Turn that cell phone charger off!

Bill

Jun 6, 2008, 11:00:08โ€ฏAM6/6/08
The little boxes which plug into to the wall like cell phone chargers
(called transformers, power supplies, or wall warts) are *always* using
electricity! Even when not plugged into the cell phone.

Here is a neat little switch which goes between the outlet and things like
this you want to turn off when not in use...
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-34-outlet-adapters/plug-in-indoor-switch-102887.aspx

George Grapman

Jun 6, 2008, 12:36:33โ€ฏPM6/6/08
Seems easier and more frugal to simply unplug the charger when it is
not being used.

max

Jun 6, 2008, 1:55:16โ€ฏPM6/6/08
In article <lId2k.3828$N87....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>,
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:

that depends. not all electrical outlets are rated for a great many
plug insertions. You could find yourself destroying an outlet and in
need of a very pain-in-the-ass replacement should the installation or
wiring be as substandard as the outlet.

.max

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

Rod Speed

Jun 6, 2008, 2:34:40โ€ฏPM6/6/08
Bill <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The little boxes which plug into to the wall like cell phone chargers
> (called transformers, power supplies, or wall warts) are *always*
> using electricity! Even when not plugged into the cell phone.

Yes, but the modern switch mode chargers use fuck all power in that situation.

> Here is a neat little switch which goes between the outlet and things like this you want to turn off when not in
> use...
> http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-34-outlet-adapters/plug-in-indoor-switch-102887.aspx

Or you can just use a plug board with switched outlets if you're rocket science material.

Rod Speed

Jun 6, 2008, 2:37:37โ€ฏPM6/6/08
max <beta...@earthlink.net> wrote

> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote
>> Bill wrote:

>>> The little boxes which plug into to the wall like cell phone chargers
>>> (called transformers, power supplies, or wall warts) are *always*
>>> using electricity! Even when not plugged into the cell phone.

>>> Here is a neat little switch which goes between the outlet
>>> and things like this you want to turn off when not in use...
>>> http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-34-outlet-adapters/plug-in-indoor-switch-102887.aspx

>> Seems easier and more frugal to simply unplug the charger when it is not being used.

Nope, even easier and more frugal to get a switch mode charger and leave it plugged in.

> that depends. not all electrical outlets are rated for a great many plug insertions.

So use one that is if you're stupid enough to fart around like that, or use a plug board with switched outlets.

> You could find yourself destroying an outlet and in need of a very pain-in-the-ass
> replacement should the installation or wiring be as substandard as the outlet.

Just use a plug board so you can trivially replace that if it dies.

SMS

Jun 6, 2008, 4:40:39โ€ฏPM6/6/08
max wrote:

> that depends. not all electrical outlets are rated for a great many
> plug insertions. You could find yourself destroying an outlet and in
> need of a very pain-in-the-ass replacement should the installation or
> wiring be as substandard as the outlet.

An outlet costs under $1, and it will last for many thousands of insertions.

In any case, spending $4 on a switch that will save only a few cents
worth of electricity per year is lunacy. You can buy a cheap power strip
on sale at Fry's for less than $4.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jun 6, 2008, 4:56:21โ€ฏPM6/6/08

My cell phone instructions say to plug the charger into the cell phone
and *then* into the wall, rather than vice versa. Even though this
sounds bizarre, in fact there can be a difference. (In London, plugging
a CPAP unit in in reverse order could blow the fuse in it, while the
right way around never did.)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
A great many people think they are thinking when they are

max

Jun 6, 2008, 5:20:19โ€ฏPM6/6/08
In article <Jdh2k.74$cW3...@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>,
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> max wrote:
>
> > that depends. not all electrical outlets are rated for a great many
> > plug insertions. You could find yourself destroying an outlet and in
> > need of a very pain-in-the-ass replacement should the installation or
> > wiring be as substandard as the outlet.
>
> An outlet costs under $1, and it will last for many thousands of insertions.

That crappy $1 outlet is going to be lotsa comfort to the guy who
discovers he has old wiring that self-destructs the moment he removes
the outlet or when he discovers that the genius who remuddled the house
in 1974 pulled out all the slack in the wiring. etc.

"All you gotta do is ..." is the beginning of a great many home repair
nightmares.

SMS

Jun 6, 2008, 6:51:03โ€ฏPM6/6/08
max wrote:

> That crappy $1 outlet is going to be lotsa comfort to the guy who
> discovers he has old wiring that self-destructs the moment he removes
> the outlet or when he discovers that the genius who remuddled the house
> in 1974 pulled out all the slack in the wiring. etc.

$1 is for the more expensive outlets! Go to a store like HD Supply where
they sell the outlets individually in bins, not where you buy them
individually wrapped.

Leviton outlets in bulk packs are about 75ยข each in the 200 unit bulk pack.

Now if you want el-cheapo no-name outlets, you can get them for a lot less.

