Recycling cell phone(s)?

digge...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2008, 3:37:34 PM3/23/08
I have a cell phone from Verizon that I no longer use since I
purchased a newer model. If I gave it to a friend, would he be able
to use it as long as he has a Verizon cellular account?

Thanks!
digger

The Real Bev

Mar 23, 2008, 4:12:51 PM3/23/08
digge...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes. You probably have to release its...um...magic number. Call
Verizon and ask what you need to do.

--
Cheers,
Bev

digge...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2008, 5:06:24 PM3/23/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> digge...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I have a cell phone from Verizon that I no longer use since I
> > purchased a newer model. If I gave it to a friend, would he be able
> > to use it as long as he has a Verizon cellular account?
>
> Yes. You probably have to release its...um...magic number. Call
> Verizon and ask what you need to do.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev

Thanks. When I relayed your answer, he informed me that he was only
interested in using the iPod feature -- not the actual cellular phone
itself. This particular phone (LG8500) can be used both ways.

Thanks.
Digger

George Grapman

Mar 23, 2008, 8:41:43 PM3/23/08

Some groups accept old phones that they give to victims of things
like spousal abuse and stalking so they can call 911.

The Real Bev

Mar 23, 2008, 11:14:52 PM3/23/08
George Grapman wrote:

> digge...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I have a cell phone from Verizon that I no longer use since I
>> purchased a newer model. If I gave it to a friend, would he be able
>> to use it as long as he has a Verizon cellular account?
>

> Some groups accept old phones that they give to victims of things
> like spousal abuse and stalking so they can call 911.

I've often wondered how the victims manage to keep the phones charged
secretly.

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Mar 23, 2008, 11:46:37 PM3/23/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:
>
>> digge...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I have a cell phone from Verizon that I no longer use since I
>>> purchased a newer model. If I gave it to a friend, would he be able
>>> to use it as long as he has a Verizon cellular account?
>>
>> Some groups accept old phones that they give to victims of things
>> like spousal abuse and stalking so they can call 911.
>
> I've often wondered how the victims manage to keep the phones charged
> secretly.

I think generally the recipients are people who are not living with
their tormentors.
They are used if the threatener comes to their house or encounters them
on the street.