Freecycle skank?

freeb...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2007, 7:11:06 PM8/28/07
Does anyone use freecycle or any service like it and get harassed by
these looooooosers who determine whats really worth recycling and
whats not?

Patricia Martin Steward

Aug 28, 2007, 8:40:35 PM8/28/07

So, what bad experience did you have?

I've used Freecycle multiple times and never had a problem.

--
Face your fears.
Live your dreams.

Steve

Aug 29, 2007, 1:15:55 AM8/29/07
Only big problem with Freecycle is folks who never pick up the
stuff...

--

A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to.

...Granville Hicks

Chloe

Aug 29, 2007, 8:20:44 AM8/29/07
"Steve" <o...@wdc.inv> wrote in message

> Only big problem with Freecycle is folks who never pick up the
> stuff...

That was my experience the one time I tried to give away an exercise bike in
good condition. Never again. I'm convinced it would have been a better idea
and less hassle to SELL it on Craig's List.

Message has been deleted

Michael Black

Aug 29, 2007, 2:53:12 PM8/29/07
"Bob F" (bobn...@gmail.com) writes:
> "Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote in message
> You let one incident make you give up on a great resource? Why do you think
> craigslist would be any better?

Huh?

WHat "great resource" is it for people who have things they want to
get rid of, especially if the process is the same as selling something?

Sure, it's a "great resource" for people who want free things.

But there have always been outlets for people who had things they no
longer want to get rid of. Donate to the Salvation Army or similar
organizations. Donate to the local school or church that has a rummage
sale to raise funds. Find some organization that actually wants the
stuff and can use it outright. Give it to a neighbor. Tell your friends
and family you have something you want to get rid of, and they'll pass
the word. Post an add in the local newspaper, or local newsgroup. Or
leave it on the front lawn with a sign asking people to take it away.

Too many people have bought into "freecycle" as if there is no alternative,
as if "free stuff" is the ultimate (when in reality you can get all kinds
of things for almost free, buy going to those rummage sales and garage
sales and classified ads), and as if there is no other way to dispose of
things you no longer want.

Michael

Chloe

Aug 29, 2007, 3:45:58 PM8/29/07
> "Bob F" (bobn...@gmail.com) writes:
>> "Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> "Steve" <o...@wdc.inv> wrote in message
>>>
>>> That was my experience the one time I tried to give away an exercise
>>> bike in
>>> good condition. Never again. I'm convinced it would have been a better
>>> idea
>>> and less hassle to SELL it on Craig's List.
>>>
>> You let one incident make you give up on a great resource? Why do you
>> think
>> craigslist would be any better?

I have no reason to think future experiences on Freecycle would be any less
hassle than the bike was. I had a number of responses that basically said
"oh please, oh please, NICE LADY, PICK ME to give the bike to! I have
<insert serious medical condition here> and I need it so much. Sob Sob!"
Then these people simply didn't show at the time they said they would,
didn't call, I just didn't hear from them again. I assume there's some kind
of head game where people get off on trying to get someone to offer them
free stuff. I don't live in a neighborhood where people leave their trash
just sitting out by the curb, so I kept having to move the bike in and out
of the house for days on end.

My experience with Craig's List was completely different. I sold a set of
fairly nice living room furniture for the full asking price. The young lady
who bought it and her parents showed up when they said they would, with the
cash in hand. Obviously people put more value on a transaction when there's
money involved.

Great resource. Yeah, right.

Chloe

Aug 29, 2007, 3:39:08 PM8/29/07
"Michael Black" <et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

Those are all good suggestions, although sometimes you might want to get rid
of something that's difficult to transport and you hope to find someone else
to deal with that problem--yet you don't want to just throw it into the
landfill. That's the only reason I listed the bike on Freecycle. After
experiencing people's incredible ill manners firsthand, I certainly wouldn't
offer anything there I could easily get rid of otherwise. As far as I'm
concerned, Freecycle sucks.

Bob F

Aug 29, 2007, 4:08:55 PM8/29/07

"Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote in message

Obviously, when selling something of significant value, peoples response is
likely to be different than on giveaways. Occasionally, people may flake out on
giveaways. It will be the same on craigslist as on freecycle. I find that most
stuff on freecycle is claimed within minutes of posting if it not garbage.
Similarly on craigslist. It sounds like you had one individual flake out on you.
There are hundreds for every one of those who would be happy to receive it. It's
your choice, but I don't want otheres to think that freecycle isn't a great
resource. One of the nicest things about freecycle is that they don't permit
"come and get it" ads which waste many peoples time and gas.

Bob

Rod Speed

Aug 29, 2007, 5:07:39 PM8/29/07

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

> Great resource. Yeah, right.

Don K

Aug 29, 2007, 8:26:03 PM8/29/07

"Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote in message

would be any better?

