Use flat bed sheets only?

m...@privacy.net

Oct 17, 2007, 3:16:53 PM10/17/07
Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted bed sheets
and instead uses two flat sheets?

Also.... can a person use a queen size flat sheet on a
FULL bed as the bottom sheet so that it will have more
material to tuck under the mattress?

I HATE trying to fold and store fitted sheets and
thinking abt going back to all flat sheets.... but I
have a full bed only.... no queen or king.

Melissa

Oct 17, 2007, 5:12:05 PM10/17/07

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Folding fitted sheets is no big deal. It's way easier than having to retuck
a flat sheet in on a mattress all the time.

Just fold the fitted sheet, tuck the corners into each other, fold again so
all 4 corners end up tucked inside of one. Flatten it out, finish folding,
and you're good to go.

Melissa

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2007, 4:32:02 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted
> bed sheets and instead uses two flat sheets?

Yeah, I do, I gave up on fitted bottoms sheets because
I couldnt find any that stay fitted to the mattress properly.

> Also.... can a person use a queen size flat sheet
> on a FULL bed as the bottom sheet so that it will
> have more material to tuck under the mattress?

Yep, thats what I do, buy oversized for that reason.

> I HATE trying to fold and store fitted sheets

I dont care about that aspect.

> and thinking abt going back to all flat sheets....
> but I have a full bed only.... no queen or king.

A queen or king flat sheet will work fine, just not
quite as convenient to fit as a fitted sheet, but
you dont have the problem with it coming off either.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 17, 2007, 5:36:47 PM10/17/07
>> Also.... can a person use a queen size flat sheet
>> on a FULL bed as the bottom sheet so that it will
>> have more material to tuck under the mattress?
>
>Yep, thats what I do, buy oversized for that reason.

OK but do you use say a queen sheet (oversized) on
bottom ONLY? Sill use a regular size full sheet for the
top?

Oh by the way....wonder if something like this would
secure flat sheets on mattress?

http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Straps-Set-of-4/dp/B000BFWFJ8

m...@privacy.net

Oct 17, 2007, 5:38:12 PM10/17/07
>> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted
>> bed sheets and instead uses two flat sheets?
>
>Yeah, I do, I gave up on fitted bottoms sheets because
>I couldnt find any that stay fitted to the mattress properly.

Off topic...... but what thread count and brand and
material sheets does everyone like?

I'm thinking of going high end...say 500 thread count.
Waste of money?

Also what abt sheets with a bit of polyester in them as
well as cotton? They last longer and wear better than
ALL cotton sheets?

Don K

Oct 17, 2007, 5:45:31 PM10/17/07
"Melissa" <nos...@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I HATE trying to fold and store fitted sheets and
>> thinking abt going back to all flat sheets.... but I
>> have a full bed only.... no queen or king.
>
> Folding fitted sheets is no big deal. It's way easier than having to retuck
> a flat sheet in on a mattress all the time.
>
> Just fold the fitted sheet, tuck the corners into each other, fold again so
> all 4 corners end up tucked inside of one. Flatten it out, finish folding,
> and you're good to go.

I don't fold sheets by placing them down on anything, I fold in free-space.
I grab two corners in one hand, stretch out the other hand to locate the
mid-point, then use my chin to make the 2nd fold into quarters.

Fitted sheets fold lumpy. The key to a stress-free life is to not be a
perfectionist and just accept that's just the way things are.

Don

Don K

Oct 17, 2007, 5:52:49 PM10/17/07
<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:p30dh3tr1d12d9v6l...@4ax.com...

> Off topic...... but what thread count and brand and
> material sheets does everyone like?
>
> I'm thinking of going high end...say 500 thread count.
> Waste of money?
>
> Also what abt sheets with a bit of polyester in them as
> well as cotton? They last longer and wear better than
> ALL cotton sheets?

I like flannel sheets.
I don't like sheets that feel cold when you first get into bed.

Don

m...@privacy.net

Oct 17, 2007, 5:56:31 PM10/17/07

Ok but what you use for the summer?

Don K

Oct 17, 2007, 6:31:12 PM10/17/07
<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:681dh3dhfo66s2h6p...@4ax.com...

> ><m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:p30dh3tr1d12d9v6l...@4ax.com...

>>I like flannel sheets.

>>I don't like sheets that feel cold when you first get into bed.
>>

> Ok but what you use for the summer?

Same thing.
The interior of my house doesn't get all that hot in summer.

nr

Oct 17, 2007, 6:34:35 PM10/17/07
> Oh by the way....wonder if something like this would
> secure flat sheets on mattress?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Straps-Set-of-4/dp/B000BFWFJ8

I've been using similar straps for years. Very handy.

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2007, 7:24:04 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Also.... can a person use a queen size flat sheet
>>> on a FULL bed as the bottom sheet so that it will
>>> have more material to tuck under the mattress?

>> Yep, thats what I do, buy oversized for that reason.

> OK but do you use say a queen sheet (oversized) on bottom ONLY?

Nope.

> Sill use a regular size full sheet for the top?

Nope, the extra tuck in is useful for the top too.

> Oh by the way....wonder if something like
> this would secure flat sheets on mattress?

> http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Straps-Set-of-4/dp/B000BFWFJ8

It looks like they are intended for use on fitted sheets.

Not sure how well they would work on flat sheets, too much spare tucked
in sheet to be viable with those and no edge to apply them to either.

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2007, 7:26:34 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:
>>> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted
>>> bed sheets and instead uses two flat sheets?
>>
>> Yeah, I do, I gave up on fitted bottoms sheets because
>> I couldnt find any that stay fitted to the mattress properly.

> Off topic...... but what thread count and brand
> and material sheets does everyone like?

I havent worked out that out yet, just found that the
previous ones didnt last very long and that you can see
thru the current latest with the light behind them at night.

> I'm thinking of going high end...say 500 thread count.
> Waste of money?

I doubt it.

> Also what abt sheets with a bit of polyester in them as
> well as cotton? They last longer and wear better than
> ALL cotton sheets?

Yep, poly always does have that advantage.

Logan Shaw

Oct 17, 2007, 9:42:53 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted bed sheets
> and instead uses two flat sheets?

I was under the impression that fitted sheets are a relatively
recent invention (maybe 1950's?) that came about when elastic
became practical for the purpose. Before that, everyone would
have used only flat sheets.

I also vaguely recall hearing they may have used buttons or snaps
sewn onto the mattress in order to hold the sheets in place. I
could be wrong, but even if I am, I suppose it would work. Buttons
in particular should work well, because if you put the buttons on the
mattress itself, all you've got to do is put button holes in the
sheets (and you can use several different sheets with the same
bed without buying more buttons). You could use other types of
fasteners as well, maybe even laces (with which you could probably
get the sheets very taut, if you're into bouncing quarters).

On the other hand, learning to fold fitted sheets isn't that bad.
It's true it can be a pain during the 25-year learning curve, but
once you've got it mastered, it's easy.

Personally, I approach this problem by always making sure to put
the same sheets back on the same bad the same day as I took them
off. That way, I rarely have to fold sheets at all.

- Logan

Shawn Hirn

Oct 17, 2007, 10:37:36 PM10/17/07
In article <0tnch3horkok8853j...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
wrote:

> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted bed sheets
> and instead uses two flat sheets?
>
> Also.... can a person use a queen size flat sheet on a
> FULL bed as the bottom sheet so that it will have more
> material to tuck under the mattress?

Why not? Its your money so if you want to buy larger size linens then
your bed needs, then you should do just that.

> I HATE trying to fold and store fitted sheets and
> thinking abt going back to all flat sheets.... but I
> have a full bed only.... no queen or king.

I use both. Works for me.

Melissa

Oct 18, 2007, 9:20:14 AM10/18/07

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

I found great sheets on Overstock.com 800 count Sateen, only $50 for a
California King size set. After using them just one night, my husband told
me to toss the old sheets. They are soft, don't pill, and are by far the
best sheets we've ever had.

Melissa

Chloe

Oct 17, 2007, 5:56:18 PM10/17/07
<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Off topic...... but what thread count and brand and
> material sheets does everyone like?
>
> I'm thinking of going high end...say 500 thread count.
> Waste of money?
>
> Also what abt sheets with a bit of polyester in them as
> well as cotton? They last longer and wear better than
> ALL cotton sheets?

It's not really off topic. I find the poly blend ones to be rougher, more
prone to develop pilling, and generally wear out quicker. Better to hunt
down long-fiber cotton sheets at off price stores, and don't worry about
matching sets, than to spend the money on the blends.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Oct 18, 2007, 9:12:14 AM10/18/07
Logan Shaw wrote:
> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted bed sheets
>> and instead uses two flat sheets?
>
> I was under the impression that fitted sheets are a relatively
> recent invention (maybe 1950's?) that came about when elastic
> became practical for the purpose. Before that, everyone would
> have used only flat sheets.

Well, I can remember when flat sheets were the only option, which I
guess makes me old. :-) (And they were percale, and my mother ironed them!)

Flat sheets were larger then, because you needed to be able to tuck them
in on all four sides. I'm pretty sure that today's flat sheets are
designed only as top sheets, so are probably too short to tuck in. Go
with a larger size.

The additional wrinkle on all this is that mattresses are now a lot
thicker as well. (When we bought my parents a new mattress/boxspring
set, my mother then needed a step-stool to get into bed!) So even
regular fitted sheets may be too small for some mattresses. Arrggh!

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
He who knows only his own side of the case

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 12:54:21 PM10/18/07
>> OK but do you use say a queen sheet (oversized) on bottom ONLY?
>
>Nope.
>
>> Sill use a regular size full sheet for the top?
>
>Nope, the extra tuck in is useful for the top too.

Ahh...so Rod you use Queen sheets for BOTH top and
bottom even on full size mattress. yes?

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 12:55:47 PM10/18/07
>I found great sheets on Overstock.com 800 count Sateen, only $50 for a
>California King size set. After using them just one night, my husband told
>me to toss the old sheets. They are soft, don't pill, and are by far the
>best sheets we've ever had.

Thanks will check em out!

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 12:57:11 PM10/18/07
>The additional wrinkle on all this is that mattresses are now a lot
>thicker as well. (When we bought my parents a new mattress/boxspring
>set, my mother then needed a step-stool to get into bed!) So even
>regular fitted sheets may be too small for some mattresses. Arrggh!

Sounds like my idea of getting two queen size sheets
for my full size bed makes sense then.

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2007, 3:12:45 PM10/18/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>> Nope.

Yep, so there is more to tuck in and so it stays tucked in much longer than the 'correct' size.

I have toyed with the idea of making my own fitted bottom sheet with a better mechanism
for staying on the matress, but havent gotten around to doing anything yet.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 3:20:15 PM10/18/07

OK..what abt the idea of just eliminating a top sheet
all together and using only a comforter over top of
you?

I've read abt others doing that. Means you only need
one sheet per bed. Some even put the comforter in a
removable cover that will protect it form body oils and
lets you remove and wash separately.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Oct 18, 2007, 4:02:49 PM10/18/07

Unfortunately, comforter covers seem to be outrageously expensive for
what you get. Frugally speaking, using a top sheet is much cheaper.

And one reason for buying top and bottom sheets the same size is that
it's a lot easier to make the bed if you don't have to figure out which
of two identical-looking sheets is the bottom one and which the top.

Chloe

Oct 18, 2007, 4:14:27 PM10/18/07

> >m...@privacy.net wrote:
>
> OK..what abt the idea of just eliminating a top sheet
> all together and using only a comforter over top of
> you?
>
> I've read abt others doing that. Means you only need
> one sheet per bed. Some even put the comforter in a
> removable cover that will protect it form body oils and
> lets you remove and wash separately.

You either end up washing the comforter frequently--a huge hassle--or having
to wrestle the thing back into its cover every time you need to launder the
bedding. I tried the duvet cover route and found it a lot more trouble than
just putting on a top sheet.

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2007, 4:26:17 PM10/18/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Ahh...so Rod you use Queen sheets for BOTH
>>> top and bottom even on full size mattress. yes?
>>
>> Yep, so there is more to tuck in and so it stays tucked in much
>> longer than the 'correct' size.
>>
>> I have toyed with the idea of making my own fitted bottom sheet with
>> a better mechanism
>> for staying on the matress, but havent gotten around to doing
>> anything yet.

> OK..what abt the idea of just eliminating a top sheet all
> together and using only a comforter over top of you?

I prefer to have more variability in the top cover with the weather.

> I've read abt others doing that. Means you only need
> one sheet per bed. Some even put the comforter in a
> removable cover that will protect it form body oils and
> lets you remove and wash separately.

Sure, that will certainly work mechanically, but IMO
doesnt allow enough variability with the weather.

And in the hottest weather I dont even use the top sheet,
and use the top sheet when its a little cooler than that.
And then add a blanket when its a bit cooler again etc.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 4:27:38 PM10/18/07
> I tried the duvet cover route and found it a lot more trouble than
>just putting on a top sheet.

Point taken

Thanks!

Greggie Gibson

Oct 18, 2007, 6:12:05 PM10/18/07
m...@privacy.net wrote in news:bccfh3tdpq2r579qm...@4ax.com:

> OK..what abt the idea of just eliminating a top sheet
> all together and using only a comforter over top of
> you?
>
> I've read abt others doing that. Means you only need
> one sheet per bed. Some even put the comforter in a
> removable cover that will protect it form body oils and
> lets you remove and wash separately.