Logan Shaw

Jun 6, 2008, 10:32:13โ€ฏPM6/6/08
max wrote:
> In article <Jdh2k.74$cW3...@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>,
> SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> max wrote:

>>> that depends. not all electrical outlets are rated for a great many
>>> plug insertions. You could find yourself destroying an outlet and in
>>> need of a very pain-in-the-ass replacement should the installation or
>>> wiring be as substandard as the outlet.
>> An outlet costs under $1, and it will last for many thousands of insertions.
>
> That crappy $1 outlet is going to be lotsa comfort to the guy who
> discovers he has old wiring that self-destructs the moment he removes
> the outlet

On the other hand, if my wiring were that bad, I'd want to find out about
it sooner rather than later, so that I could fix it.

- Logan

Fake ID

Jun 7, 2008, 3:08:02โ€ฏAM6/7/08
In article <6at1nuF...@mid.individual.net>,

Bill <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>The little boxes which plug into to the wall like cell phone chargers
>(called transformers, power supplies, or wall warts) are *always* using
>electricity! Even when not plugged into the cell phone.

As I understand it, the current generation of lightweight [travel]
chargers are switching power supplies and not only are more efficient
than transformers but use next to no power when there's no load.

Rod Speed

Jun 7, 2008, 5:28:10โ€ฏAM6/7/08

Not just travel chargers, most cellphone chargers have been switchers for a long time now.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 1:52:05โ€ฏAM6/8/08
SMS wrote:

Or at a yard sale for a buck or less.

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 1:54:46โ€ฏAM6/8/08
Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:

> My cell phone instructions say to plug the charger into the cell phone
> and *then* into the wall, rather than vice versa.

Samsung? A real nuisance, and it would have been nice of them to
explain just why THEIRS is different from everybody else's.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jun 8, 2008, 10:35:21โ€ฏAM6/8/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:
>
>> My cell phone instructions say to plug the charger into the cell phone
>> and *then* into the wall, rather than vice versa.
>
> Samsung? A real nuisance, and it would have been nice of them to
> explain just why THEIRS is different from everybody else's.

Yes, Samsung. Since I've never used any other, I don't find it a
problem. (And I don't leave it plugged in all the time, because I use
it only every five or six days and travel a fair amount and need to take
it with me.

>> Even though this sounds bizarre, in fact there can be a difference.
>> (In London, plugging a CPAP unit in in reverse order could blow the
>> fuse in it, while the right way around never did.)

George

Jun 8, 2008, 11:01:07โ€ฏAM6/8/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:
>
>> My cell phone instructions say to plug the charger into the cell phone
>> and *then* into the wall, rather than vice versa.
>
> Samsung? A real nuisance, and it would have been nice of them to
> explain just why THEIRS is different from everybody else's.
>
>> Even though this sounds bizarre, in fact there can be a difference.
>> (In London, plugging a CPAP unit in in reverse order could blow the
>> fuse in it, while the right way around never did.)

Whats the nuisance part? You need to make two connections (one to the
phone and one to the AC outlet) however you look at it. And it really
isn't a technically bad idea to connect a load to a power supply before
energizing the power supply.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 12:18:15โ€ฏPM6/8/08
George wrote:

I can't lose the charger if it's plugged in all the time. I guess I
could devote one switched power strip to chargers and just turn it on
when I need it. Hmmm....

--
Cheers, Bev
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Logan Shaw

Jun 8, 2008, 2:12:43โ€ฏPM6/8/08
George wrote:
> Whats the nuisance part? You need to make two connections (one to the
> phone and one to the AC outlet) however you look at it.

I measured my cell phone charger's current draw both with and without the
phone attached. The energy usage when the cell phone isn't plugged in is
negligible. Therefore, I leave the charger plugged in to the wall all the
time. The other end sits on top of my dresser where I keep my keys, wallet,
cell phone, coins, iPod, etc.

> And it really
> isn't a technically bad idea to connect a load to a power supply before
> energizing the power supply.

It's not a very user-friendly design. Flexibility is valuable. Rigid
restrictions when those restrictions aren't required from a technical
point of view (as evidenced by the fact that competing products don't
have the restriction) do not make for a very good design.

- Logan

Rod Speed

Jun 8, 2008, 2:50:02โ€ฏPM6/8/08
George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote

> The Real Bev wrote
>> Evelyn C. Leeper wrote

>>> My cell phone instructions say to plug the charger into the cell phone and *then* into the wall, rather than vice
>>> versa.

>> Samsung? A real nuisance, and it would have been nice of them to explain just why THEIRS is different from everybody
>> else's.

>>> Even though this sounds bizarre, in fact there can be a difference.
>>> (In London, plugging a CPAP unit in in reverse order could blow the fuse in it, while the right way around never
>>> did.)

> Whats the nuisance part?

Having to keep plugging and unplugging from the mains.

> You need to make two connections (one to the phone and one to the AC outlet) however you look at it.

You can leave it plugged into the wall and just plug it
into the phone when the phone needs to be charged.

> And it really isn't a technically bad idea to connect a load to a power supply before energizing the power supply.

