self-inflating and keeps the air
from freely circulating inside the pad. This is important when
sleeping on the cold ground because heat from the body is quickly
circulated to the ground without such an internal insulating layer.
Note: That must be why they call them THERM-a-rests ;-).

We own two Camp Rests for tent camping, and two Therm-a-Rest 3/4
length pads for backpacking when used inside a tent. For sleeping
directly on the ground (with no tent) we have egg crate backpacking
pads (2" open cell foam bonded to a thin closed cell waterproof layer)
because we live in thorny country and hate leaks. For truck camping
(inside the bed) we sleep on a 5" slab of foam cut to fit the bed. At
home we use an 8" slab of foam over the inner spring base.

Each of the above products has advantages an disadvantages, and are
superb for specific uses. In our experience, the best home bed system
is thick open cell foam cut to fit, and used in place of (not on top
of) a mattress. An added 1" layer of lighter foam (soft egg crate foam
or latex) can be used for top padding, if needed.

Just our experience on the subject, FWIW ...

Caveat

Nancy

Mar 30, 2003, 6:10:08 PM3/30/03
"Caveat" <cav...@donotbother.com> wrote in message >
> In our experience, the best home bed system
> is thick open cell foam cut to fit, and used in place of (not on top
> of) a mattress. An added 1" layer of lighter foam (soft egg crate foam
> or latex) can be used for top padding, if needed.
>
> Just our experience on the subject, FWIW ...

Where would one find such a piece of foam. The internet sites I have
checked are quite expensive.

Nancy

cozy

Mar 30, 2003, 7:44:03 PM3/30/03
I had ordered mine out of Sears catalogue, but I don't know if they even
have a catalogue anymore. They do last for a very long time, I've had mine
since about 1992.

--

Nancy <nan...@ntin.net> wrote in message

Caveat

Mar 30, 2003, 10:01:58 PM3/30/03
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:10:08 -0600, "Nancy" <nan...@ntin.net> wrote:

>"Caveat" <cav...@donotbother.com> wrote in message >
>> In our experience, the best home bed system
>> is thick open cell foam cut to fit, and used in place of (not on top
>> of) a mattress. An added 1" layer of lighter foam (soft egg crate foam
>> or latex) can be used for top padding, if needed.

>Where would one find such a piece of foam. The internet sites I have
>checked are quite expensive.

The large foam slabs can be ordered from bulk fabric shops (who then
order custom-cut pieces from their foam wholesaler). Some carry the
standard sizes in stock, however. We have several sources in the metro
Phoenix area, and most cities of any size should have one. You could
also try furniture restoration companies (as in sofa rebuilding) for
leads, or re-upholstering shops. Check the different densities.

The thin top pads are available in department stores (Cozy mentioned
Wal-Mart) or by mail order. The egg crate models are inexpensive, but
the latex pads most definitely are not. Low-end bed stores might be
another good source.

High-end bed stores sell pricey finished "toppers" filled with down,
foam, wool, an who-knows what. These really a waste of money, IMO. Bed
stores also sell "finished" foam pad mattresses. But the sewn-on
covers create a surface tension that interferes with the foam
cushioning characteristics.

Unless you have a particular medical condition that requires multiple
layers, though, it's easiest, cheapest, and best to use the solid foam
covered only with a cotton mattress pad. The more stuff you add to the
bed, the less predictable the results will be. If you buy the wrong
stuff and need additional padding, you can always add a top pad later.

Caveat

cozy

Mar 30, 2003, 10:12:13 PM3/30/03
That's true. We have one bed with a luxury pillow top, but once the
mattress pad and sheets are on it, I can't feel the comfort. I keep a
mattress pad on my mattress, but just a top sheet on the foam layers that
are on top the mattress. This allows them to cradle me without it being
lost under paddings.

--

Caveat <cav...@donotbother.com> wrote in message

Seanette Blaylock

Apr 3, 2003, 1:11:48 PM4/3/03
"Dave & Marcia" <da...@pioneer-net.com> had some very interesting
things to say about egg crate foam pad really help:

>I have a mattress that is uncomfortable (too hard). Do the egg crate foam
>pads really help? Do they break down or loose their cushion over time?

They do tend to squish eventually, but I still find them VERY helpful.

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL