Inexpensive Life Insurance

† cal

May 16, 2008, 9:44:00 AM5/16/08

Hello,

i don't post here but am hoping you can help me.

i am 65 and need to get an inexpensive live insurance plan-----just
enough to put me in the ground so my son doesn't have to pay for it.

What plan or plans do you suggest i check out?

Thank you.

cal

Chloe

May 16, 2008, 10:50:00 AM5/16/08
""? cal"" <cal-...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Can't help on the insurance question, but suggest when you do find a policy,
you compare the cost against what your local funeral home would charge for a
pre-paid funeral. You can probably pay for that in installments, just as you
would the premium on a life insurance policy.

sarge137

May 16, 2008, 12:07:11 PM5/16/08
On May 16, 8:50 am, "Chloe" <justsa...@spam.com> wrote:
> ""? cal"" <cal-4-...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Bingo! At your age prepaid is the way to go. Assuming you're healthy
and live to your full actuarial age or more, it will cost far less
than any life insurance policy you'll find.

Be careful of what you see on those TV commercials about insurance to
cover "final expenses". Most of the ones they talk about are
unsecured debts that don't pass down to your heirs, and won't be paid
unless your estate is large enough that you don't have to worry about
it anyway.

Regards,
Sarge

Anthony Matonak

May 16, 2008, 2:39:57 PM5/16/08
sarge137 wrote:

> Be careful of what you see on those TV commercials about insurance to
> cover "final expenses". Most of the ones they talk about are
> unsecured debts that don't pass down to your heirs, and won't be paid
> unless your estate is large enough that you don't have to worry about
> it anyway.

Isn't it a little unethical to incur debts that you know won't
be paid if you die?

Anthony

Chloe

May 16, 2008, 4:36:32 PM5/16/08
"Anthony Matonak" <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote in message

Maybe. But personally, having seen all the pro-big-banking, anti-consumerist
legislation that's occurred during my lifetime, I hope I die with every
single one of my credit cards charged up to the max. Just call it getting
even--or, if you prefer, a cost of doing business for the card issuers.

After all, it's not as if they're ever going to stop sending me
solicitations for new cards. Even when I'm 90 years old.

† cal

May 16, 2008, 6:06:00 PM5/16/08
Back to subject, please!!!!! :-)

cal

sarge137

May 16, 2008, 9:42:35 PM5/16/08
On May 16, 12:39 pm, Anthony Matonak

No less ethical than the credit card companies that knowingly offer
cards to seniors on fixed incomes, in the hopes that their families
will feel guilty and pay the bills.

Anthony Matonak

May 17, 2008, 12:31:47 AM5/17/08
sarge137 wrote:
> On May 16, 12:39 pm, Anthony Matonak wrote:

>> Isn't it a little unethical to incur debts that you know won't
>> be paid if you die?
>
> No less ethical than the credit card companies that knowingly offer
> cards to seniors on fixed incomes, in the hopes that their families
> will feel guilty and pay the bills.

I agree that there is plenty of unethical, even criminal,
lending practices out there. I don't think this really has
much to do with the question though.

Does the fact that a lot of other people are doing things
as bad, or worse, justify your doing something wrong? Or,
if everyone is doing it, is it even wrong anymore?

Anthony

SpammersDie

May 17, 2008, 10:41:25 AM5/17/08

"Anthony Matonak" <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote in message

An unsecured loan is by definition, an investment that isn't backed up by
anything more than the debtor's ability to earn future income long enough to
generate a profitable return for the investor.

The lender is paid extra interest for the risk of loaning without insured
collateral.

So I don't see what's unethical here. It's not like anyone's saying they're
borrowing unsecured funds knowing that they're going to kill themselves the
next day and leave an insolvent estate.

hchi...@hotmail.com

May 17, 2008, 12:44:10 PM5/17/08

AARP has a plan, and if you search for "term life insurance" I'm sure
you'll find alternatives. I wouldn't go with pre-paid, after reading
numerous horror stories about such plans. When I go, I want to be
turned into Soylent Green, so that everybody can yell "Soylent Green
is Chickpeas!" and grab their crackers and pita bread.

sarge137

May 17, 2008, 12:40:45 PM5/17/08
On May 16, 10:31 pm, Anthony Matonak

<anthony...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:
> sarge137 wrote:
> > On May 16, 12:39 pm, Anthony Matonak wrote:
> >> Isn't it a little unethical to incur debts that you know won't
> >> be paid if you die?
>
> > No less ethical than the credit card companies that knowingly offer
> > cards to seniors on fixed incomes, in the hopes that their families
> > will feel guilty and pay the bills.
>
> I agree that there is plenty of unethical, even criminal,
> lending practices out there. I don't think this really has
> much to do with the question though.

Correct - but you're the one who raised the question of the ethics of
incurring debt that won't be paid when one dies.

> Does the fact that a lot of other people are doing things
> as bad, or worse, justify your doing something wrong? Or,
> if everyone is doing it, is it even wrong anymore?

Uh, yeah. If you stomp on my foot I'll stomp back, twice and harder.
If you try to scam me I'll do everything I can to turn it around on
you and scam you back.

Many gray areas in there, but that's how I personally respond to
people who try to take advantage of me, or engage in less than
straight forward business practices.

I don't even think about about what's right, wrong or ethical - just
how I can get even.

Regards,
Sarge