I've just started doing that. Just purchased a micro-fiber blanket and use
it without a top sheet. Entirely different sensation than a smooth sheet.
I've really begun to enjoy it. And the blanket washes up easily enough not
to worry about body oils. When it gets cold I just through another blanket
on top just as I would do anyway.

pc

Oct 18, 2007, 7:28:17 PM10/18/07

When I lived in New England, I only used a fitted sheet and a comforter
on top. But now that I am in southern FL, I use a top sheet and a
lightweight quilt.

I sweat more down here. And I find that the sheet and quilt combo helps
me control the temp better.

If you live in an area that's cold, you wear PJs and you don't sweat
alot, then going without a top sheet is fine. Otherwise I'd suggest
using one..or else you will be washing your comforter often.

We washed our sheets weekly growing up [and ironed them]. I must admit
I am a bit more lax than that now. But, we only washed our bottom
sheets. Then we would use our top sheets on the bottom and put a new
sheet on the top.

..PC

lazybones

Oct 23, 2007, 8:55:09 PM10/23/07

You can sew two sheets together and make your own comforter cover.
Put buttons or velcro on the end. Many years ago when we stayed in
an Austrian Chalet in the alps I fell in love with the big poofy
comforters on the bed and they were covered in white sheets that were
changed like the bed sheets. Anyway. I found this group when I was
searching for flat sheet information. In 2004 we bought a pillow top
mattress that is just too deep. It's only an 18 inch mattress but
with the Euro top on it I need to buy 20 inch fitted sheets and they
are stretched to the max. On top of that DH wants his sheets washed
every second day (he really wants every day) and my sheets take a
beating.
I have decided to go the flat sheet route like I did years ago. I
have a queen bed but if I get king sheets they will hang off two feet
and that would be good for tucking but not for the top sheet. I
figured I could get king for the bottom and queen for the top or queen
for both and get those mattress garters to hold the bottom sheet on
the bed. If I got kings and queens I would magic marker the king
on the bottom so I would know which was which when making the bed.
We belong to Sams Club and they have institutional sheets that come 6
in a package for less than 50 dollars. They only come in white and
are 200 TC but they have some polyester in them for wear and
wrinkles. That's ok with me if they are soft and smooth. I think I
will try them and let you know.
Marie

> Unfortunately, comforter covers seem to be outrageously expensive for
> what you get. Frugally speaking, using a top sheet is much cheaper.
>

> And one reason for buying top and bottomsheetsthe same size is that

> it's a lot easier to make the bed if you don't have to figure out which

> of two identical-lookingsheetsis the bottom one and which the top.

> --
> Evelyn C. Leeper
> He who knows only his own side of the case

> knows little of that. -John Stuart Mill- Hide quoted text -

val189

Oct 24, 2007, 11:00:51 AM10/24/07
On Oct 17, 3:16 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted bed sheets
> and instead uses two flat sheets?

I'd sooner give up my dishwasher than my fitted bottom sheet.

> Also.... can a person use a queen size flat sheet on a
> FULL bed as the bottom sheet so that it will have more
> material to tuck under the mattress?

Why not? You can usually find these sold separately, esp. if on sale.

> I HATE trying to fold and store fitted sheets and
> thinking abt going back to all flat sheets.... but I
> have a full bed only.... no queen or king.

Stop folding them. When I strip the bed, I wash the sheet and an
hour later, it's back on the bed. Can't think of the last time I
folded a fitted bottom. I'm not hung up on owning a ton of sheets and
rotatin' 'em. I suppose Martha Stewart would purse her lips at this
admission........

By the way, it takes me one minute to make my bed.
>From bottom up: mattress pad, fitted bottom sheet, comforter. I
don't bother with top sheet, blanket(s) etc. It takes no time to
smooth and reposition that comforter. Prop the shams over the pillows
and that's it.

val189

Oct 24, 2007, 11:16:59 AM10/24/07
On Oct 17, 5:38 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> >> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted
> >> bed sheets and instead uses two flat sheets?
>
> >Yeah, I do, I gave up on fitted bottoms sheets because
> >I couldnt find any that stay fitted to the mattress properly.
>
> Off topic...... but what thread count and brand and
> material sheets does everyone like?
>
> I'm thinking of going high end...say 500 thread count.
> Waste of money?
>
> Also what abt sheets with a bit of polyester in them as
> well as cotton? They last longer and wear better than
> ALL cotton sheets?

