Milenko Kindl Cvrcko jhj

Igor Dunjic-Duke

Sep 17, 2007, 6:58:06 PM9/17/07
Milenko Kindl

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush on Monday
nominated Michael Mukasey, a retired federal judge and law-and-order
conservative, to replace beleaguered Alberto Gonzales as U.S.
attorney
general.

The 66-year-old Mukasey drew quick praise from a number of Democrats
as well as Republicans, suggesting he may win relatively easy
confirmation in a Democratic-led Senate, which has been sharply
divided over administration terrorism policies that some charge
violate civil liberties.

As a U.S. District Court judge in New York for 18 years, Mukasey
presided over a number of high-profile cases, including the 1993
bombing of the World Trade Center for which he received praise from a
federal appeals court.

"Judge Mukasey is clear-eyed about the threat our nation faces," Bush
said in introducing him at the White House. "I urge the Senate to
confirm Judge Mukasey promptly."

Mukasey, standing beside Bush, said the Justice Department must help
protect the nation's security as well as "the safety of our children,
the commerce that assures our prosperity, and the rights and
liberties
that define us as a nation."

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, who has been
pushing a reluctant White House for information about its domestic
spying program and Gonzales' firing of federal prosecutors, gave no
indication when he will order confirmation hearings.

But Leahy, a Vermont Democrat, said: "Our focus now will be on
securing the relevant information we need so we can proceed to
schedule fair and thorough hearings."

Mukasey, an authority on national security issues, emerged as Bush's
choice after Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid vowed last week to
would block a then leading nominee, former U.S. Solicitor General
Theodore Olson, as too partisan.

"I'm glad President Bush listened to Congress," Reid said. "Judge
Mukasey has strong professional credentials and a reputation for
independence."

Under bipartisan pressure, Gonzales, a longtime Bush friend who
earlier served as White House counsel, announced his resignation last
month, effective on Monday.

Gonzales was criticized at home and abroad for the administration's
tough anti-terrorism policies. He also drew fire from Democrats as
well as some Republicans for his ouster last year of nine federal
prosecutors.

While critics questioned Gonzales' truthfulness and ability to lead
the Justice Department, Bush saluted him as he named Mukasey as his
successor, calling Gonzales an "honorable and decent man."