Turning off gas / water in house that is still somewhat in use?

Joe

Apr 8, 2008, 6:55:50 AM4/8/08
I'm selling a property. Folks visit it to see it but I turned the hot water
heaters and furnaces to their "vacation" settings. Last time I was there, I
turned off the water main to make sure that there were no "drips" causing me
a bill...

It doesn't get below freezing and I have a fridge or two in the house so I
can't kill the power totally... Anything else I can do to save $$$ on
utilities?

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"
http://yunx.com/valk.htm

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/hmzj
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg

Al Bundy

Apr 8, 2008, 7:25:47 AM4/8/08

Joe wrote:
> I'm selling a property. Folks visit it to see it but I turned the hot water
> heaters and furnaces to their "vacation" settings. Last time I was there, I
> turned off the water main to make sure that there were no "drips" causing me
> a bill...
>
> It doesn't get below freezing and I have a fridge or two in the house so I
> can't kill the power totally... Anything else I can do to save $$$ on
> utilities?
>
> Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

The refrigerators would be fine if you turned them off and propped the
doors open.

Message has been deleted

Lou

Apr 8, 2008, 9:00:17 PM4/8/08

"Joe" <really-fake...@yunx.com> wrote in message

> I'm selling a property. Folks visit it to see it but I turned the hot
water
> heaters and furnaces to their "vacation" settings. Last time I was there,
> turned off the water main to make sure that there were no "drips" causing
me
> a bill...

I don't know what a "vacation" setting is, but if the water heater turns on
every so often and you've turned the water off, it seems to me that you
could be running a risk.

The other thing that comes to mind is that a cold building doesn't sound
very inviting - shutting off the utilities may make the place harder to
sell.

Joe

Apr 8, 2008, 8:43:58 PM4/8/08
> I don't know what a "vacation" setting is, but if the water heater turns
> on
> every so often and you've turned the water off, it seems to me that you
> could be running a risk.

The heater has water in it so I *think* it is okay...

> The other thing that comes to mind is that a cold building doesn't sound
> very inviting - shutting off the utilities may make the place harder to
> sell.

Under contract since January. Hoping to close in less than a month as it is
a complicated situation for the buyers and the most difficult closing I've
ever had to deal with.

Logan Shaw

Apr 8, 2008, 8:53:15 PM4/8/08
Joe wrote:
> I'm selling a property. Folks visit it to see it but I turned the hot water
> heaters and furnaces to their "vacation" settings. Last time I was there, I
> turned off the water main to make sure that there were no "drips" causing me
> a bill...
>
> It doesn't get below freezing and I have a fridge or two in the house so I
> can't kill the power totally... Anything else I can do to save $$$ on
> utilities?

Warning: unless you've taken precautions, it's not good to leave a house with
no water running down the drains for too long. The U-shaped traps in a drain
have water standing in them to prevent sewer gases from making it back up the
pipe. But if you don't run water down there, the existing water will eventually
evaporate, the trap will stop serving its purpose, and sewer gases will be free
to enter the house. If one of my relative's experience is any indication, you'll
notice, too.

So, were it me, I'd fix any drips. (Since this usually just means replacing a
washer, and ought to be done anyway.) And then I'd turn the water main back
on, and every time I went over, I'd run the water in each of the sinks for 15
seconds or so.

- Logan

Terryc

Apr 8, 2008, 9:06:13 PM4/8/08
Joe wrote:
> I'm selling a property. Folks visit it to see it but I turned the hot water
> heaters and furnaces to their "vacation" settings. Last time I was there, I
> turned off the water main to make sure that there were no "drips" causing me
> a bill...

Why don't you just turn them off?

> It doesn't get below freezing and I have a fridge or two in the house so I
> can't kill the power totally... Anything else I can do to save $$$ on

Umm, prop the fridge/freezer door open and then turn the power off.