Frugal/safe summer vacation tips

William Souden

Jul 5, 2008, 2:06:11 AM7/5/08
If you are arriving in the evening and leaving the next morning a
Motel 6 is great.

Often suburban hotels are cheaper than their city counterparts. In NY
for example stay in Jersey and take a bus or train each day into the city.

If you reserve directly with a hotel get a rate quote and then ask
what the corporate rate is.

When you go out leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and leave
the tv on . This will discourage a thief.

Never use the mini-bar in the room. Local liquor stores and mini-marts
are cheaper.

Want to experience dining at a top notch hotel? Try breakfast,
especially if they have a buffet,

Want a great restaurant? Try lunch instead of dinner.

On interstates when you pull off and see Denny's, a Denny's clone,
fast food and mini-mart and a sign saying "(name of town_________3
miles" drive the three miles for a restaurant.

Message has been deleted

William Souden

Jul 5, 2008, 10:32:29 AM7/5/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <daEbk.17128$Ri....@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com>,
> Some of these tips are pretty good, but the idea of leaving the do not
> disturb sign on the door when you're out isn't anything I would do. One
> of the benefits I like from staying in a hotel is that someone cleans up
> after me and makes my bed. To discourage theft, simply don't travel with
> belongings that would cause you grief were they to be stolen. Obviously,
> you need clothing, toiletries, and maybe a laptop, but no one is going
> to risk their job to steel clothing and toiletries. Your laptop can be
> locked up at most hotels. What I do with my laptop is lock it with a
> latch I have or stow it in the in-room safe.

I was not clear. I put the "Do Not Disturb" sing on after the room has
been cleaned. If need be I ask the cleaning person to do my room before
I head out for the day and tip a few dollars.

Message has been deleted