Would you tip this person?

NB

Jun 19, 2008, 10:41:26 AM6/19/08
I took my car in to the dealer for maintenance. They have a free
shuttle that will take you anywhere (like to your job), and then pick
you up when they are done with the maintenance. Should the driver be
tipped? If so, how much?

Joe Negron

Jun 19, 2008, 10:52:40 AM6/19/08

If it were me and I felt the driver went above and beyond what his/her
duties entailed, I would consider a tip. If I happened to know the
driver were well paid, I probably wouldn't.

In America the President reigns for four years, and Journalism governs
for ever and ever.
--Oscar Wilde

War is good for business - invest your son.
--antiwar bumper sticker from the 1960s
Joe Negron from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NY, USA

Bill

Jun 19, 2008, 11:20:59 AM6/19/08
If you have extra money to give away to people, then tip away!

Or if you are going to be seeing this person again in the future, then it
might be to your advantage to give some sort of tip. Then you will be
assured good service in the future.

If you are never going to see this person again and don't have extra money
to be giving away to people, then no tip.

If you don't have any money to spare (like due to the high cost of your
repair) and the person has been extra friendly or helpful, then instead of a
tip, get his/her name and tell his boss what a good job he/she is doing.

James

Jun 19, 2008, 11:33:58 AM6/19/08

I often take airport shuttles to budget car parks. I often wondered if
I should tip. Judging from others actions, people don't generally.
However I have made an exception when they get out of their seat and
help me with my bags. A couple of bucks would be sufficient for a
couple fo bags.

James

George Grapman

Jun 19, 2008, 12:45:25 PM6/19/08
On my last trip I parked at a lot near the airport. The shuttle
driver took my stuff on and off the van so a tip was appropriate.
Speaking if tips, I once drove a taxi in New York and there was a
network of information passed along between those who dealt with bad
tippers. Examples:

Passenger gives bad tip or no tip to skycap who tells driver.
If passengers are not headed to a hotel the driver,upon
arriving,simply opens the trunk and does not handle the bags. At the
time the law said a driver could not charge extra for luggage but was
under no obligation to handle it.
If they go to a hotel the people at the hotel will take the luggage.
Driver tells them they are bad tippers. Guests wonder why room service
is so slow.

Peter Bruells

Jun 19, 2008, 2:03:02 PM6/19/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> writes:

> If they go to a hotel the people at the hotel will take the
> luggage. Driver tells them they are bad tippers. Guests wonder why
> room service is so slow.

Because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy?

George Grapman

Jun 19, 2008, 2:35:40 PM6/19/08

What happened was the doorman and the bellhops let word get out that
the people in 1528 are bad tippers. In the morning room service id
backed up with orders. Guess which room goes on the bottom of the list.
All I ever did was refuse to handle their luggage. There were drivers
who,knowing their fares would not tip, took the scenic route to the airport.

Peter Bruells

Jun 19, 2008, 2:49:50 PM6/19/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> writes:

> Peter Bruells wrote:
>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> writes:
>>
>>> If they go to a hotel the people at the hotel will take the
>>> luggage. Driver tells them they are bad tippers. Guests wonder why
>>> room service is so slow.
>>
>> Because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy?
>

> What happened was the doorman and the bellhops let word get out
> that the people in 1528 are bad tippers. In the morning room service
> id backed up with orders. Guess which room goes on the bottom of the
> list.

Those *believed* to be bad tippers.

> All I ever did was refuse to handle their luggage. There were

> drivers who, knowing their fares would not tip, took the scenic route
> to the airport.

Now, how much trust do you put into the words of such fraudulent
cheats?

Jun 19, 2008, 3:05:01 PM6/19/08

"James" <jl...@idirect.com> wrote in message

>I often take airport shuttles to budget car parks. I often wondered if
>I should tip. Judging from others actions, people don't generally.
>However I have made an exception when they get out of their seat and
>help me with my bags. A couple of bucks would be sufficient for a
>couple fo bags.

I generally tip $1 per bag, but only if the guy loads and unloads the bags.

Seerialmom

Jun 19, 2008, 3:00:25 PM6/19/08

I never have...and I didn't see anyone else do it, either. I suppose
where I work we figure he's getting a union paycheck so why would we?
From what I can tell it's just one of the service advisers, they
rotate the van driving.

George Grapman

Jun 19, 2008, 4:23:09 PM6/19/08
Peter Bruells wrote:
> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> writes:
>
>> Peter Bruells wrote:

>>> Because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy?
>>
>> What happened was the doorman and the bellhops let word get out
>> that the people in 1528 are bad tippers. In the morning room service
>> id backed up with orders. Guess which room goes on the bottom of the
>> list.
>
> Those *believed* to be bad tippers.

When a skycap or a doorman loaded luggage into my cab and told me the
customers were cheap I had no reason not to believe them.

>> All I ever did was refuse to handle their luggage. There were
>> drivers who, knowing their fares would not tip, took the scenic route
>> to the airport.
>
> Now, how much trust do you put into the words of such fraudulent
> cheats?

Enough to know that there used to be a free weekly marketed to cab
drivers which carried reports of disciplinary actions taken against
drivers by the police bureau that regulated taxis. They would read
something like this:

William H.-License suspended three days for overcharging customer on
fare from JFK to mid-town. Complaint noted that driver too the Belt Parkway.

George Grapman

Jun 19, 2008, 4:24:58 PM6/19/08
In that case I would agree. The driver is already getting a decent
salary.

larry

Jun 19, 2008, 7:03:57 PM6/19/08

The last dealer(subaru) shuttle that dropped us off at work
was driven by one of the salesmen. We offered, he said it
was a courtesy, hoping we might keep them in mind for
maintenance and next car. The return trip driver that
afternoon was a shop helper, he too declined. He also
thanked us for having our car repaired at ~his~ shop as we
left the van.