But completely routine to design it so you dont have to.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 4:15:30โ€ฏPM6/8/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> Evelyn C. Leeper wrote

>>> Samsung? A real nuisance, and it would have been nice of them to
>>> explain just why THEIRS is different from everybody else's.

>> Whats the nuisance part?
>
> Having to keep plugging and unplugging from the mains.

And having to find the charger when you can't remember where you put it
2 weeks ago.

>> You need to make two connections (one to the phone and one to the
>> AC outlet) however you look at it.
>
> You can leave it plugged into the wall and just plug it into the
> phone when the phone needs to be charged.

Pay attention. For some reason Samsung doesn't want you to do that and
I'm not willing to risk letting all the smoke out just because their
design is less than optimal. Having to buy another phone is even less
optimal.

>> And it really isn't a technically bad idea to connect a load to a
>> power supply before energizing the power supply.
>
> But completely routine to design it so you dont have to.

Exactly. Too bad they didn't.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

Rod Speed

Jun 8, 2008, 4:39:50โ€ฏPM6/8/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote
>>> The Real Bev wrote

>>> Whats the nuisance part?

>> Having to keep plugging and unplugging from the mains.

> And having to find the charger when you can't remember where you put it 2 weeks ago.

I'm not stupid enough to put it anywhere, its always in the same place.

>>> You need to make two connections (one to the phone and one to the AC outlet) however you look at it.

>> You can leave it plugged into the wall and just plug it into the phone when the phone needs to be charged.

> Pay attention.

You're the one that needs to do that.

> For some reason Samsung doesn't want you to do that

Duh.

> and I'm not willing to risk letting all the smoke out just because their design is less than optimal.

Or you can avoid chargers that are that badly designed.

> Having to buy another phone is even less optimal.

Getting a charger that can stay plugged in all the time and
can have the phone plugged into the charger as required
doesnt require a shred of rocket science whatever.

And you dont even have to bother if you buy a Nokia in the first place.

>>> And it really isn't a technically bad idea to connect a load to a power supply before energizing the power supply.

>> But completely routine to design it so you dont have to.

> Exactly. Too bad they didn't.

Then I wont be bothering with their phone.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 7:16:12โ€ฏPM6/8/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote

>>> Having to keep plugging and unplugging from the mains.
>
>> And having to find the charger when you can't remember where you
>> put it 2 weeks ago.
>
> I'm not stupid enough to put it anywhere, its always in the same
> place.

There speaks a man who doesn't have to move something else in order to
set his handbag down or operate his mouse.

>>> You can leave it plugged into the wall and just plug it into the
>>> phone when the phone needs to be charged.
>
>> Pay attention.
>
> You're the one that needs to do that.
>
>> For some reason Samsung doesn't want you to do that
>
> Duh.
>
>> and I'm not willing to risk letting all the smoke out just because
>> their design is less than optimal.
>
> Or you can avoid chargers that are that badly designed.
>
>> Having to buy another phone is even less optimal.
>
> Getting a charger that can stay plugged in all the time and can have
> the phone plugged into the charger as required doesnt require a shred
> of rocket science whatever.
>
> And you dont even have to bother if you buy a Nokia in the first
> place.

I chose from what was available at the time. It may be noted that you
don't find out about ALL a complex product's details until you've
actually had to deal with it for a while.

If I ever have to buy another phone, I'll insist on one with voice
recognition so I don't have to negotiate a menu tree to call a number I
have in phone memory but not in brain memory. I really didn't
appreciate it when I had it.

--
Cheers, Bev
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens

Rod Speed

Jun 8, 2008, 8:31:33โ€ฏPM6/8/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> And having to find the charger when you can't remember where you put it 2 weeks ago.

>> I'm not stupid enough to put it anywhere, its always in the same place.

> There speaks a man who doesn't have to move something else in order to set his handbag down

Indeed, never need one to bash someone with.

> or operate his mouse.

Never stupid enough to operate the mouse where the phone charger is.

>>> Pay attention.

>> You're the one that needs to do that.

>>> For some reason Samsung doesn't want you to do that

>> Duh.

>>> and I'm not willing to risk letting all the smoke out just because their design is less than optimal.

>> Or you can avoid chargers that are that badly designed.

>>> Having to buy another phone is even less optimal.

>> Getting a charger that can stay plugged in all the time and can have the phone plugged into the charger as required
>> doesnt require a shred of rocket science whatever.

>> And you dont even have to bother if you buy a Nokia in the first place.

> I chose from what was available at the time.

You should choose where you do that choosing more carefully.

> It may be noted that you don't find out about ALL a complex product's details until you've actually had to deal with
> it for a while.

Anyone with a clue downloads the manual of something like that before buying it.

> If I ever have to buy another phone, I'll insist on one with voice
> recognition so I don't have to negotiate a menu tree to call a number I have in phone memory but not in brain memory.

Yeah, its quite handy.

> I really didn't appreciate it when I had it.

What, brain memory ?

Stormin Mormon

Jun 10, 2008, 10:49:30โ€ฏPM6/10/08
Good God, man! You've reinvented the outlet strip!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91334

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus