Which inexpensive top loader washer to buy?

m...@privacy.net

Jul 22, 2008, 10:26:05 AM7/22/08
Cost is an issue but need a new washer.

What brand/model cheapish top loader would you guys
advise that is a decent performer and a good "value"?

Goomba

Jul 22, 2008, 10:32:01 AM7/22/08

Go to the library, or subscribe to the online version, and read
Consumer's Reports.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 22, 2008, 11:52:23 AM7/22/08

None of them are cheap.

If you want a cheapish washing machine that is a good value, first,
forget the top-loaders because they all are expensive and second, look
on Craigslist or in the local newspaper classifieds for someone with
year-old model REGULAR washing machines that they are getting rid of
because they are remodeling *rolling eyes*, and you should get a good
deal.

Goomba

Jul 22, 2008, 12:06:58 PM7/22/08
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

> If you want a cheapish washing machine that is a good value, first,
> forget the top-loaders because they all are expensive and second, look
> on Craigslist or in the local newspaper classifieds for someone with
> year-old model REGULAR washing machines that they are getting rid of
> because they are remodeling *rolling eyes*, and you should get a good deal.

pssssst... a top loading washer *is* a "REGULAR" washing machine.
Perhaps you're thinking of a front loader? Which are also "REGULAR"
washers in much of the world, and becoming so in the US also. Love the
way they use less water and energy.
For what its worth-I love my Duet front loader.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 22, 2008, 1:28:13 PM7/22/08
Goomba wrote:

> pssssst... a top loading washer *is* a "REGULAR" washing machine.
> Perhaps you're thinking of a front loader? Which are also "REGULAR"
> washers in much of the world, and becoming so in the US also. Love the
> way they use less water and energy.

Hello, BDRU! (brain dead 'R' us) I am having an insane morning at work.

My mom had front-loaders with slanted fronts when I was little. I
remember watching the clothes and the soapsuds going around all the
time. But they are MUCH more expensive than the standard washing
machine that has been sold in the US for ages. So "cheapish" is
something I would really worry about, since many of the newer models
still had bugs that hadn't been worked out.

Seerialmom

Jul 22, 2008, 1:43:49 PM7/22/08

I'm finally glad I have a front loader now that the water meters have
been installed on my street. Before this I wasn't seeing all that
much of a difference because I rarely used hot water to wash, so it
didn't help on the electric bill. But the water bill should stay
relatively low.

Seerialmom

Jul 22, 2008, 1:45:29 PM7/22/08
On Jul 22, 10:28 am, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

There are some front loaders that aren't as ridiculously priced.
Granted the capacity is a bit smaller but not that much. It would
depend on cost to run whether to get one or not (water heating, water
usage).

Goomba

Jul 22, 2008, 1:55:14 PM7/22/08
Seerialmom wrote:

> There are some front loaders that aren't as ridiculously priced.
> Granted the capacity is a bit smaller but not that much. It would
> depend on cost to run whether to get one or not (water heating, water
> usage).

Actually, the biggest draw for many is how MUCH clothing can be packed
into some of these newer front loaders. Since the clothes themselves
provide the momentum and don't require a lot of space for agitation and
water.
I could kick myself for not getting one of these years ago when they
first came out and I had more kids laundry to do. I also love being able
to wash my large duvets, etc..

Message has been deleted

Dennis

Jul 22, 2008, 4:05:10 PM7/22/08

Plus, many energy efficient front-load models are eligible for rebates
and tax credits (your location may vary). After the retailer
discount, utility incentive rebate and state tax credit, our front
loader cost us less than US$300.

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin

Dennis

Jul 22, 2008, 4:08:01 PM7/22/08
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:43:49 -0700 (PDT), Seerialmom
<seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm finally glad I have a front loader now that the water meters have
>been installed on my street. Before this I wasn't seeing all that
>much of a difference because I rarely used hot water to wash, so it
>didn't help on the electric bill. But the water bill should stay
>relatively low.

If you use clothes dryer (ours is electric), you may see utility bills
drop with a front-loader because it spins more water out of the
clothes = shorter drying time.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

Cheapo Groovo

Jul 22, 2008, 5:07:09 PM7/22/08
The James Washer is really good and sustainable!

http://tiny.cc/vosKi

See http://www.cheapogroovo.com for more tips

In article <48860239$0$17217$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
sam...@TRASHsonic.net says...

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 22, 2008, 5:09:48 PM7/22/08
Seerialmom wrote:

> There are some front loaders that aren't as ridiculously priced.
> Granted the capacity is a bit smaller but not that much. It would
> depend on cost to run whether to get one or not (water heating, water
> usage).

Seriously? Would you know the brand names? I would truly, sincerely
like to know.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 22, 2008, 5:10:49 PM7/22/08
lis...@privacy.net wrote:
> In most of Europe they use front loaders and top loaders are considered archaic
> and deficient.

And until the last few years, I have considered front loaders to be
archaic and the top loaders to be the best. Funny, huh?

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 22, 2008, 5:11:14 PM7/22/08
Cheapo Groovo wrote:
> The James Washer is really good and sustainable!
>
> http://tiny.cc/vosKi

YEAH!!!!! I really want one of those. And they are a top-loader, too.

Goomba

Jul 22, 2008, 5:27:45 PM7/22/08
lis...@privacy.net wrote:
> In most of Europe they use front loaders and top loaders are considered archaic
> and deficient.

We liked the front loader washers in Europe that turn into dryers. Talk
about feeling like a jet engine is taking off!! LOL They were smaller
in load capacity but for small homes and families they were ideal solutions.

Seerialmom

Jul 22, 2008, 6:02:46 PM7/22/08
On Jul 22, 1:08 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:43:49 -0700 (PDT), Seerialmom

That's what they say, but one thing I noticed was that because you can
fit more clothes in the wash, it took longer to dry. I suppose if I
washed the same average sized load I used to that might be true. Even
better would be to semi-dry the clothes (I can briefly hang mine in
the very warm garage) before using the dryer on them to finish drying
and clear wrinkles.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Jul 22, 2008, 6:51:56 PM7/22/08
lis...@privacy.net wrote:

> In most of Europe they use front loaders

Pig ignorant lie.

> and top loaders are considered archaic and deficient.

Another pig ignorant lie.

And who cares what those in europe use anyway ?

Dennis

Jul 22, 2008, 7:42:31 PM7/22/08

Well, even if it takes longer to dry "a load", if you are drying more
clothes it still may be saving you money on the utility bills if the
energy use per item/lb/unit is lower. Or maybe not, particularly if
you are using timed drying and continue running the dryer longer than
it needs.

We got a new dryer with a moisture sensor at the same time we got the
front-load washer, so it is hard to say which caused the drop in the
electric bill. Probably a combination of both.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

Gary Heston

Jul 22, 2008, 11:35:05 PM7/22/08
In article <kfrb84tl2o7v6j3lt...@4ax.com>,

I had to replace a washer a few years ago; I bought the
second lowest end model Whirlpool that Lowes had. (The
lowest end did not have a bleach dispenser.)

Looks like you have to go to third from lowest to get
the bleach dispenser, now:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=161966-46-WTW5540ST&lpage=none

I've had good luck with mine so far.

For things like towels, I re-run the spin cycle to get a
bit more water out.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Why is it that these days, the words "What idiot" are so frequently
followed by the words "at Microsoft"?