Some TV Converter box coupon program questions

m...@privacy.net

Jan 28, 2008, 1:42:05 PM1/28/08
Some questions abt the coupons one can get for
converter boxes:

1. Can it be used towards a new digital TV or DVD
recorder to be used as a "converter"?

2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
input... no direct inputs?

George Grapman

Jan 28, 2008, 1:48:11 PM1/28/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Some questions abt the coupons one can get for
> converter boxes:
>
> 1. Can it be used towards a new digital TV or DVD
> recorder to be used as a "converter"?

No, it can only be used for a converter box.

> 2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
> allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
> input... no direct inputs?

I don't know the answer to that. The only affected people will be
those with analog sets who get their signals over the air.

Shawn Hirn

Jan 28, 2008, 2:33:54 PM1/28/08
In article <kf8sp35948a0jlhpa...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
wrote:

> Some questions abt the coupons one can get for
> converter boxes:
>
> 1. Can it be used towards a new digital TV or DVD
> recorder to be used as a "converter"?

I don't think so.

> 2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
> allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
> input... no direct inputs?

As soon as the boxes go on sale, which should be in a week or two, you
can check them out for yourself to see what their capabilities are. Feel
free to google for "digital TV converter box" and I am sure you will
find tons of information.

Seerialmom

Jan 28, 2008, 6:32:45 PM1/28/08

I think the answers could be found at the DTVanswers.com site, eh?
But my understanding is the coupon is for a converter...and that's
it. Actually I thought I'd check just because, here's the answer:

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
will issue coupons for DTV converter boxes in early 2008. Households
will be able to apply for up to two coupons, which must be redeemed
within three months of receipt. The coupons cannot be combined to
purchase a single converter box, nor can they be used toward the
purchase of other products.

No idea what you mean by the second question. Maybe there's an AV
geek in here who knows.

Logan Shaw

Jan 28, 2008, 9:40:46 PM1/28/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Some questions abt the coupons one can get for
> converter boxes:
>
> 1. Can it be used towards a new digital TV or DVD
> recorder to be used as a "converter"?

Apparently not.

> 2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
> allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
> input... no direct inputs?

I don't see any reason why a manufacturer couldn't offer this
feature. I don't know that all of the approved converter boxes
will, but it would be a helpful feature since by definition the
boxes are going to be used by late adopters, who may have
really old TVs.

On the other hand, I expect that as we get closer and closer
to the switchover day, analog TVs will get so cheap as to be
either practically or literally free for the taking. At that
point, you might as well ditch your low-quality obsolete
television and trade up for a high-quality obsolete television,
since it will cost you next to nothing. Either that, or pick
up free (or buy for cheap) about 10 or 20 obsolete televisions
and set up a wall of televisions in your garage. If you have
cable TV service, you can split the signal and tune each one
to a different station, and watch them all at once, just like
David Bowie in a certain sci-fi movie from the 1970's. :-)

- Logan

Jeff

Jan 28, 2008, 10:56:02 PM1/28/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Some questions abt the coupons one can get for
> converter boxes:
>
> 1. Can it be used towards a new digital TV or DVD
> recorder to be used as a "converter"?

No.

> 2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
> allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
> input... no direct inputs?

Little reason to as cable is mandated to retain standard TV for
another couple years. Last I looked, and that was few weeks ago, there
weren't *any* converter boxes available.

I'd wait to see the products before you apply for a coupon.

Or, you can do what I did and buy a receiver to watch HDTV on your
computer, mine was $9 after rebate.

Jeff

Tony Sivori

Jan 29, 2008, 12:13:38 AM1/29/08

https://www.dtv2009.gov/FAQ.aspx

--
Tony Sivori

Fake ID

Jan 29, 2008, 3:03:43 AM1/29/08
>Some questions abt the coupons one can get for
>converter boxes:
>
>1. Can it be used towards a new digital TV or DVD
>recorder to be used as a "converter"?

No.
Only converter boxes that meet the program criteria.

>2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
>allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
>input... no direct inputs?

Yes.
Coupon program mandates that the converter output on ch3/4.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jan 29, 2008, 9:59:39 AM1/29/08
Jeff wrote:
> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>> Some questions abt the coupons one can get for
>> converter boxes:
>>
>> 1. Can it be used towards a new digital TV or DVD
>> recorder to be used as a "converter"?
>
> No.
>>
>> 2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
>> allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
>> input... no direct inputs?
>

> Little reason to as cable is mandated to retain standard TV for
> another couple years. Last I looked, and that was few weeks ago, there
> weren't *any* converter boxes available.
>
> I'd wait to see the products before you apply for a coupon.

If for no other reason than that the coupons expire after 90 days.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Life is complex--it has real and imaginary parts. --anonymous

m...@privacy.net

Jan 29, 2008, 12:19:08 PM1/29/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>I don't see any reason why a manufacturer couldn't offer this
>feature. I don't know that all of the approved converter boxes
>will, but it would be a helpful feature since by definition the
>boxes are going to be used by late adopters, who may have
>really old TVs.

Agree.... by people like me who are on really tight
budget and are "cheap". <G>

>On the other hand, I expect that as we get closer and closer
>to the switchover day, analog TVs will get so cheap as to be
>either practically or literally free for the taking. At that
>point, you might as well ditch your low-quality obsolete
>television and trade up for a high-quality obsolete television,
>since it will cost you next to nothing. Either that, or pick
>up free (or buy for cheap) about 10 or 20 obsolete televisions
>and set up a wall of televisions in your garage. If you have
>cable TV service, you can split the signal and tune each one
>to a different station, and watch them all at once, just like
>David Bowie in a certain sci-fi movie from the 1970's. :-)

I actually know a guy who has something like the above
in his home.... he is an older bachelor and calls it
his "command" center!

m...@privacy.net

Jan 29, 2008, 12:20:16 PM1/29/08
Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

> Little reason to as cable is mandated to retain standard TV for
>another couple years. Last I looked, and that was few weeks ago, there
>weren't *any* converter boxes available.

I don't have cable and will only have off air
reception.

> Or, you can do what I did and buy a receiver to watch HDTV on your
>computer, mine was $9 after rebate.

Have a link to it?

Thanks

m...@privacy.net

Jan 29, 2008, 12:21:16 PM1/29/08
no-...@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

>>2. Will the converter boxes have RF modulators in them
>>allowing use of old analog TV's with ONLY a coax
>>input... no direct inputs?
>
>Yes.
>Coupon program mandates that the converter output on ch3/4.

OK cool!!

Now I wonder if those converter boxes will have any
inputs for other devices such as DVD recorders and
such?

Jeff

Jan 29, 2008, 3:39:19 PM1/29/08
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
>
>> Little reason to as cable is mandated to retain standard TV for
>> another couple years. Last I looked, and that was few weeks ago, there
>> weren't *any* converter boxes available.
>
> I don't have cable and will only have off air
> reception.

Sorry, I misread the question. Apparently the converters will feed
your coax input.

>> Or, you can do what I did and buy a receiver to watch HDTV on your
>> computer, mine was $9 after rebate.

Google up ATSC receiver PC. I got a Volar, there's others around. Your
PC will need to meet certain requirements to run HDTV although it may do
fine for regular DTV. Mine is the size of a USB memory stick.

But why don't you check your reception first, you may need to get a
UHF antenna (most but not all transmissions are UHF).

Where I'm at, I get a dozen stations on one half of the house (with a
4" mini whip) and 4 on the other side. UHF is easily blocked.

I would really really wait. There will be more converters out later
(I don't know of any at reasonable cost now) and they will be better and
cheaper. It's costly being at the leading edge.

Jeff

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 30, 2008, 10:12:34 PM1/30/08
> Life is complex--it has real and imaginary parts.  --anonymous- Hide quoted text -

Any idea why they expire after 90 days?

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 30, 2008, 10:13:22 PM1/30/08
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I expect them to be offered free to the public.

The advertisers do not wish to lose their buying
sheeple...err...public.

TMT

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jan 30, 2008, 10:33:50 PM1/30/08
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> On Jan 29, 8:59 am, "Evelyn C. Leeper" <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Jeff wrote:
>>> Last I looked, and that was few weeks ago, there
>>> weren't *any* converter boxes available.
>>> I'd wait to see the products before you apply for a coupon.
>
>> If for no other reason than that the coupons expire after 90 days.
>
> Any idea why they expire after 90 days?

My *guess* is that because the government is only giving out a limited
number, and they want to make sure they will go to people who will use
them, rather than having people not able to get them because other
people got there first but then didn't use theirs. So after 90 days, it
your (presumably numbered) coupons haven't been turned back in to the
government by a retailer, they can re-issue them to someone else.

Logan Shaw

Jan 30, 2008, 10:58:51 PM1/30/08
Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:
> Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> >
>>> If for no other reason than that the coupons expire after 90 days.
>>
>> Any idea why they expire after 90 days?
>
> My *guess* is that because the government is only giving out a limited
> number, and they want to make sure they will go to people who will use
> them, rather than having people not able to get them because other
> people got there first but then didn't use theirs.

Another guess is that the intention is just to get people motivated
to make the transition before the last minute. If you make the
coupons expire, people will have to get off their butts and go out
and buy the converter box, which means the stores will be somewhat
less swamped during the week before the switchover.

- Logan

Logan Shaw

Jan 30, 2008, 11:03:27 PM1/30/08
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> I expect them to be offered free to the public.
>
> The advertisers do not wish to lose their buying
> sheeple...err...public.

Could happen. I saw a quote one time about television
advertising that was attributed to Noam Chomsky (but might
very well have been said by somebody else), which goes
basically, "Television exists to sell a product to a customer.
The product is the viewer, and the customer is the advertiser."

So, of course the TV stations/networks won't want you to stop
watching; after all, you are (or more precisely, your time is)
the product they're selling, and if they run low on the supply
of what they're selling, they can't make money.

- Logan

Rod Speed

Jan 31, 2008, 12:03:44 AM1/31/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote
> Too_Many_Tools wrote

>> I expect them to be offered free to the public.

>> The advertisers do not wish to lose their buying sheeple...err...public.

> Could happen.

Nope. You never saw them handing out free TVs.

> I saw a quote one time about television advertising that was attributed to Noam Chomsky (but might very well have been
> said by somebody else), which goes basically, "Television exists to sell a product to a customer.

Odd that some countrys chose to have just govt TV.

> The product is the viewer, and the customer is the advertiser."

Mindless silly stuff, most obviously with doco.

> So, of course the TV stations/networks won't want you to stop
> watching; after all, you are (or more precisely, your time is)
> the product they're selling, and if they run low on the supply
> of what they're selling, they can't make money.

And they realise that few will choose to do without any TV too.

Fake ID

Jan 31, 2008, 1:10:11 AM1/31/08
In article <43oup35mqjqgv4uqs...@4ax.com>,

Didn't see a specific mention, but doesn't look like such a device would
qualify. Not that no one will make such a box (or one with HDMI or
component outputs, for example), just that it won't qualify for the
coupon.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/DTVmanufacturers.pdf

Logan Shaw

Jan 31, 2008, 1:46:48 AM1/31/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote
>> Too_Many_Tools wrote

>>> I expect them to be offered free to the public.
>>> The advertisers do not wish to lose their buying sheeple...err...public.

>> Could happen.

> Nope. You never saw them handing out free TVs.

We've also never (at least in the US) seen a switchover of this
kind and magnitude. I actually don't think it's likely; I'm just
not ruling it out.

>> I saw a quote one time about television advertising that was attributed to Noam Chomsky (but might very well have been
>> said by somebody else), which goes basically, "Television exists to sell a product to a customer.
>
> Odd that some countrys chose to have just govt TV.

Not that odd. It's just two different ways of doing it, both
perfectly reasonable and both successful. One of them just wasn't
mentioned in the quote because it's clear from context which is
being referred to.

- Logan

Logan Shaw

Jan 31, 2008, 1:48:19 AM1/31/08

Why would HD tuner need an input for a DVD recorder?
Its whole purpose in life is to convert HD signals into
other formats. Maybe you're talking about *outputs*?

- Logan

Rod Speed

Jan 31, 2008, 1:58:06 AM1/31/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote
>>> Too_Many_Tools wrote

>>> Could happen.

>> Nope. You never saw them handing out free TVs.

> We've also never (at least in the US) seen a switchover of this kind and magnitude.

Plenty of other countrys have.

> I actually don't think it's likely; I'm just not ruling it out.

It aint gunna happen, you watch.

>>> I saw a quote one time about television advertising that was attributed to Noam Chomsky (but might very well have
>>> been said by somebody else), which goes basically, "Television exists to sell a product to a customer.

>> Odd that some countrys chose to have just govt TV.

> Not that odd.

It does blow a damned great hole in that fool's claim.

> It's just two different ways of doing it, both perfectly reasonable and both successful.

It never was anything like that fool claimed in the US.

> One of them just wasn't mentioned in the quote because it's clear from context which is being referred to.

It was always mindless silly stuff.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jan 31, 2008, 9:49:32 AM1/31/08
Logan Shaw wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote
>>> Too_Many_Tools wrote

>>> Could happen.
>
>> Nope. You never saw them handing out free TVs.
>
> We've also never (at least in the US) seen a switchover of this
> kind and magnitude. I actually don't think it's likely; I'm just
> not ruling it out.

I think the situation is that the demographic of those who need the
converter boxes are not those that most advertisers want to reach.
After all, these are people who still have old televisions and no cable
converter boxes.

m...@privacy.net

Jan 31, 2008, 11:25:25 AM1/31/08
no-...@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

>>Now I wonder if those converter boxes will have any
>>inputs for other devices such as DVD recorders and
>>such?
>
>Didn't see a specific mention, but doesn't look like such a device would
>qualify. Not that no one will make such a box (or one with HDMI or
>component outputs, for example), just that it won't qualify for the
>coupon.

Yep my findings as well.... looks like only a very
"basic" converter will apply

m...@privacy.net

Jan 31, 2008, 11:26:40 AM1/31/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>> Now I wonder if those converter boxes will have any
>> inputs for other devices such as DVD recorders and
>> such?
>
>Why would HD tuner need an input for a DVD recorder?
>Its whole purpose in life is to convert HD signals into
>other formats. Maybe you're talking about *outputs*?

Need a way to hook a DVD recorder to a TV with an RF
coax input only.... was hoping the converter box would
allow that

Jeff

Jan 31, 2008, 1:11:56 PM1/31/08

I think they can be had cheaply, You may check your discount store.

Since a DTV converter is designed to handle digital input it wouldn't
know what to do with the analog out from your DVD.

On another note, it seems unlikely that HDTV will be converted to
analog, only SDTV. It takes a lot of processing power to do conversions.
That may be fine as many stations will broadcast a SDTV subchannel along
with their HDTV subchannel. Some may not, don't know... It's all a moot
point until actual devices arrive on the shelves.

Jeff

Logan Shaw

Jan 31, 2008, 10:34:09 PM1/31/08

A converter box's purpose, especially those which will be
subsidized by the US government, would be to ease the
transition from analog TV to digital TV. So it wouldn't
really be in line with the device's purpose to do that.

Having said that, if you want such a device, the grocery
store near my house carries one, and it costs about $25,
actually cheaper than most of the digital TV signal
converter boxes. In fact, this appears to be the same
model:

http://www.dvdplayersonly.com/Miscellany/Philips%20PH-61159.html

- Logan

Dennis

Jan 31, 2008, 10:33:36 PM1/31/08

Your DVD recorder likely has a coax input and analog tuner (else what
are you going to record?). So connect the HD converter output to the
DVD recorder input, then connect the DVD recorder output to the TV.
The recorder should have a pass through like VCRs do.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Anthony Matonak

Jan 31, 2008, 11:50:51 PM1/31/08
Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:

> I think the situation is that the demographic of those who need the
> converter boxes are not those that most advertisers want to reach. After
> all, these are people who still have old televisions and no cable
> converter boxes.

Broadcast TV seems to be more than half infomercials and commercials
aimed at those with low income so advertisers do want to reach these
people.

How else could you explain the explosion in ads for payday loans,
refillable debit cards that don't require a bank account and the
host of ambulance chasers, snake oil and cheap cooking appliances?

Anthony

Evelyn C. Leeper

Feb 1, 2008, 12:13:52 PM2/1/08

I'm not talking about income, but about the fact that the people who
need the converters are not people who buy stuff. If they were, they
would have a new TV or cable box.

m...@privacy.net

Feb 1, 2008, 3:11:41 PM2/1/08
"Evelyn C. Leeper" <ele...@optonline.net> wrote:

>I'm not talking about income, but about the fact that the people who
>need the converters are not people who buy stuff. If they were, they
>would have a new TV or cable box.

Or college students with little income

Bob F

Feb 7, 2008, 2:12:57 PM2/7/08

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:479e90de$0$6484

> On the other hand, I expect that as we get closer and closer
> to the switchover day, analog TVs will get so cheap as to be
> either practically or literally free for the taking. At that
> point, you might as well ditch your low-quality obsolete
> television and trade up for a high-quality obsolete television,
> since it will cost you next to nothing. Either that, or pick
> up free (or buy for cheap) about 10 or 20 obsolete televisions
> and set up a wall of televisions in your garage. If you have
> cable TV service, you can split the signal and tune each one
> to a different station, and watch them all at once, just like
> David Bowie in a certain sci-fi movie from the 1970's. :-)

And then you get to pay to dispose of the TV's in many cities of the US.