We use supershuttle, and do tip 5 to 15%, amount depending
on punctuality. Was real heartburn, until we started
scheduling for the flight that left 1/2 hour before ours ;-)

-- larry/dallas

James

Jun 19, 2008, 7:27:10 PM6/19/08

Depends on the dealership. I've been to hundreds of dealerships as
aprt of my job, never seen a union one.

First off not many are union. Some hire someone to be the driver -
usually look for retired people pay them lower.

Sometimes its the parts runner - the guy who picks up parts.

Sometimes its the service advisor.

James

George Grapman

Jun 19, 2008, 8:07:58 PM6/19/08
Same thing here. I always tell them 60 minutes earlier than the
actual time. Even when someone is driving me to an airport I like to be
there early. My idea of a goos start is clearing security 60 minutes
before departure.

George Grapman

Jun 19, 2008, 8:14:02 PM6/19/08

I do not know where you are but in the Bay Area a lot of dealerships
are union. I used to sell advertising for a union paper and in order to
sell a car dealer the service department had to be union but not the
sales reps.
It was interesting selling them and putting the shoe on the other
foot. This biggest problem was getting the check. The sales manager or
the GM would have me convinced that they were the final authority but
when I would write up an invoice or call them and ask who I should ask
for when I came by to get the ad copy and the check it often turned out
they had to kick it upstairs. On the other hand once I sold them they
usually became repeat advertisers.

Peter Bruells

Jun 20, 2008, 10:15:23 AM6/20/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> writes:

> Peter Bruells wrote:
>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> writes:

>>> What happened was the doorman and the bellhops let word get out
>>> that the people in 1528 are bad tippers. In the morning room service
>>> id backed up with orders. Guess which room goes on the bottom of the
>>> list.
>>
>> Those *believed* to be bad tippers.
>
> When a skycap or a doorman loaded luggage into my cab and told me
> the customers were cheap I had no reason not to believe them.

Person you know and whose judgement you know can trust,
yes. Otherwise, no. Not tipping can be justified. I've had downright
grumpy drivers and bellboy who told racist jokes - damn sure I don't
tip them, regardless of what they might tell their colleagues.

>> Now, how much trust do you put into the words of such fraudulent
>> cheats?
>
> Enough to know that there used to be a free weekly marketed to cab
> drivers which carried reports of disciplinary actions taken against
> drivers by the police bureau that regulated taxis. They would read
> something like this:
>
> William H.-License suspended three days for overcharging customer
> on fare from JFK to mid-town. Complaint noted that driver too the Belt
> Parkway.

Ah yes, and when William H. tells you, that customer X is a bad
tipper, you believe him?

Seerialmom

Jun 20, 2008, 8:35:51 PM6/20/08

Aren't the service advisers of the big dealerships (not talking about
Joe Schmo's Used Car Corral) union like the mechanics? Maybe not.
But I have known service advisers for major dealerships and the pay
wasn't low. I suppose if I knew for a fact it was a "retiree" doing
this part time to supplement his SS check..I might think more about
tipping the driver.

JonL

Jun 21, 2008, 4:01:00 AM6/21/08

No, cuz they're not driving for a living.

val189

Jun 21, 2008, 11:03:21 AM6/21/08

Offer a tip - it won't put you in the poorhouse and it just might
brighten someone's day.

James

Jun 21, 2008, 11:41:05 AM6/21/08

Maybe its different in the US, but in Canada, I've never seen or heard
of any union shops ever, including mechanics. It is much harder to
organize a union in a small business. Now mechanics generally get paid
under a specific guide for licensed mechanics that says the customer
is charged and the mechanic paid not on actual hours, but based on the
standards set in certain labour time guides. Quebec doesn't allow
this, and they pay per hour actual. The Quebec way helps the new
mehcanics and the slow mechanics but penalizes the experienced fast
mechanics.

A good service advisor can make decent pay, but they usually don't get
that role straight out of college, even if they took a diploma in
automotive.

The retirees I've seen are in situations where they have a dedicated
customer shuttle - so they do enough service business not to lose a
valuable advisor for 20 minutes at a time. They often use the same
person as a parts runner - if they don't have stock of a part and
can't wait a day, they wil buy it off their competition. They will
send the shuttle driver to pick up the part. The same shuttle driver
might also move cars around the lot, drive a car to another dealer
(dealers trade used vehicles between each other).

I wouldn't tip the service advisor, he is shuttling you so he can
impress you with the companies service, not for tips. And he gets
bonuses based on the profitability of the service department, so it
pays him indirectly to make you happy and keep you coming back. The
same thing goes with dealers who offer free or cheap oil changes -
they want to build some loyalty so that if and when you do have an
issue you won't go anywhere else.

The key to a profitable dealership is in the service department. Good
dealers know that and focus on that, and use the new cars sales to
bring customers into service.

James

The Real Bev Far From Home

Jun 24, 2008, 5:22:00 PM6/24/08

People who order room service should have no problem with undertipping.

Personally, I don't think anybody should be tipped except for people who
are obviously underpaid in the supported-by-the-IRS expectation that
they WILL be tipped.

Anybody who carries bags from here to there clearly doesn't deserve more
than minimum wage. Why should he be tipped more?

That being said, I carry my own bags and don't stay in hotels.

If you tip a taxi driver, why not an airline pilot?

"Get me there on time, Flyboy, and there's a fiver in it for you."

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 24, 2008, 6:57:10 PM6/24/08
The Real Bev Far From Home wrote:

> Personally, I don't think anybody should be tipped except for people who
> are obviously underpaid in the supported-by-the-IRS expectation that
> they WILL be tipped.

I tend to agree.