Flannel is used in my house year round. Wears like iron, comfy in
winter, and not at all uncomfortable in summer (providing the a/c is
cranked on). Bought last set from QVC - (their Northern Nights brand)
chunky flannel, made in Portugal, I believe. Had a set from them
about 7 years ago and got constant use. Even the fitted bottom's
elastic held up well. Donated it to Goodwill when I changed color
scheme and merely wanted a different hue.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 24, 2007, 2:00:29 PM10/24/07
On Oct 23, 8:55 pm, lazybones <marie.zimmer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can sew two sheets together and make your own comforter cover.
> Put buttons or velcro on the end. Many years ago when we stayed in
> an Austrian Chalet in the alps I fell in love with the big poofy
> comforters on the bed and they were covered in white sheets that were
> changed like the bed sheets. Anyway. I found this group when I was
> searching for flat sheet information. In 2004 we bought a pillow top
> mattress that is just too deep. It's only an 18 inch mattress but
> with the Euro top on it I need to buy 20 inch fitted sheets and they
> are stretched to the max. On top of that DH wants his sheets washed
> every second day (he really wants every day) and my sheets take a
> beating.

So, does he wash his sheets every second day?

Cindy Hamilton

non...@privacy.net

Oct 24, 2007, 2:41:50 PM10/24/07
>We belong to Sams Club and they have institutional sheets that come 6
>in a package for less than 50 dollars. They only come in white and
>are 200 TC but they have some polyester in them for wear and
>wrinkles. That's ok with me if they are soft and smooth. I think I
>will try them and let you know.

Please do!

Boothbay

Oct 24, 2007, 3:44:28 PM10/24/07

Sheet straps are the answer, but certainly a task in attaching them.
First you have to lift the mattress on its side...they are clumsy and
heavy..fine if you have a partner to assist you, then you have to go
from corner to corner ( 4 ) to apply them, second if your a senior and
alone and in frail health, it should not even be attempted. Its easier
to fold a fitted sheet, than to use these straps, and save your back
from aching. Mine are in the bureau drawer untouched for a couple of
years since i tried them.

Rod Speed

Oct 24, 2007, 4:04:28 PM10/24/07

I'm surprised that someone hasnt come up with some sort of clamp type arrangement
to actually grip the flat sheet so you dont need to raise the mattress at all.

Bob Young

Oct 24, 2007, 3:52:59 PM10/24/07
You need to volunteer to work in a laundry room in some large
institution and you will find that there is a way to fold fitted sheets
and you can not tell the difference.
After you watch someone do it about 50 times you'll be good at it.

Rod Speed

Oct 24, 2007, 5:24:41 PM10/24/07
Bob Young <difdr...@webtv.net> wrote:

> You need to volunteer to work in a laundry room in some
> large institution and you will find that there is a way to
> fold fitted sheets and you can not tell the difference.

Wota dinosaury way of working that out.

> After you watch someone do it about 50 times you'll be good at it.

Even you should be able to work out how to video that so we dont all
need to jam up the laundry room watching the denizens for that long.

val189

Oct 24, 2007, 8:51:35 PM10/24/07
On Oct 17, 5:38 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> >> Curious if anyone here refuses to use fitted
> >> bed sheets and instead uses two flat sheets?
>
> >Yeah, I do, I gave up on fitted bottoms sheets because
> >I couldnt find any that stay fitted to the mattress properly.
>
> Off topic...... but what thread count and brand and
> material sheets does everyone like?
>
> I'm thinking of going high end...say 500 thread count.
> Waste of money?
>
> Also what abt sheets with a bit of polyester in them as
> well as cotton? They last longer and wear better than
> ALL cotton sheets?

TC of no importance.
Flannel on the bed year round.

lazybones

Oct 25, 2007, 11:48:36 PM10/25/07

On top of that DH wants his sheets washed
> > every second day (he really wants every day) and my sheets take a
> > beating.
>
> So, does he wash his sheets every second day?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL Cindy, Ya sure...I don't mind changing them and he usually helps
me but it's really hard on the sheets. With two pair, Instead of
washing them around 25 times a year each, I am washing them around 90
times a year. It's so stupid. I can't tell the difference in
sleeping on them when they are washed that often or once a week. He
loves the feel of clean sheets on the bed. I think after a week you
can feel the difference but not every day or every other day. This
is the main reason I am thinking of flat sheets. I told him that he
will definitely have to help with tucking them in tho. Our mattress
weighs too much for me to lift it to tuck in all around.
I did a search in Google to find a good mattress securer. I had the
elastic ones with garters on them and they work ok but I found these
really neat ones on the net. Tugs. Check them out. You have to
order them tho because they aren't in any stores.