The Real Bev

Feb 9, 2008, 7:19:14 PM2/9/08
Bob F wrote:

In California the Goodwill stores will take electronic waste at no
charge. You may have to take large items to one of the main offices.

--
Cheers, Bev
STRESS MANAGEMENT

Picture yourself near a stream.
Birds are singing in the crisp, cool mountain air.
Nothing can bother you here.
No one knows this secret place.
You are in total seclusion from
that place called the world.
The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall
fills the air with a cascade of serenity.
The water is crystal clear.
You can easily make out the face of the person
whose head you're holding under the water.
-- KevinT

Bob F

Feb 9, 2008, 9:15:39 PM2/9/08

"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Bob F wrote:
>
>> "Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> On the other hand, I expect that as we get closer and closer
>>> to the switchover day, analog TVs will get so cheap as to be
>>> either practically or literally free for the taking. At that
>>> point, you might as well ditch your low-quality obsolete
>>> television and trade up for a high-quality obsolete television,
>>> since it will cost you next to nothing. Either that, or pick
>>> up free (or buy for cheap) about 10 or 20 obsolete televisions
>>> and set up a wall of televisions in your garage. If you have
>>> cable TV service, you can split the signal and tune each one
>>> to a different station, and watch them all at once, just like
>>> David Bowie in a certain sci-fi movie from the 1970's. :-)
>>
>> And then you get to pay to dispose of the TV's in many cities of the US.
>
> In California the Goodwill stores will take electronic waste at no charge.
> You may have to take large items to one of the main offices.

Here in Seattle, almost no thrift shop will take CRT's anymore, due to the
disposal fees.

The Real Bev

Feb 10, 2008, 12:00:20 AM2/10/08
Bob F wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Bob F wrote:

>>> And then you get to pay to dispose of the TV's in many cities of the US.
>>
>> In California the Goodwill stores will take electronic waste at no charge.
>> You may have to take large items to one of the main offices.
>
> Here in Seattle, almost no thrift shop will take CRT's anymore, due to the
> disposal fees.

It's not for resale, they're an authorized receiver of electronic waste.
I guess somebody pays them to do something with it. Way handier than
the occasional electronic/hazardous waste roundups they have in huge
parking lots every once in a while. Waiting in an hour-long line to
dispose of a pickup-load of old VCRs is a real bummer.

--
Cheers, Bev
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoo

Bob F

Feb 12, 2008, 12:22:57 PM2/12/08

> Bob F wrote:
>
>> "The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> In California the Goodwill stores will take electronic waste at no charge.
>>> You may have to take large items to one of the main offices.
>>
>> Here in Seattle, almost no thrift shop will take CRT's anymore, due to the
>> disposal fees.
>
> It's not for resale, they're an authorized receiver of electronic waste. I
> guess somebody pays them to do something with it. Way handier than the
> occasional electronic/hazardous waste roundups they have in huge parking lots
> every once in a while. Waiting in an hour-long line to dispose of a
> pickup-load of old VCRs is a real bummer.

According to the Goodwill website in Seattle.

"Computer monitors and equipment are accepted at the discretion of Seattle
Goodwill based on current stock levels, potential for resale, and condition."

Televisions are not accepted.

So I'm not sure what you say applies here.

The Real Bev

Feb 12, 2008, 1:03:24 PM2/12/08
Bob F wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bob F wrote:

>>> Here in Seattle, almost no thrift shop will take CRT's anymore, due to the
>>> disposal fees.
>>
>> It's not for resale, they're an authorized receiver of electronic waste. I
>> guess somebody pays them to do something with it. Way handier than the
>> occasional electronic/hazardous waste roundups they have in huge parking lots
>> every once in a while. Waiting in an hour-long line to dispose of a
>> pickup-load of old VCRs is a real bummer.
>
> According to the Goodwill website in Seattle.
>
> "Computer monitors and equipment are accepted at the discretion of Seattle
> Goodwill based on current stock levels, potential for resale, and condition."
>
> Televisions are not accepted.
>
> So I'm not sure what you say applies here.

It clearly doesn't. The California thing is probably subsidized by the
state in some way. "Electronic waste" is clearly not salable.

--
Cheers, Bev
Why should I be tarred with the epithet "loony" merely