> I have no reason to think future experiences on Freecycle would be any less hassle than
> the bike was. I had a number of responses that basically said "oh please, oh please,
> NICE LADY, PICK ME to give the bike to! I have <insert serious medical condition here>
> and I need it so much. Sob Sob!" Then these people simply didn't show at the time they
> said they would, didn't call, I just didn't hear from them again. I assume there's some
> kind of head game where people get off on trying to get someone to offer them free
> stuff. I don't live in a neighborhood where people leave their trash just sitting out by
> the curb, so I kept having to move the bike in and out of the house for days on end.

Some common sense arrangements can be made to eliminate that kind of
stuff.

First of all, don't give it to the whiniest, most annoying person.

Second, set up a short window for pickup. An hour works for me. Make it
shorter if you want. Put the item near your house, along with a note with
their name on it. If they don't show, pull it back inside and offer it to the
next-best response.

If you get no-shows, complain to the moderator. Maybe they will drop
them from the list.

> My experience with Craig's List was completely different. I sold a set of fairly nice
> living room furniture for the full asking price. The young lady who bought it and her
> parents showed up when they said they would, with the cash in hand. Obviously people put
> more value on a transaction when there's money involved.

My experience with Freecycle is completely different than yours.
It just goes to show nothing operates perfectly.

Don

Don K

Aug 29, 2007, 8:34:01 PM8/29/07
"Michael Black" <et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> Too many people have bought into "freecycle" as if there is no alternative,

> as if "free stuff" is the ultimate (when in reality you can get all kinds
> of things for almost free, buy going to those rummage sales and garage
> sales and classified ads), and as if there is no other way to dispose of
> things you no longer want.

I don't think it's up to you to decide how many is enough or how many
is too many.

Don

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Aug 29, 2007, 8:00:17 PM8/29/07
In article <fb4fao$jhv$1...@theodyn.ncf.ca>,
et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA says...

> "Bob F" (bobn...@gmail.com) writes:
> > "Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote in message
> >> "Steve" <o...@wdc.inv> wrote in message
> >>
> >> That was my experience the one time I tried to give away an exercise bike in
> >> good condition. Never again. I'm convinced it would have been a better idea
> >> and less hassle to SELL it on Craig's List.

> > You let one incident make you give up on a great resource? Why do you think
> > craigslist would be any better?

> Huh?
>
> WHat "great resource" is it for people who have things they want to
> get rid of, especially if the process is the same as selling something?
>
> Sure, it's a "great resource" for people who want free things.
>
> But there have always been outlets for people who had things they no
> longer want to get rid of. Donate to the Salvation Army or similar
> organizations. Donate to the local school or church that has a rummage
> sale to raise funds. Find some organization that actually wants the
> stuff and can use it outright. Give it to a neighbor. Tell your friends
> and family you have something you want to get rid of, and they'll pass
> the word.

Personally, I would avoid offering any free items to neighbours
or friends. There is an ongoing interaction, and it can get
really obnoxious if the recipient gets the idea that you have a
surplus of stuff. And that you may be an ongoing source of
freebies.

Much safer to go with the Salvation Army or someplace like that.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Aug 30, 2007, 1:21:54 AM8/30/07
In article <46d5cd0a$1$15351$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
just...@spam.com says...

> I have no reason to think future experiences on Freecycle would be any less
> hassle than the bike was. I had a number of responses that basically said
> "oh please, oh please, NICE LADY, PICK ME to give the bike to! I have
> <insert serious medical condition here> and I need it so much. Sob Sob!"
> Then these people simply didn't show at the time they said they would,
> didn't call, I just didn't hear from them again. I assume there's some kind
> of head game where people get off on trying to get someone to offer them
> free stuff. I don't live in a neighborhood where people leave their trash
> just sitting out by the curb, so I kept having to move the bike in and out
> of the house for days on end.
>
> My experience with Craig's List was completely different. I sold a set of
> fairly nice living room furniture for the full asking price. The young lady
> who bought it and her parents showed up when they said they would, with the
> cash in hand. Obviously people put more value on a transaction when there's
> money involved.

Perhaps there was effect from the different nature of the item.

The bike represents physical exercise.

And it seems that lots of people do a, "I'm gonna start
exercising and get in shape! Real soon now..." To feel good,
and try to solicit admiration from others. And then, they
proceed to lose interest or make excuses when it is time to
actually get off their bum and put forth the effort.

On the other hand, living room furniture represents relaxation.

And people's commitment to sitting on a nice, comfortable couch,
tends to be more reliable than their fantasies about exercise.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Aug 30, 2007, 10:14:55 AM8/30/07

<Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote in message

and then, if for some reason the free item doesn't perform as expected, you
now have a problem with a neighbor. that's the
main reason i never allow people to come to my house to pu
anything i freecycle.